Beach scoop upgrade - have a Nuttall but want a big mouth scoop like a Stealth
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sandman
  • 1 Post By AT PRO user

Thread: Beach scoop upgrade - have a Nuttall but want a big mouth scoop like a Stealth

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2008
    Chicago IL
    Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
    88 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Beach scoop upgrade - have a Nuttall but want a big mouth scoop like a Stealth

I have a Nuttall Diamond head scoop as seen here ( 40" Diamond Head? Long Handle Stainless Steel Beach Sand Scoop )
    but it is too narrow on the business end, I was thinking of a Stealth 8 Sugarland because it has the 1/2" holes and 1/4" holes for tiny items and was wondering what you guys/n gals use. Like I said I want a bigmouth scoop and this will be a water only scoop (I have a dry sand scoop already) but I want something rugged like my nuttall and I prefer SS. I seem to recal that "Beach Brute" was popular but I did an internet check and couldn't find any for sale. Do you have any recommendations on a nice heavy duty scoop. Thanks for looking, HH.

Here is the link to Stealth scoops: http://stealthscoop.com/prices-options.html
    Last edited by treasurefiend; Apr 15, 2014 at 08:00 PM.
    Come check out my MD'ing videos:
    http://youtube.com/user/TreasureFiend

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3977 times
    I have four Sunspot scoops. Long story. In my opinion they are the best made for us and my only trouble is deciding on the 90 degree handle or the offset one. The new fiber handle makes it lighter for sure. I like the offset handle for planting the point down without getting my glasses wet but find it harder on the wrist lifting it with one hand. The 90 degree I can lift easy with one hand in short hops and this knocks sand out too. Chuck makes a couple sizes and other hole sizes.
    Name:  720i Sunspot.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  26.8 KB
    treasurefiend likes this.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Jul 2012
    513 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Treasurefiend: send a PM if you need more information of the classic 8 Sugar Sand Scoop.

I started out with and still use a light weight all aluminum stand up water scoop with a 6” closed can type basket aluminum basket manufactured by RTG scoop for retrieving targets in dry and wet sands.
    RTG also makes the larger makes the larger (8.5’w, 12” deep, 6” high basket closed can type scoop, which is sold thru KellyCo.
    If you add the low cost stainless steel tip (you can order it as a kit ) from RTG, it will significantly increase the performance and extend the life of these well made stand up water scoops.

When I am shallow water hunting, I mostly use a sunspot sugar sand classic 8 which has a 90 degree handle . I really like this wide open basket scoop as I can hop it straight up in small steps and have it completely sifted which eases the strain on my hands and back. Also, you can break it free from the suction of the mud by just stepping on the smaller extended foot pad. Further, if you mount the lift assist high and backwards – it will work like a 20 degree angle handle and you do not have to bend forward in the water.

Unless there is very fine (sugar sand) where you treasure hunt, I would save a few bucks and stick with the one half inch hole pattern which drains more rapidly. You can always later add smaller wire mesh all the way up the basket when needed /desired for tiny items.

Jul 2012
    513 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Best of both worlds can be obtained by mounting lift assist high and facing twrd you

Sandman: All you have to do is mount the lift assist high facing away from the basket and you have the best of both worlds
    as you do not have to lean forward to dig - works great.

I learned this from another T Net member, IIRC in a reply to a thread by Ace350.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I have four Sunspot scoops. Long story. In my opinion they are the best made for us and my only trouble is deciding on the 90 degree handle or the offset one. The new fiber handle makes it lighter for sure. I like the offset handle for planting the point down without getting my glasses wet but find it harder on the wrist lifting it with one hand. The 90 degree I can lift easy with one hand in short hops and this knocks sand out too. Chuck makes a couple sizes and other hole sizes.
    Name:  720i Sunspot.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  26.8 KB
    Last edited by Sir Gala Clad; Apr 16, 2014 at 04:01 AM.

us
    Retired

Apr 2014
    CTX - Excal - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
    988 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Just purchased an RTG Pro Water 6" today from Reilly's in Pompano Beach. Great beach scoop. I still have a hard working 4" I bought from them in 2000.

Mar 2014
    66 times
    I purchased the RTG 6" about a month ago. It's 1/8" aluminum. 1/2 holes around the sides 1/4 mesh on the bottom. Very well built has a plate with a slight radius on the bottom as a foot plate so you don't damage the mesh, the radius helps to not trap sand. Very nice scoop
    penzfan likes this.

us
    Apr 2014
    Southern California
    AT Pro, Pro Pointer, Lesche
    7 times
    I currently have a nuttall and I'm looking for another. Want to sell it to me? If so, send me a price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links