Strain Relief on Excalibur Headphone Cable

WWZESQ

Greenie
Feb 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Barracuda, Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
IMG_2306.JPG Hi everyone. I would like to ask your opinion on this. I "tommy taped" the headphone cable to the end of the strain relief on my excalibur. Do you think this will work in reducing the strain on the headphone cable, or is this a bad idea? Thanks for your opinion -Z

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally zip tie my cable to the top of the pod. I find its been the best solution ive found to help with cable weight and flopping.

Dew

Attachments

• setup.JPG
    setup.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 417
OP
OP
W

WWZESQ

Greenie
Feb 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks Dew. I'm trying to avoid bending the wire over to secure it. I'm 6'3" and with the short headphone cable, I need all of the length I can get. Do you think my tape job is ok, or will it eventually mess up the connector? Thanks -Z

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear mine hip mounted in back , no probs yet 6th season , I think you should've gone over connection too! As long as your out of warrantee it can't hurt , I don't know anyone who's had a wire failure with excal 2 , knobs are more prone to breakage from drops and bangs off of scoop!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know anyone who's had a wire failure with excal 2
I have seen issues from the saltwater but not from pulling and stress. One was just out a few inch's from the heyco, the other two where inside the headphone because that area you can't clean and the salt had it's way with the cord causing them to split and crack... Where you want to be worried about on the Excalibur II is the battery cable, think I repaired about 5 this winter. Seems one of the wires break inside of the cable and the machine will only work if you play with the wire, and were it breaks is right outside of the heyco coming out of the pod. The best you can do for all of the cables is to use a silicon spray like McNetts divers spray. I use that and I use Dow111 on the cables also. But the spray is the best...after washing with fresh water. If you in the saltwater a lot, once a year everyone should pull those caps of and clean the orings lightly with a soft small brush, then lube real good. That is a must if your in the water a lot, special salt water....

OP
OP
W

WWZESQ

Greenie
Feb 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks a lot for all of the info. I didn't cover the entire connector, because I wanted to be able to flush the cable out where it meets the tube end. Thanks for the response and the video OBN. Good stuff. How do you feel about 303 protectant as opposed to silicone spray. I've been spraying down the wires with 303 every other trip in the saltwater after cleaning.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tape job is not a bad idea. For extra reinforcement you can take a short zip tie and tape it into the tape job for more support. you might want to start the tape job, and if you reinforce it, about a half inch further down onto the manufactures wire support. A thought.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You..

303 very good spray also, highly recommended. Here is one of the Stock yellows HP's that I spoke of, saltwater damage, these belonged to a diver. Machine was maybe 4 years old.

OBN0165.jpg

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my battery pod cap off last night, noticed the seal/o-ring was getting stiff/hard, flat spot all around. Time for some preventative maintenance. Have to do it about once a year. Will also make a new seal where the cable connects to the pod. :thumbsup:

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN , what a weird spot to fail , this is just from salt in earcup or is it possible insulation got damaged during assembly? I'll have to try the products mentioned .

OP
OP
W

WWZESQ

Greenie
Feb 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Wow, guess its a good idea to remove the earcups and spray 303 on those wires as well. I noticed that when I rinse the headphones off, that water collects in between the pads and headphone housing. Is this normal? Seems crazy that they don't drain on their own and I have to dry them with a paper towel.

OBN, in reference to the power cable break, is this due to cracking of the jacket outside of the heyco, or is it an internal break? Also, do you only work on Minelabs or do you repair other detectors. I have an old Barracuda that needs to be re-sealed and needs new batteries. Thanks for your time, you are the master!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, guess its a good idea to remove the earcups and spray 303 on those wires as well. I noticed that when I rinse the headphones off, that water collects in between the pads and headphone housing. Is this normal? Seems crazy that they don't drain on their own and I have to dry them with a paper towel.
4 small screws then they come apart, maybe spray once a season, specially if your under a lot. That is norm for the pads...

OBN, in reference to the power cable break, is this due to cracking of the jacket outside of the heyco, or is it an internal break? Also, do you only work on Minelabs or do you repair other detectors. I have an old Barracuda that needs to be re-sealed and needs new batteries. Thanks for your time, you are the master!
Internal break on the battery cable just outside the connectors, heyco n the ikelite, also I only work on the Excalibur.... closed shop right now, hunting season..., will reopen come Dec 1st till mid March. Here is a vid on the battery cable...
And Thank You, but no Master here, just enjoy sharing what works the best on the Excalibur. Two years ago no one would have attempted to open the control pod on the excal, think I sold like 40 or 50 kits last winter....all successful installs....Amazing, Thanks to Youtube.

OP
OP
W

WWZESQ

Greenie
Feb 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks OBN, I'll definitely keep an eye on that connector -Z

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN , what a weird spot to fail , this is just from salt in earcup or is it possible insulation got damaged during assembly? I'll have to try the products mentioned .
I'm guessing the salt or Maybe even cheap material....Remember, I do get to see a lot of machines during open hours so anything is possible. Main thing is just do as much as you can to prevent....specially any rubber/neoprene/PVC/nylon types Insulation or O-rings on the Excalibur.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's good to know, you do repairs! I've been lucky with mine except for 1 knob and now I have the ctx ( still learning that) only 1 water hunt so far but I'm really happy with my land hunts !

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
good to know, you do repairs! I've been lucky with mine except for 1 knob and now I have the ctx ( still learning that) only 1 water hunt so far but I'm really happy with my land hunts !
Really there are a lot of excaliburs out there and the one's having problems is small compared to what is in use.

Just got a CTX myself, just for setting up a good set of water proof headphones for it, what's offered is not all that as far as audio....afraid to take in the water, but will have to once I get some made for testing...

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use the koss phones either I've been a solid grey ghost user for 10 years ! I would say they where the best there is (until I bought a pair of whites pro star for my girlfriend , 50-) they are identical to another pair sold by detector pro! So there either manufactured by detector pro - or whites sourced the same manufacturer there really comfortable and the audio is killer,dual volume controll , I bought a second set for me the ghost are backups,

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a pair fail like that just a few months after purchase. Its the way ML puts that cable in an S pattern inside the phones then puts the knot to far back id say. Mine was split... almost cut. Thats why i put a string on mine to keep the heavy cable from pulling since its to short.

Dew

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can compensate for a short head phone cable by mounting your control pod on the shaft so that the headphone wire is at the bottom end of the Pod pointing toward the search coil. When you mount the control pod this way, you avoid stressing/pulling the head phone off when you bend over to retrieve targets.

Be aware that you will have to be careful in protecting the battery wire as the battery pod and Heco connector point up. You have to be especially careful when cleaning the sand out of the bottom skid plate (coil cover) so that the exposed battery wire is not pushed against the ground stressing it.

As OBN pointed out: You worry about the battery cable on the Cal as the wires at the Heco connector can be easily pulled. I had to jiggle the battery wire cable for more than a month before it failed hard enough to send it in for repair. Even though it was repaired under warranty, it was not free; I had to wait a few weeks for its return and was out $70 for shipping and insurance (sigh).

Oh bye the way, I am the same height as you, and use an Anderson Tall Man's Shaft for treasure hunting: shallow water, wet sand, dry sand. I am able to cover more ground with the longer shaft, and it is optimally balanced with the Pod high above my shoulders.
It is out of the water, even when chin deep, shallow water hunting.

Thanks Dew. I'm trying to avoid bending the wire over to secure it. I'm 6'3" and with the short headphone cable, I need all of the length I can get. Do you think my tape job is ok, or will it eventually mess up the connector? Thanks -Z

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you consider that the Xcal ll is a knobs and switches type machine with five knob/switches that can wear,
with at least nine O ring seals and one Heco seal which can leak under pressure, plus all the exposed cable which can be jerked,
frayed, or deteriorate over time from exposure to the elements, it's surprising that it does not have a higher failure rate.

Especially, since some detectors are dropped, improperly stored at home or in transport, or not properly cared for after each use.

Really there are a lot of excaliburs out there and the one's having problems is small compared to what is in use.

Just got a CTX myself, just for setting up a good set of water proof headphones for it, what's offered is not all that as far as audio....afraid to take in the water, but will have to once I get some made for testing...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread