Whites surfmaster pi 950

Apr 2, 2014
Still new to the pi took out my whites surfmaster it picks up coins and junk just fine but jewelry like my necklace and ring which I know is real gold doesn't pick up someone told me to set it at presets but thy doesn't work either tried numerous air test with no luck what am I doing wrong never have this problem with my at pro or my other vlf's any help will be appreciated

Upvote 0

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Still new to the pi took out my whites surfmaster it picks up coins and junk just fine but jewelry like my necklace and ring which I know is real gold doesn't pick up someone told me to set it at presets but thy doesn't work either tried numerous air test with no luck what am I doing wrong never have this problem with my at pro or my other vlf's any help will be appreciated

That's why I 86'd the dual field! Wouldn't pick up gold chains, or gold hoop earrings....worked fine for rings though. Detects deeeep also, but not fun when it's iron. Could have been user error but whites told me why. Moved on to greener paths.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did White's tell you?
Was it User error, problem with specific detector you were using, or is problem common to all Dual Fields/ 950s?

That's why I 86'd the dual field! Wouldn't pick up gold chains, or gold hoop earrings....worked fine for rings though. Detects deeeep also, but not fun when it's iron. Could have been user error but whites told me why. Moved on to greener paths.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
They told me the dual field won't pick up gold hoop earrings because it's not a continuous loop so the detecter can't pick it up and it only sees gold chains as a individual link not as whole items. It's great for rings and iron though! Problem was there's more iron then rings! The other problem was my buddy found the gold hoop with his and my dual field didn't know it was there,buried at different depths air tests, and actually rubbing it on the coil and I couldn't tell it was there. Every setting combination you can think of plus from clives book and recommended dealers settings but nothing worked! Tried again with this white gold diamond hoop and they said yeah white gold is tuff! I thought well I'll try to hang in with this machine for deep rings but a continuous stream of iron and the thought of wondering if there's a gold chain or hoop earring under my coil every time i was out hunting took it's toll on me. Depth is great but not for every type of metal in the ground just the good stuff. The problem is there's more junk metal then gold, silver and platinum! Being that's all anybody wants then why should I have dug every junk target when I could have moved onto a good target? Less time digging junk metal such as iron, the more time searching ahead for a good sounding target. Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet image-307746640.jpg

I almost forgot to mention it picked up a similar size junk hoop just fine, so I asked whites how come a junk hoop but not a gold hoop?
The response still blows my mind every time I think of it!! They replied "I don't know!"

Last edited:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You can review my old thread from this time period, it's called Dualfield disappointment

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just the nature of MOST detectors, PIs included. Here's the thing, you can modify a PI to pick up tiny gold but then you lose a LOT of depth and stability in saltwater. It's all a trade off.

If you want to find tiny gold, you need a detector made to find tiny gold. Personally, I don't care about tiny, thin chains. They have no real melt value. I am happy to pass them up and keep digging ring and chains with pendants.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with most of that theory but all that little gold ads up!
That is if we can find it!
Good luck hunting small gold and big!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small gold is much better than a pull tab...people say they don't care about small gold, when in fact they would love to find small gold...they may not worry about it but they would sure like to find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread