CTX 17 inch

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have decided to get the 17 inch smart coil for beach hunting. After reading a lot, it seems that the best situation is clean regions free of trash and basically only after it has been hit with the standard coil first. Everyone says that depth is minimal and that the coil is great for covering ground. It's really a give and take when using this coil it seems. Any comments?

Cory

Upvote 0

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone expain why the minimal depth of such a large coil? I use a large coil on my F75 and haven't check what depth it gets. I hope to buy a new detector this year and minelab is on the table. I would like to hear more about the large coil issues?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My usual hunting partner swears by his, and I've seen him pull a lot of goodies while using the 17", even in chest deep "saltwater." I use an Excal and a 15" SEF and I really don't see much difference in depth VS the 8" coil on average sized gold targets, such as gold bands, even in this same deeper saltwater. The big bonus, as you pointed out is the added coverage area. Personally, from what I've witnessed and experience, the larger coils have gotten an unjustified bad rap when it comes to saltwater hunting. However, this is greatly dependent on factors such as turbulence, current, and one's ability to maintain constant and steady control over the coil, something that is much harder to do with a larger coil over all but the flattest of bottoms and calmest of waters. I think once you get use to using it you'll love it, but it's obviously not for everyone or every situation. Good luck and happy hunting. :thumbsup:

PS: There is, however, an obvious difference in depth on items like coins, silver objects, etc. One thing to keep in mind is this, not all coils, even the same model, are made to produce equal levels of performance. I went through three 15" SEF's before I got one that performed extremely well and noticeably different then the other two.

Last edited:

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried my buddies CTX and came to the conclusion that a swingy thingy is really needed. He uses one and swears by it. The 17 inch coil really makes it heavy. Without the swingy thingy your arms will be sore. =With it not so much. HH GFP

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beach coverage is great with the big coil, good depth on coin sized objects yet will still hit on smaller targets. Latest small target was a 1.8 gram dental crown 14k tested, (smaller than a dime of course) the 11" would have got it IF the coil went over it. Crown was only one scoop deep. Two downfalls I've noticed, it isn't good for pinpointing very shallow or surface targets, (pinpointing is good on deep targets), there is a trick to it I've yet to learn.. second unless you are an ape, you need to swing it slow or you will blow out your arm and elbow! Use a sling of some sort.

Cliff

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like it will take some getting used to. Guess I will need to try it out and maybe order the "thingy". Thanks.

Cory

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cory: from the satellite view of Guam, it looks like your beaches are very narrow and tend to be small.
If that is the case, you would be better off using the standard 11 inch coil which the CTX 3030 came with as it goes very deep.
Especially, if you are detecting in the water as the larger the coil the greater the drag.

So I have decided to get the 17 inch smart coil for beach hunting. After reading a lot, it seems that the best situation is clean regions free of trash and basically only after it has been hit with the standard coil first. Everyone says that depth is minimal and that the coil is great for covering ground. It's really a give and take when using this coil it seems. Any comments?

Cory

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, there is one main beach near all the hotels. It's about 2 miles long and about 3-4 feet deep to about 1/4 mile out. There are areas that we have cleaned up pretty well and are for the most part silent except for recent drops. Keep in mind there are only 5 of us detecting it. A big coil would be nice to cover more ground. If it even gives another 1-2 inches I would be happy.

Cory

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, there is one main beach near all the hotels. It's about 2 miles long and about 3-4 feet deep to about 1/4 mile out. There are areas that we have cleaned up pretty well and are for the most part silent except for recent drops. Keep in mind there are only 5 of us detecting it. A big coil would be nice to cover more ground. If it even gives another 1-2 inches I would be happy.

Cory

Sounds like a perfect candidate for the large coil. I think once you give it a fair chance and get the feel for it you'll be taking it off with less frequency. But it can certainly wear on you when hunting in the water, the larger diameter shaft along with the larger coil creates quite a bit of resistance. It can also create looseness and wear in the shaft cam-lock a lot quicker.

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well. It is a beast. Great coverage. Little extra depth I believe. Heavy. Worth the purchase with out a doubt.

ypasuquj.jpg

2014-04-22 19.52.33.jpg 2014-04-22 19.52.02.jpg

http://www.diglogs.com/forumBanner....jJehEHd8012nHyeHsajeyHDesuhfnsegfh2w73889243f

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG: I like what looks to be a silver ring and am curious as to what the outside inscriptions are/mean?

Please elaborate on what you mean by it's a beast?
Please quantify on quality of finds?

Did you detect over the same area ealier with the standard coil, or did you detect over areas not hunted by you?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well. It is a beast. Great coverage. Little extra depth I believe. Heavy. Worth the purchase with out a doubt.

ypasuquj.jpg

View attachment 982805 View attachment 982806

http://www.diglogs.com/forumBanner....jJehEHd8012nHyeHsajeyHDesuhfnsegfh2w73889243f

The more you use it the more you'll learn to appreciate it. Like I said earlier, a lot of the negative stuff you read & hear about these large coils in the saltwater simply isn't true, this information being largely dependent on where you hunt, the conditions being hunted, and how you manage the coil and settings. When conditions are right, however, you'll get excellent depth with good sensitivity. As long as you can keep it stable it's a great choice over the flatter bottoms in relatively calm waters. You're not going to miss much of anything that would likewise be in range of you 10" coil. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a second day out with the 17" (2 hour hunt), I am really enjoying using it. Found a couple pieces in a heavily hunted area so its for sure working. The plat was not super deep, but we have missed it 10-20 times over the past year, maybe 7-8". The one thing I do notice is that its pretty sensitive on +2,+3 with it being chattery with every little bump on the bottom. Little too chattery for my liking. The coverage is awesome though :) Couple from today.

DSC00981.JPG DSC00982.JPG DSC00983.JPG

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, a little chatty at times, the slightest little bump, up or down motion, or change in angle often causing it to false. It can be really touchy at times, a lot of matrix and mineralization under and around the coil. But, ironically, this isn't exactly a bad thing when kept to a minimum. I've even seen a few gold chains and their portions come up in the scoop. Nice scores, by the way. :thumbsup:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bejamble! I guess you are running "Seawater" on? Also saw one of your fellow hunters Guamchief on another forum with Excal helping rid the beaches of jewelry. He posted 5 rings he found in 2 days. Thanks for sharing your finds.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get great depth on my 15 and 18 inch coils... I have found targets at 15-20 inches on both. Using reverse descrimination on excal and 18" SEF Butterfly on Sov GT.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casca: Think of it in terms of volume (the number of buckets of sand/mud) under a search coil that a detector has to process. When the diameter (size) of a search coil is increased the area under the search coil widens and the depth increases. Since the ground matrix (everything under the coil, including desired target(s) has increased, the return of any target relative to the ground matrix becomes smaller. Stated otherwise, as the diameter of a search coil increase(s) the surface area of the target must increase at the greater depth to be detected as the coil is less sensitive.

Can anyone expain why the minimal depth of such a large coil? I use a large coil on my F75 and haven't check what depth it gets. I hope to buy a new detector this year and minelab is on the table. I would like to hear more about the large coil issues?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread