Beach Metal Detecting to be banned in Mass. effective July 1

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
All:

Not sure if you've seen the post in another forum on T-Net, but apparently there is a new law about to go into effect (July 1) which will ban the use of metal detectors on all DCR beaches (basically all public beaches). There is a petition that has been started that I urge you to sign and to pass on to as many people as you can. Once detecting is banned on MA beaches, it opens the door to bans in other states. Lets try to stop this insanity if we can. Thanks. I will attach a link to the petition below.

MoveOn Petitions - Commissioner Jack Murray: Stop the banning of metal detecting on Massachusetts beaches

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is posted in a couple forums.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know reason(s) stated for pending / proposed ban?

All:

Not sure if you've seen the post in another forum on T-Net, but apparently there is a new law about to go into effect (July 1) which will ban the use of metal detectors on all DCR beaches (basically all public beaches). There is a petition that has been started that I urge you to sign and to pass on to as many people as you can. Once detecting is banned on MA beaches, it opens the door to bans in other states. Lets try to stop this insanity if we can. Thanks. I will attach a link to the petition below.

MoveOn Petitions - Commissioner Jack Murray: Stop the banning of metal detecting on Massachusetts beaches

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's posted on other thread in one of my replies is a link to proposed law...

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir GC- check out the top of "Metal Detecting" & "General Discussion"
There's more info there!
Hopefully it can be stopped BEFORE it spreads!

Louisiana Ken

Sep 17, 2012
Lacombe, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excallibur II
Minelab E-Trac
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Have you read the fine print ?!!!! I refuse to sign anything that anti-military group "MoveOn.org" is apart of. Period!!!!

Kenny
USMC Veteran (88-95)

OP
OP
Mi$terG

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Of course I read the fine print. And for the record I'm a MA republican... I just signed the petition. When I got a mail from them I unsubscribed. Done.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you read the fine print ?!!!! I refuse to sign anything that anti-military group "MoveOn.org" is apart of. Period!!!!

Kenny
USMC Veteran (88-95)

So you'd cut off your nose to spite your face!?!? The petition has nothing to do with that organization's other political outlooks. If we don't try to quash this law before it gets started there is a good chance it will snowball and we will lose more areas to hunt. I understand that you were in the military, supposedly to uphold our freedoms. By not signing the petition you are not upholding our freedoms or rights, you are willing to let a government department take them away. When we have no more rights what will there be left to fight for?? I signed, and have not heard a peep from them about any anti-military agendas. The military also is not always in the right, remember Kent State?? Please sign the petition and try to keep our freedom to hunt public beaches free from useless laws forced upon us by uneducated beaurocrats. These places are supposed to be open for the use of the PUBLIC, that means ALL of us!!

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this hype and commentary, yet, not a single link to this alleged proposed law banning detecting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this hype and commentary, yet, not a single link to this alleged proposed law banning detecting.

I posted the link in one of my replies.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/ne...olicies-and-regs/302-cmr-12-draft-8-23-13.pdf
The metal detecting prohibition is on page 14 and reads:

(23) Special Use Permit Required. Unless authorized by a special use permit issued in
accordance with 302 CMR 12.17(2), no person may:

[bunch of other stuff ommitted}

h. Use or offer for use metal detectors, except with permission from DCR personnel, for the purposes of locating lost personal property.

Last edited:

Louisiana Ken

Sep 17, 2012
Lacombe, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excallibur II
Minelab E-Trac
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm not going to validate MoveOn.org's existence in any way shape or form. They have no interest in Metal Detecting whatsoever. They are strictly a political group with a political agenda of limiting our liberties. If the klan were to put together the same petition would you sign up? Hope not. MoveOn cut the military deep just like Hanoi Jane. I could go on and on and on.

Now if TreasureNet were to create a petition for the same cause, which I think should have happened, I would sign up and promote it.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a talk with Barker in General Discussion and see if he has a separate page with a petition or if it's the same one.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The current state of the USA. lots of government jobs and nothing useful for those people to do except continually restrict the rights of others by solving what they identify as "problems."

Love my people, hate my government

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/ne...olicies-and-regs/302-cmr-12-draft-8-23-13.pdf
The metal detecting prohibition is on page 14 and reads:

(23) Special Use Permit Required. Unless authorized by a special use permit issued in
accordance with 302 CMR 12.17(2), no person may:

h. Use or offer for use metal detectors, except with permission from DCR personnel, for the purposes of locating lost personal property.

Thanks TH.

Intresting enough, this is nothing new. We've had to get "special permits" in Florida for umpteen years.
Case in point: Ft.Desoto (permit required, state park) -- Honeymoon Island (state park, no hunting, but permission given for finding "lost" items).
Florida law states no hunting in state parks, period, but it varies from park to park, ranger to ranger.

In hernando county (and others) permits are required to hunt city parks ... etc.

I'll assume the "hoopla" is over someone being inconvenienced into getting a permit to do so.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TH.

Intresting enough, this is nothing new. We've had to get "special permits" in Florida for umpteen years.
Case in point: Ft.Desoto (permit required, state park) -- Honeymoon Island (state park, no hunting, but permission given for finding "lost" items).
Florida law states no hunting in state parks, period, but it varies from park to park, ranger to ranger.

In hernando county (and others) permits are required to hunt city parks ... etc.

I'll assume the "hoopla" is over someone being inconvenienced into getting a permit to do so.

That was why I asked in different thread if all beaches were state parks or state owned. We have same restrictions here on State parks like you stated

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understand, a lot of states pass these laws but actually leave the final word to the property manager. I know it is this way in Indiana at some state parks, and not just with metal detecting. I think a lot of this resistance, honestly, is simply because there is a mindset that we are not a part of the typical beach crowd, that we are somehow being viewed as something other then just another body enjoying the same beach. We enter the water and it isn't viewed the same as swimming, we dig a hole in the beach and we're not just playing in the sand like everyone else. Kind of like seeing an orange dangling from an apple tree, it just doesn't look right to them, looks out of place. :dontknow:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly! The OP of the petition is requesting beach trash pics to show the DCR commissioner. OP e-mail: [email protected]. If the beach hunters could help us out with that great!

Our state parks were shut to detecting a while back only place it WAS
allowed was on the beaches, and now they want that shut down. From reading what TH posted of the "rules" you can only look for "known" lost items with requested and received head park ranger's permission.
In other words if a tourist lost a ring they want us to volunteer to look just for just that item, I don't think we would be allowed to keep anything we dug up in the process- although they would probably make an exception for the trash which we would then be responsible to dispose of properly!

I'm not even sure we would be allowed to look for our "own" lost items.

2 guys are walking the beach, both find a silver 1964 dime one guy picks it off the sand, the other 1" below the sand because he is using a metal detector, both pocket the dime and walk away. Only the guy with the detector would get in trouble, why? Because he is an MD'er.
All those silver coins will be off limits this year, 1964/2014=50 years! they are now antiquities!

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly! The OP of the petition is requesting beach trash pics to show the DCR commissioner. OP e-mail: [email protected]. If the beach hunters could help us out with that great!

Our state parks were shut to detecting a while back only place it WAS
allowed was on the beaches, and now they want that shut down. From reading what TH posted of the "rules" you can only look for "known" lost items with requested and received head park ranger's permission.
In other words if a tourist lost a ring they want us to volunteer to look just for just that item, I don't think we would be allowed to keep anything we dug up in the process- although they would probably make an exception for the trash which we would then be responsible to dispose of properly!

I'm not even sure we would be allowed to look for our "own" lost items.

2 guys are walking the beach, both find a silver 1964 dime one guy picks it off the sand, the other 1" below the sand because he is using a metal detector, both pocket the dime and walk away. Only the guy with the detector would get in trouble, why? Because he is an MD'er.
All those silver coins will be off limits this year, 1964/2014=50 years! they are now antiquities!

Thats a bit extreme ...

(23) Special Use Permit Required.

Go signup for your permit and carry on.

Nickkcin

Apr 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's my understanding after speaking with a DCR employee this week that most of the sea shore here in Mass is either national sea shore or local town beaches.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a bit extreme ...

Go signup for your permit and carry on.

Not exactly true! The only permit is that you are permitted after requesting permission. to look for "a" specific lost item, you cannot look for anything else! Just that item that is identified by the person that lost it.
So you are going to stand there all day waiting for a request from the public to find their lost ring, and before you can do that you need to play " mother may I " with the head park ranger, and I am pretty sure you cannot keep anything you dig up except the trash! Which you must properly dispose of!

DCR beaches are listed, there are quite a few, some are also town beaches like Revere, Quincy, Carson, Freeport, Sucusset (sp), and a lot of others. I'm guessing but 80% of the beaches would be off limits. National sea shore is on the outer facing shore of the Cape Cod, also Fort Independence in South Boston. Each town beach also has it's own rules, like the one I was told I could detect but not dig up anything.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread