firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, it's that time of the year! We will start having it soon too.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the summer, when you see that weed coming in, the sand is usually coming in with it. It's starting here as well, everything being pushed straight in with no cross currents to do any type of cutting or redistribution. This is really common during those summer negative low tides, which we are having right now. Once this negative cycle starts to fade back into positive tides all of this sand and weed will start to get cut and redistributed again as the "lone shore" currents and "rips" start to move back in along the beach due to the increased volume of water and increased force of the surf. Personally, I don't like the negative tide cycles just for this reason, too much soft sand piling up everywhere and anything fairly dense sinking rather quickly. Makes for some really comfortable and easy water hunting, for sure, but good targets are usually much harder to come across, especially in the water. Once the heavier volume and force returns to the beach it will often create low spots, cuts, etc., in this soft sand buildup and expose a lot more targets that you couldn't get at during the negative tide period. These heavier surf conditions will also serve to scatter a lot of items like coins on the beach. Of course, this is the typical run of things on my area beaches so yours might be a little different but probably not a whole lot.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some ranch dressing and a few croutons and you got yourself a free meal...healthy too. :laughing7:

Now that's funny. I was just sitting here thinking about your remark, picturing a line of people sitting on that cut with their little dinner trays, passing the dressing and croutons. :laughing7:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay I noticed a lot of sea weed on the Texas coast also.

It's interesting to watch how the lower beach, and often the mid-beach, changes with the coming and going of these negative tide cycles, also worth being aware of. During the negative tide cycle the high tides will be higher and the low tides will be lower, this exchange in water volume covering a lot more beach but with less energy. As these negative tide cycles begin to withdraw and the positive tide cycles begin to take over the space between the peak high tide and peak low tide marks is narrower, the energy and water volume concentrated on a narrower section of beach for a longer duration. Also, during the positive tide cycles you'll usually see an increase in the size of the swells, this additional force punching breaches through those sandbars, these creating gateways for the returning water from the beach, sort of like a vacuum effect that helps to create shoreline currents and rips, etc., those currents that are vital in the removal and redistribution of sand. Taking the time to make a study of these things has changed the way I hunt my beaches and it has increased my success substantially. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Is that the Real Name for the Beach. If not what is the Real Name, I'm headed to Florida in a few days.goldnugget-Charlotte,N.C.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that the Real Name for the Beach. If not what is the Real Name, I'm headed to Florida in a few days.goldnugget-Charlotte,N.C.

Hey goldnugget. Not the real name of the beach. I was at Hollywood Beach.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
y'all got that right!

I got hit by a huge Man o War last year while paddling out surfing. Stung real bad at first and when I got back to shore my body started aching real bad. Vinegar neutralizes Man o War stings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread