This Happen to Anyone Else?

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has happened at least once every time I am at the beach. Is this just a South FloriDUH phenomenon? Okay here goes- i am walking down the beach swinging my MD. It is still early, the beach isn't crowded but you have the early morning joggers, walkers, and sea shell hunters. I am walking slow and swinging my MD from side to side, ya know how we do it ;), and a person will almost walk right into you! Or they walk so close that you hit them with your MD!! I know for a fact that these brain dead people see me coming a mile away too. If this only happened a few times i would just shrug it off but it has happened a lot. I have even had to say something to a few people because it royally pisses me off!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when you see they are headed straight towards you, bear to the right
just like you would want them to do, to avoid running into you.

courtesy can work both ways :tongue3:

Usually looking someone straight in the eyes and a Smile & Nod will work wonders also.
and if they are too busy to look up, but you are, then it's your job
to avoid bumping them imo

that or build a horn or caution lights for your forehead

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when you see they are headed straight towards you, bear to the right just like you would want them to do, to avoid running into you. courtesy can work both ways :tongue3:

Wow, what great advice, move out of the way! I DO move out of the way when I see them coming. The thing is Jeff, when my head is down and someone is just walking at me and doesn't get out of the way i have a problem with that. I consider myself a kind and considerate person and would never intentionally play chicken with someone.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what to say Trent. I don't normally hunt areas where strangers would be walking near me
Unless they are being curious & headed for me to talk.

so What you describe is Alien to me :tongue3:

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually looking someone straight in the eyes and a Smile & Nod will work wonders also.
and if they are too busy to look up, but you are, then it's your job
to avoid bumping them imo

that or build a horn or caution lights for your forehead

Jeff I dont think you are getting what Im saying. I know how to interact with people and I am always saying good morning and smiling at people. But if my head is down and a jogger brushes by me and hits my shoulder, something is wrong. I guess you cant escape the rudeness of South Floridians. I loved growing up here but this place is just too crowded with a lot of rude and inconsiderate people.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what to say Trent. I don't normally hunt areas where strangers would be walking near me Unless they are being curious & headed for me to talk. so What you describe is Alien to me :tongue3:

No worries Jeff. I was just venting. I should have pointed out that this happens mostly when they are coming up behind me.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries Jeff. I was just venting. I should have pointed out that this happens mostly when they are coming up behind me.

That is just plain rude/Idiotic on their part.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happens.....people just seem to stroll in straight lines. I always make way or pause to let them pass. It can be a lot like a freeway out there sometimes, and honestly, our paths are seen to be a lot like a drunk driver or merging traffic in their eyes. No big deal, just a typical and commonplace occurrence on the beach freeway.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL someone is missing the point - Seriously doubt walking lessons are needed It's an uncrowded beach early morning that should say enough

Thank you!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Stupid people. There are a lot of them, and they are everywhere. You will find them on the road, at the supermarket, and yes, even while metal detecting on the beach. Basically anywhere you have people, there will be some stupid ones.

Unless you live on a deserted island, you have to deal with them. To preserve your own sanity, its best to just ignore them.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the point "exactly". :laughing7: Been there many, many, times. It is never going to change, always been that way and always will be. Let these little things get under your skin and they'll forever own a piece of your as$, dictate your personal happiness, etc. Enjoy your time on the beach, move past and ignore the little things. :thumbsup: Life is good.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Reverse strategy, I just drop down or move out of the way. Then jump in behind them and dig the targets they miss...Now this is wetsand hunting with the viper n skullies, I can get as deep as PI's, in the water I have to fake digging behind the PI's...

Many times when I first start hunting I look for another hunter just to leach off his trail.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people have no courtesy or are complete boobs! But you Say it happens Every Time you go to the beach, You know for a fact they see you,while your looking down(How far down are you looking?)(what are you looking at ?)and people bump your shoulder , and than they are behind you? It sounds like people don't like you at that beach! Happy hunting and heads up!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
When strangers bump into you in public like that it's usually because they are picking your pocket.

I dunno about you, but all they will get out of me are lot's of pull tabs and can slaw...

As they approach from behind, fart.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
It sounds like people don't like you at that beach!
I think it is a matter of being territorial, Some feel they have all rights to that beach and no one else. But they are public beach's and there for everyone. I have run into that hunting the Chesapeake Bay, special Sandy Point, 15 hunters on the weekends and only a few will talk to you when hunting time is done. (6am to 9am) They don't like new faces.....digging their beach..

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people have no courtesy or are complete boobs! But you Say it happens Every Time you go to the beach, You know for a fact they see you,while your looking down(How far down are you looking?)(what are you looking at ?)and people bump your shoulder , and than they are behind you? It sounds like people don't like you at that beach! Happy hunting and heads up!

I failed to mention in my OP that this happens when people walk or jog up from behind. If i see people coming toward me i will certainly get out of the way. But it has happened while i was preoccupied trying to pinpoint a target or deciding if i want to dig. Let's see if it still happens now that all of the French Canadian snow birds have gone home!

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, let my verify that it only happens on the beach in the wet sand near the water where people like to jog and stroll in the morning. But still if you are coming up behind me and bump into me or almost take out my detector while I am swinging it you are just a moron.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the point "exactly". :laughing7: Been there many, many, times. It is never going to change, always been that way and always will be. Let these little things get under your skin and they'll forever own a piece of your as$, dictate your personal happiness, etc. Enjoy your time on the beach, move past and ignore the little things. :thumbsup: Life is good.

Great advice. I have a very stressful job as I am sure many do and MDing is my time to relax. I need to brush things off and roll with it. But don't even get me started on driving down here in south Florida!!!!!! LOL!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread