CTX 17 results

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are this weeks finds using the 17inch in saltwater. Happy so far :)

byna8ane.jpg

http://www.diglogs.com/forumBanner....jJehEHd8012nHyeHsajeyHDesuhfnsegfh2w73889243f

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can see why. Nice finds!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! :thumbsup: Just curious, are you finding it easier then expected to pinpoint with the larger coil? I know I did.

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why they didn't consider the drag issue? Even the shaft size/design creates more drag, especially with that large coil on the end. Not quite as bad with the Excal and SEF but still quite noticeable. I don't use one "yet" but TH, Diamondr, and a few other hunters I know who routinely use the larger coils in the water swear by their harness assemblies. I plan on adding one soon.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing to keep an eye on is that shaft cam-lock assembly and the wear on your lower shaft, a lot of added pressure applied here due to the increased drag. If it starts getting a bit loose it will start wearing away even faster. Just a heads up on that little issue.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And your moving why again? Nice finds! The 17" is like a trashcan lid in a current. It pinpoints great on land but in waist deep water it can be challenging. Congratulations!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also find this helpful. I went to a few different drug stores, walgreens, cvs, etc., and eventually found an elastic wrist support that you just slide on even though it has rigid supports inside the linings, a couple of thin Velcro straps to snug things up. It was actually for carpal tunnel, about $25. This took a great deal of pressure off of my wrist and forearm when using the larger coil on longer hunts.

Un Da Da Sea

Mar 8, 2014
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
White's Dual field
Minelab excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice finds.
Good for you.

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done. You're killing those rings. Keep it up.

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that you've put some time in with the larger coil submerged in a saltwater environment, would you agree that it being submerged dosen't negatively effect it's performance as badly as some might think? i.e., good depth and sensitivity?

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
You are doing great with the large coil. Nice finds!

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that you've put some time in with the larger coil submerged in a saltwater environment, would you agree that it being submerged dosen't negatively effect it's performance as badly as some might think? i.e., good depth and sensitivity?

I would have to agree with most used Ib the big coil. It does not add huge depth, maybe an inch or yep. I will say the sensitivity was a little better than I expected. I found a tiny silver earring back that I thought was pretty impressive. It was .26 grams. The only slight disadvantage its its weight and drag underwater. I can only about 5 hours with it. With the additional ground coverage though, I can't complain. Serious ground coverage no doubt. Over all, it's awesome!

http://www.diglogs.com/forumBanner....jJehEHd8012nHyeHsajeyHDesuhfnsegfh2w73889243f

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot comment on the 17 inch coil being tiring as I have not detected with it yet. However, I can comment on the drag of the lower shaft, having detected into the current with the 6 inch smart coil.
Essentially with a coil this small the CTX 3030 shaft resembles an enormous swizzle stick/blender.

I could barely get out of bed the next morning having hunted only three hours with it, approx 30 minutes of the time was sweeping into inflowing current. I felt worse, I would say at least 10 times worse, than I did after my first hunt (8 hours on dry and wet sand with an Excal ll with 10 inch coil mounted on the standard S Shaft (sigh).

I strongly agree with big scoop’s post about the drag issue suspecting part of the reason for the drag in the water is that the shaft is not smooth; it has a diamond pattern etched on it for gripping. Further, the smaller coil tends to jerk / stick when sweeping it across the sand on its skid plate (bottom coil cover).
I do this all the time on the X cal 1000 as I injured my shoulder surfing years ago.

The small coil really gives your shoulder a workout, having to sweep Left to Right, Right to Left approximately two to three times to cover the same area as one sweep with the standard 11 inch DD coil. I was surprised, that I was not able to sweep the small coil faster and that coil control was crucial, most likely because the coil is not over the target as long.

Don’t be surprised, when/if you see a treasure hunter wearing a harness assembly while sweeping an itty bitty coil on the CTX 3030 :censored:
Not sure why they didn't consider the drag issue? Even the shaft size/design creates more drag, especially with that large coil on the end. Not quite as bad with the Excal and SEF but still quite noticeable. I don't use one "yet" but TH, Diamondr, and a few other hunters I know who routinely use the larger coils in the water swear by their harness assemblies. I plan on adding one soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread