Strain Relief on Excalibur Headphone Cable

WWZESQ

Greenie
Feb 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Barracuda, Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
IMG_2306.JPG Hi everyone. I would like to ask your opinion on this. I "tommy taped" the headphone cable to the end of the strain relief on my excalibur. Do you think this will work in reducing the strain on the headphone cable, or is this a bad idea? Thanks for your opinion -Z

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
W

WWZESQ

Greenie
Feb 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Barracuda, Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
I have mine mounted on an anderson over/under until the water warms up a bit, then it will most likely spend the rest of the summer on the short dive shaft. I also built a molded pvc stand so if i lay it down, i.e. to pull of the skid plate, nothing is banging on the ground. I'm kind of fanatical about equipment maintenance. I have fishing reels that are 30+ years old that I swim with, and you would swear they are brand new. Electronic equipment and dive gear get even closer attention. I have my own business so time is a precious commodity, and there is nothing worse that getting a few hours out and having your gear malfunction. Thanks for all of the great advice! -Z

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN I've had the 3030 for over a year so far and have had it submerged more than 30 times with no problem, it was scary the first time. Good luck with your new baby it's a great machine.:thumbsup:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN I've had the 3030 for over a year so far and have had it submerged more than 30 times with no problem, it was scary the first time. Good luck with your new baby it's a great machine.:thumbsup:
Yes it was nerve racking! Be SURE you have the USB cap snug, but not over tightened.

Mr Gold

Dec 25, 2017
South FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Excalibur Battery Cable

I am in the process of restoring and modifying my Excalibur II. I am installing a 15 inch NEL attack coil on my Excalibur II and I already changed the knob seals and installed a bulkhead fitting that works with the Gray Ghost, Amphibian head phones. Only issue I have is where to purchase the 20/2 conductor cable (salt water resistant) used to attach the battery to the Excalibur II. Do you have any ideas where I can purchase the cable. Also, I got a little carried away with removing the Ikelite connector from the cable and it was soldered by the factory and I had to remove the solder and am concerned that I may have compromised the connector by applying too much heat. Do you, or know anyone who currently sells those connectors? Also, do you still have the end caps for the Excalibur and how can I contact you to purchase a couple end caps that may also include a bulkhead connector for the ear phones, coil, and possibly a pin point fitting and pin point switch.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

4 small screws then they come apart, maybe spray once a season, specially if your under a lot. That is norm for the pads...

Internal break on the battery cable just outside the connectors, heyco n the ikelite, also I only work on the Excalibur.... closed shop right now, hunting season..., will reopen come Dec 1st till mid March. Here is a vid on the battery cable...
And Thank You, but no Master here, just enjoy sharing what works the best on the Excalibur. Two years ago no one would have attempted to open the control pod on the excal, think I sold like 40 or 50 kits last winter....all successful installs....Amazing, Thanks to Youtube.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, I've been following your posts for quite some time. I finally got to changing my battery and stripped nobs out but now have some other things I need done to my "Old Blue" Excal 1000. I saw in your posts that you do this stuff (open shop after Dec. 1st), and I would prefer someone who has the know how to do it (I'm handy to a point...). How can someone contact you to have work done to their machine? Thanks in advance.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN, I've been following your posts for quite some time. I finally got to changing my battery and stripped nobs out but now have some other things I need done to my "Old Blue" Excal 1000. I saw in your posts that you do this stuff (open shop after Dec. 1st), and I would prefer someone who has the know how to do it (I'm handy to a point...). How can someone contact you to have work done to their machine? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I only do the Kits now, I stopped working on them last year. I can refer you to a Guy in Jersey who does good work. Just send me a message thru the forum here. Or go to Facebook and look up Matty St Germain.

I need to go thru all my old post and delete that info..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread