Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Nuttall Diamond head scoop as seen here ( 40" Diamond Head? Long Handle Stainless Steel Beach Sand Scoop )
but it is too narrow on the business end, I was thinking of a Stealth 8 Sugarland because it has the 1/2" holes and 1/4" holes for tiny items and was wondering what you guys/n gals use. Like I said I want a bigmouth scoop and this will be a water only scoop (I have a dry sand scoop already) but I want something rugged like my nuttall and I prefer SS. I seem to recal that "Beach Brute" was popular but I did an internet check and couldn't find any for sale. Do you have any recommendations on a nice heavy duty scoop. Thanks for looking, HH.

Here is the link to Stealth scoops: http://stealthscoop.com/prices-options.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have four Sunspot scoops. Long story. In my opinion they are the best made for us and my only trouble is deciding on the 90 degree handle or the offset one. The new fiber handle makes it lighter for sure. I like the offset handle for planting the point down without getting my glasses wet but find it harder on the wrist lifting it with one hand. The 90 degree I can lift easy with one hand in short hops and this knocks sand out too. Chuck makes a couple sizes and other hole sizes.
720i Sunspot.JPG

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasurefiend: send a PM if you need more information of the classic 8 Sugar Sand Scoop.

I started out with and still use a light weight all aluminum stand up water scoop with a 6” closed can type basket aluminum basket manufactured by RTG scoop for retrieving targets in dry and wet sands.
RTG also makes the larger makes the larger (8.5’w, 12” deep, 6” high basket closed can type scoop, which is sold thru KellyCo.
If you add the low cost stainless steel tip (you can order it as a kit ) from RTG, it will significantly increase the performance and extend the life of these well made stand up water scoops.

When I am shallow water hunting, I mostly use a sunspot sugar sand classic 8 which has a 90 degree handle . I really like this wide open basket scoop as I can hop it straight up in small steps and have it completely sifted which eases the strain on my hands and back. Also, you can break it free from the suction of the mud by just stepping on the smaller extended foot pad. Further, if you mount the lift assist high and backwards – it will work like a 20 degree angle handle and you do not have to bend forward in the water.

Unless there is very fine (sugar sand) where you treasure hunt, I would save a few bucks and stick with the one half inch hole pattern which drains more rapidly. You can always later add smaller wire mesh all the way up the basket when needed /desired for tiny items.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of both worlds can be obtained by mounting lift assist high and facing twrd you

Sandman: All you have to do is mount the lift assist high facing away from the basket and you have the best of both worlds
as you do not have to lean forward to dig - works great.

I learned this from another T Net member, IIRC in a reply to a thread by Ace350.

I have four Sunspot scoops. Long story. In my opinion they are the best made for us and my only trouble is deciding on the 90 degree handle or the offset one. The new fiber handle makes it lighter for sure. I like the offset handle for planting the point down without getting my glasses wet but find it harder on the wrist lifting it with one hand. The 90 degree I can lift easy with one hand in short hops and this knocks sand out too. Chuck makes a couple sizes and other hole sizes.
View attachment 979080

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just purchased an RTG Pro Water 6" today from Reilly's in Pompano Beach. Great beach scoop. I still have a hard working 4" I bought from them in 2000.

AT PRO user

Mar 16, 2014
I purchased the RTG 6" about a month ago. It's 1/8" aluminum. 1/2 holes around the sides 1/4 mesh on the bottom. Very well built has a plate with a slight radius on the bottom as a foot plate so you don't damage the mesh, the radius helps to not trap sand. Very nice scoop

Kimo

Greenie
Apr 4, 2014
Southern California
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Pro Pointer, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently have a nuttall and I'm looking for another. Want to sell it to me? If so, send me a price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread