This Happen to Anyone Else?

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has happened at least once every time I am at the beach. Is this just a South FloriDUH phenomenon? Okay here goes- i am walking down the beach swinging my MD. It is still early, the beach isn't crowded but you have the early morning joggers, walkers, and sea shell hunters. I am walking slow and swinging my MD from side to side, ya know how we do it ;), and a person will almost walk right into you! Or they walk so close that you hit them with your MD!! I know for a fact that these brain dead people see me coming a mile away too. If this only happened a few times i would just shrug it off but it has happened a lot. I have even had to say something to a few people because it royally pisses me off!

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess this is the way I look at things now......the other day I had a guy flip me off because I "almost" pulled out in front of him, not even a close call, just almost. But here's the thing, in the big picture, the one that matters, "almost isn't". If I allowed myself to get pissed off or irritated every time someone "almost" did this or that, well, in today's world I'd probably be pissed off a great deal of the time. :laughing7: But to what good would it serve me?

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess this is the way I look at things now......the other day I had a guy flip me off because I "almost" pulled out in front of him, not even a close call, just almost. But here's the thing, in the big picture, the one that matters, "almost isn't". If I allowed myself to get pissed off or irritated every time someone "almost" did this or that, well, in today's world I'd probably be pissed off a great deal of the time. :laughing7: But to what good would it serve me?

You are absolutely right. I need to relax. South Florida wears on me.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Stress" nearly put me under the sand.....I'd much rather remain on top of it for as long as possible. :laughing7: :thumbsup:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the Sun is in their eyes or something is in the water, like mass quantities of alcohol the night before. If you ever discover what makes people like this tick, let the rest of us know. GL & HH.

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
Trent67 i feel your pain,i swear the futher you go south,the people get rude and nasty..as for driving its unbearable

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not defending them but it may be they see you and even if not intentionally they are focused on you and it affects their tracking along that line. Firm sand below soft and above water going to cause gravitation to that area as well.
My rule is your right to swing your fist ends an inch from my nose. Otherwise no blood no foul.
Maybe its good I don,t beach hunt?
Happy hunting.

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet if..every third or fourth step, point your MDer to the sky..then, start "swearing & ranting" at the top of your lungs! then 'quietly' bring it back down...you will get a wide girth ;)

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Bet if..every third or fourth step, point your MDer to the sky..then, start "swearing & ranting" at the top of your lungs! then 'quietly' bring it back down...you will wide get a wide girth"

LMAO!! So funny!:laughing7:

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe you should try wearing a bright orange or yellow shirt?

Naw, it probably wouldn't help for most of these non-lookie-lous.

I'm a really big guy, and I'm always surprised when someone
doesn't see me. How can I NOT be visible? I'm huge! And I wear a
light-colored shirt on the beach when it's dark. But apparently sometimes
I'm not very visible to some people.

So that means that YOU, presumably a more normal-sized person, will be
run into even more than I am. So you have my sympathy. But really, maybe
you should consider the bright shirt idea.

Tom

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not defending them but it may be they see you and even if not intentionally they are focused on you and it affects their tracking along that line. Firm sand below soft and above water going to cause gravitation to that area as well. My rule is your right to swing your fist ends an inch from my nose. Otherwise no blood no foul. Maybe its good I don,t beach hunt? Happy hunting.

These aren't fellow MDers just clueless joggers and beach strollers

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet if..every third or fourth step, point your MDer to the sky..then, start "swearing & ranting" at the top of your lungs! then 'quietly' bring it back down...you will wide get a wide girth ;)

HAHA! This reminds me of one of my favorite fictional characters for Tim Dorsey novels- Serge Storms!! Great Florida fiction... although in Florida the events that occur in Dorsey's book could be considered non fiction!

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you should try wearing a bright orange or yellow shirt? Naw, it probably wouldn't help for most of these non-lookie-lous. I'm a really big guy, and I'm always surprised when someone doesn't see me. How can I NOT be visible? I'm huge! And I wear a light-colored shirt on the beach when it's dark. But apparently sometimes I'm not very visible to some people. So that means that YOU, presumably a more normal-sized person, will be run into even more than I am. So you have my sympathy. But really, maybe you should consider the bright shirt idea. Tom

Lol, I'm not wearing dessert camo. ;)

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I failed to mention in my OP that this happens when people walk or jog up from behind. If i see people coming toward me i will certainly get out of the way. But it has happened while i was preoccupied trying to pinpoint a target or deciding if i want to dig. Let's see if it still happens now that all of the French Canadian snow birds have gone home!

Could be projection on your part!

Many times people blame others for their shortcomings

Feelings of a loss of personal control with a need to protect ones own space.

From your resentments stated I would try viewing others as possible new friends and acquaintances.

I ended up enjoying my metal detector on the beaches of Mexico as a way to meet people or ladies - it worked better than a puppy!

Sounds like you could use a friend

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When Im water hunting people wade out and cut me off...if I don't stop they will run into me...happens all the time...I guess they could say I was cutting them off. Were both going in a straight line, someone has to stop. I guess the times that they stop, I don't notice as much. Works both ways. Someone coming from behind and clipping you is wrong...some people feel like the beach is for their activity and not yours.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be projection on your part! Many times people blame others for their shortcomings Feelings of a loss of personal control with a need to protect ones own space. From your resentments stated I would try viewing others as possible new friends and acquaintances. I ended up enjoying my metal detector on the beaches of Mexico as a way to meet people or ladies - it worked better than a puppy! Sounds like you could use a friend

That is sad.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be projection on your part! Many times people blame others for their shortcomings Feelings of a loss of personal control with a need to protect ones own space. From your resentments stated I would try viewing others as possible new friends and acquaintances. I ended up enjoying my metal detector on the beaches of Mexico as a way to meet people or ladies - it worked better than a puppy! Sounds like you could use a friend

Not trying to be rude Robot but you just dont get it. I have plenty of friends, am a very nice guy, but when people come up behind me and rub shoulders they are just being *******s. I can't put it a nicer way. I talk to plenty of people on the beach when I am detecting. I am a very social person. When people start showing interest when I am digging or watching me swing I always stop and talk to them. I give kids my matchbox cars and toys when they approach me. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. Good look meeting ladies metal detecting. ;)

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When Im water hunting people wade out and cut me off...if I don't stop they will run into me...happens all the time...I guess they could say I was cutting them off. Were both going in a straight line, someone has to stop. I guess the times that they stop, I don't notice as much. Works both ways. Someone coming from behind and clipping you is wrong...some people feel like the beach is for their activity and not yours.

Absolutely. If people are coming towards me while I am walking toward them, i always stop or get out of their way. It is when they come from behind and almost clip me that I have a problem with. There are a lot of people walking on the beach down here. Families with kids lugging beach chairs etc. I am not a grumpy, aggressive yahoo that some of these people are making me out to be. Some people just dont get.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let it go Trent, how is this worthy of 3 pages , I remember when t net was about showing and getting info on finds made , and in general positive promotion of our shared hobby ,

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let it go Trent, how is this worthy of 3 pages , I remember when t net was about showing and getting info on finds made , and in general positive promotion of our shared hobby ,

Agreed. Let's put this to bed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread