Back from China after seven weeks...

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Upvote 0
OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Maybe. Just thought some would like to know where I went for the last few weeks. Did not think it would bother anyone.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back, and now that you're back let me help plant the seed....."Must go to beach! Must find gold! Must go to the beach! Must find gold!" :laughing7:

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT! No detector? Just think what you missed. :BangHead: :BangHead:

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
No seed planting needed here. I am chomping at the bit to go! Must find gold, must find gold!!! Actually the two month rest on my right shoulder from not swinging a detector in the surf may have been a blessing. It no longer hurts. Now which detectors to use on my first trip back to the beach is my only real concern.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow - I didn't even notice you were gone. Just kidding.

That's quite a collection of machines you have. Which one do you use the most?

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Glad you got back safely!

I wish you the best out there

Lorraine

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Hey Boat! In salt water situations the Excal gets by far the most use out to water two feet deep. Then the Whites Dual Field in sanded in conditions and in the deeper water where PI machines excell. Working on a waterproof Whites TDI at the moment hoping for a pulse machine with some discrimination abilities. Always looking for a little edge on the competition, and I just like playing with the toys. Best rule is to get to know your detector well and it will produce on a regular basis when used as you learn to read the beach conditions on your particular beach.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Boat! In salt water situations the Excal gets by far the most use out to water two feet deep. Then the Whites Dual Field in sanded in conditions and in the deeper water where PI machines excell. Working on a waterproof Whites TDI at the moment hoping for a pulse machine with some discrimination abilities. Always looking for a little edge on the competition, and I just like playing with the toys. Best rule is to get to know your detector well and it will produce on a regular basis when used as you learn to read the beach conditions on your particular beach.

If you're successful, maybe you can sell your mods to Whites.

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
I am not an electronics guy. Wish I understood all that is needed to accomplish all of that. My TDI mod is simply to put the entire unit in a waterproof box with waterproof switches and cable clams. Waiste or chest mount the box. Much too bulky for resale. Just useable. I have seen one made and the man who made it was nice enough to share information on how he did it in detail. He did some great thinking outside the box to make the parts needed. I hope to finish up my version this week. Whites should have made a waterproof version long ago. Would have been a big hit I believe.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to see your back home Stewart, I know the next trip will be the adventure. You did the best thing recon before, I would Take the Excalibur NT...
So did you get Married? ....Both of you had the love bug bad buddy when you stopped by the house....Like teenagers..

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Hey Joe. Good to hear from you. Not married yet but feel like teenager. Finally found a woman who likes metal detecting and fishing. Great lady with great family and friends. How about getting up with me on those waterproof headphones we discussed for the Whites TDI. Going to be needing them really soon. Thanks...Stuart

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do they even allow detecting in China?? Sounds like it would be a cool place to hunt but my sister has been over there several times and says her travels are somewhat regulated by Chinese government restrictions.

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Gunsil, yes you can detect but the regulations to carry one in must be followed. Not cheap. Have to pay a steep tax to carry one in. Refundable when you leave with detector. Also have to contract with a company to pick up at airport. Easy to do but money is not refundable. Lot of trouble for one or two weekends of hunting but maybe worth it if you plan on more time to use it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread