penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some quick pointers For Beach Metal Detecting;

Imagine the treasure that can be found on a saltwater beach. Imagine not only the jewelry and coins that people lose, but the ship wrecks from the past, or other historical items that have washed ashore only to be buried in the sand again. I'll give you a few tips on beach metal detecting and what equipment you will need.

One thing important to know before you begin beach metal detecting is that not all metal detectors are good for wet sand or the water. If you want to hunt the saltwater wet sand you will need a multi-frequency or P.I. (Pulse Induction) metal detector in order to do so effectively, and that is also true for in the water detecting.

You will also want to make sure to see if metal detecting is allowed on the beach you want to detect. Some private beaches are completely off-limits to metal detecting but others might allow beach metal detecting during certain hours or time of the year, usually when it is not very populated.

When saltwater beach metal detecting, I have a few recommendations for the time and location to do it. 1st is to become familiar with the Tide Charts, know when the low-tide is and if you are going to hunt in the water’s edge, you’ll want to know if it is a negative tide, which is usually during the New or Full Moon phase.

During the negative tide, which can be between 1 – 2 feet lower than a usual tide, a lot more wet sand area opens up having a potential for more unsearched area and more targets. This can be a very rewarding time and area to metal detect.

You can find a tide for your location here at, Tide Charts, Marine Weather, Coastal Harbor Guide | USHarbors

Some things to consider when heading out for a beach metal detecting session are:
1. Was there a storm recently that disrupted the beach?

Usually after a coastal storm, new targets are uncovered and older targets will also appear. I recommend searching the midline between high and low-tide after a big storm, also look for newly exposed rocky areas.
2. Is the tide going out?

If you desire to detect the wet sand and low-tide water line, you will want to go on an outgoing or low tide but if you are hunting the dry sand, then tide won’t really matter.

3. What area of the beach attracts the most people?

Drive by and take a look when the beach is really busy to see where the people congregate. Is there a certain area where they enter the water, is there a bathhouse with lots of traffic, or concession stand, etc? Those will be good locations for beach metal detecting.
4. Are there “cut-outs” in the sand where water has worn an area more than another?

Look for areas where the sand is worn away or “cut-out” by the tide waters.

Those are just a few tips on getting to the beach for a good day of beach metal detecting.

Other things to consider are what will you use to retrieve your targets? Now there are a few things to consider here, like will you dig in the water? If so you will definitely need a sand scoop of some kind and there are many types to choose from.

There are stainless steel, aluminum, heavy duty, medium to light, short or long scoops, plastic for dry sand, etc. I will provide a few links to quality sand scoops that you can choose from.

Some folks use a shovel while beach metal detecting and they can be quite successful however shovels are almost useless in the water. I have a few friends that use shovels in the wet or dry sand with no problem, but not the water. If you want to hunt a few feet into the water you’ll need a long handle scoop, a shovel will not work.

A shovel will be fine for use in the wet sand if you don’t want or can’t afford a sand scoop, some scoops can be costly, but worth it. I use a heavy duty stainless steel scoop and it can dig through anything with little effort.

I’ve seen some detectorists bring a hand tool, like a Lesche digger or garden trowel to the beach but I do not recommend it. You will have an impossible time digging in sand with a hand type digging tool.

You should also bring a pouch or something to hold your finds and you should also bring a plastic bag for any trash you might find.

I hope you find these beach metal detecting tips helpful, now get out there and find that gold!

Happy Hunting

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice and please don't take this the wrong way, but PLEASE EVERYONE DO NOT go asking city or county officials if it's ok to detect public beaches ( at least not in Florida) If it's not state or federal park and a public beach not packed elbow to elbow, just go detecting and have fun. We don't ask to build sand castles, fly kites, throw frisbees, surf, etc. Asking a bunch of bureaucrats if it's ok to detect will make it pop up on their radar screen that maybe they should ban it or regulate it to death. Not that TV commercials and shows haven't already done enough damage.

Best Regards,
Fletch

PS: Please fill in holes, remove trash where feasible, and be respectful of people's personal space.

Last edited:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Thanks for the advice and please don't take this the wrong way, but PLEASE EVERYONE DO NOT go asking city or county officials if it's ok to detect public beaches ( at least not in Florida) If it's not state or federal park and a public beach not packed elbow to elbow, just go detecting and have fun. We don't ask to build sand castles, fly kites, throw frisbees, surf, etc. Asking a bunch of bureaucrats if it's ok to detect will make it pop up on their radar screen that maybe they should ban it or regulate it to death. Not that TV commercials and shows haven't already done enough damage.

Best Regards,
Fletch

PS: Please fill in holes, remove trash where feasible, and be respectful of people's personal space.

I second that

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just do it!

Asking a bureaucrats for permission is like kicking a sleeping guard dog.
If you wake either up, don't expect a helpful or friendly result.
Especially, when your action(s) imply that it may be their bone you are after!

The key is that both are reflexive in nature, neither like to be woken up or disturbed.
As long as you are not causing any problems or do something obviously wrong,
you should not have any problems. In the rare event. that you do - it is usually far easier ask forgiveness than beg for permission.

Best Regards,
Fletch

Last edited:
OP
OP
penzfan

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Agreed

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not go to a popular beach with a regular shovel, you will get all metal detector hunters banned. You will not be popular with your fellow hunters either.

A Sand Scoop is only for the dry sand you want to buy a "beach scoop" for wet sand and in the water....A long handle sand scoop will break on you digging in the hard wet sand or water...

Yes they are costly but they are worth their weight in gold and they hold their resale value. One or two gold rings will pay for the scoop..

Next to a good detector your scoop is your most valuable tool, especially when in the water trying to recover targets between swells or waves...

Suggestion, buy a camelpac it is really nice to have ice water with you all day. I have a 2 liter I use, I put in 1 liter water and 1 liter ice. .

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread