Why is my M detector going haywire near wet sand???

igottadig

Apr 14, 2014
St Augustine, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that salt makes the MD act up but it seems to just go crazy when i detect near the waterline. I have a moderately priced MD a Teknetic about 200 dollars at gander mt. I feel that if i turn the sensitivity down, im going to miss out on finds. Most of the items i have found have all been about 10-12 inches down at most. what depths do you all find items? Ive been really hitting the wet sand/mud area at low tide but it gets frustrating when i get so many false hits. Should i start saving and get a better MD or is there any advice anyone can give? i have been mostly going to the beach and to a wooded area I got permission to hunt. I love the beach but just havent had much luck. Any more wisdom that you guys can give? Thanks to all that have responded to my questions so far. It really helps and I feel like everyone on this site is really kind in giving tips and advice to "newbies" like myself

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a single freq detector, the salt minerals is causing it to false because it thinks there is metal everywhere..... You need a multifreq or PI to hunt salt beaches with out the falsing. Turn your sense down, yes you will lose depth, but it will stabilize and not false as much.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where a 6 month old Sovereign GT for sale is. One of the best beach machines made. Send me a pm if interested

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where a 6 month old Sovereign GT for sale is. One of the best beach machines made. Send me a pm if interested

Sovereigns are fantastic beach detectors and can also be used in shallow water as long as you are real careful not to take it swimming...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread