Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
local woods?be very carful detecting in st Augustine, lots of places off limits!!!!!!

chuck.

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey! Welcome to the desert on the ocean! Lots of sand but it will change! See ya!:icon_queen:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet and the hobby. Each beach is different but they all follow certain rules which would take to long to type here. Suggest you learn from the Master. The Golden Olde

AT PRO user

Mar 16, 2014
Ive been hunting the beach and local woods for a few weeks now and have found a feww small items. I am new to this hobby and would like to get better at it so im asking for any advice for a beginner. I will listen and pay attention to whatever knowledge is past to me. Thanks for your time.

What machine are you detecting with?

OP
OP
I

igottadig

Apr 14, 2014
St Augustine, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT PRO user- im using a detector i got for 200 dollars at Gander mtn. I know its not the best, but im just starting out. I believe it is a Teknetics or something like that. Everyone has been so welcoming on this site. I sure do appreciate all the advice.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Order this book on amazon.com:

Water Hunting: Secrets of the Pros

GL and HH

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome, igottadig,

Here's where I hunt ( from ist choice to "outta luck", exhausted, and dragging my feet as well as my coil :laughing7: )

#1) low tide "muddy flats" and especially rocky/mossy areas

#2) shoreline at any tide time..looking for "troughs" of any size

#3) wet sand slope following the low tide out

#4) 1st third of the beach after the high tide line

#5) middle of the beach

#6) upper part of beach

#7) on the way back to the car parking lot.( desperation setting in8-))

Now, I'm talking about the CT shoreline; but I hope I gave you some info to work with

Good luck

Lorraine

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where you hunt and when you hunt is important, but of equal importance is how you hunt the beach. Valuables can be lost anywhere on any given day. Cuts, washes, troughs, runnels, low spots, etc., they can come and go with the shifting of the currents or even a single tide change. The beach is a huge expansive place, a gold ring equates to little more then a microscopic spec within that sandy vastness. Point is, don't look at the entire beach and ask, "where." Instead, pick very small sections of the beach and hunt them thoroughly until you've covered every inch of those small sections. For every inch of beach you miss you begin increasing the odds against you. If people have been there, or the area has a history, then it's likely that something of value was left behind. It's our job to find it. The more beach you miss, the less likely your chances. Now, if you can find the type of places, or similar places, that Lorraine has already referenced then your odds of success increase dramatically. Prime locations + total coverage can = many successful hunts. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

igottadig

Apr 14, 2014
St Augustine, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for taking the time to explain. I am so hooked on detecting! I hope to post some cool finds in the near future but until then thank you both and happy hunting!

kladdhunden

Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What i did starting out was reading about beach hunting and then i went out to my local beach but to be honest almost nothing of what i did read was working for this beach.
Fresh drops are found everywere that has alot of ppl but the older coins/rings etc took me a long time to start finding.
All i do is dry/wet sand hunts,never in the water and this is my experience.
To make a long story short i put in alot of hours,ALOT and i started to notice patterns for example a line that 95% of the time had alot of older coins of the same type/weight gathered at a certain line high up the beach. i also found a line from mid beach to 2-3 meters above the middle of the beach that seemed to trap silver rings/junk rings and i found 75% of the silver rings at that line from that beach so it was no coincidence.
There was also a coin line towards the tide line below mid beach but not as productive as the higher one but it was showing a clear pattern after all the hunts.
I have only found the line thing on 1 of the 7 beaches in my area to be honest but then again i have been to that beach 10 times more then the others.
i do not know if this type of behavior is common on beaches but my Point is that u need to visit the beach alot and learn ur beach.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What i did starting out was reading about beach hunting and then i went out to my local beach but to be honest almost nothing of what i did read was working for this beach.
Fresh drops are found everywere that has alot of ppl but the older coins/rings etc took me a long time to start finding.
All i do is dry/wet sand hunts,never in the water and this is my experience.
To make a long story short i put in alot of hours,ALOT and i started to notice patterns for example a line that 95% of the time had alot of older coins of the same type/weight gathered at a certain line high up the beach. i also found a line from mid beach to 2-3 meters above the middle of the beach that seemed to trap silver rings/junk rings and i found 75% of the silver rings at that line from that beach so it was no coincidence.
There was also a coin line towards the tide line below mid beach but not as productive as the higher one but it was showing a clear pattern after all the hunts.
I have only found the line thing on 1 of the 7 beaches in my area to be honest but then again i have been to that beach 10 times more then the others.
i do not know if this type of behavior is common on beaches but my Point is that u need to visit the beach alot and learn ur beach.

Great point! I've always said that the guy who really takes the time to learn his area beaches is miles ahead of the pack. Learn the characteristics of those beaches well enough and you'll often know in advance where the holes, cuts, washes, runnels, troughs, etc., are most likely to develop every time there's a change in the wind & currents, etc. The biggest part of this game is having the ability to keep your coil over the best hunting grounds possible and learning your beaches can certainly help you to do that. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions