Best Way to Sell My Platinum Diamond Ring??

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay so I had the ring appraised and now I am wondering the best way to get the most money out of it. The platinum weighed in at a whopping 15.5 and the diamonds were V1 0.3 carat. The jeweler said he would scrap the platinum and give me $600 and my diamonds back. The ring appraised for $5100. I realize that i wont get that back but I would like to get as much as I can, obviously, lol. Would Ebay be my best bet? I have never sold anything on ebay so i am a little hesitant to do so. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another idea is if you can find a jeweler that does consignment - tries to sell it for you and takes a percentage
if ring is nice and they shine it up and put it out - they might be able to get 50% of appraisal
or at least maybe a $1000 - some guys will take from 10%-20%
pawn shop might give you more than scrap if they think they can get more for it as a ring

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got a total of $676.50 worth of platinum at todays price. Your stone holds almost no value. I've sold lots of rings on feebay before without issue. You can try it and you can try craigslist. You never know, a sucker is born every minute and may just have to have it. :D Good luck with it!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
page from an article I did years ago

ca5.jpg

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't list it on eBay until you establish some positive seller feedback. Maybe get your feet wet on ebay selling some of your less valuable costume jewelry or other small easily shipped items. I always start my auctions at .99 cents to get the bidders going. A good description and quality photos are essential to maximize final hammer price.

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
I'm a semi professional, PM me pictures of the ring and I will tell you how much you can get for it.

Appraisal value is one thing, reality is different. Scrapping the ring is a bad idea.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a semi professional, PM me pictures of the ring and I will tell you how much you can get for it. Appraisal value is one thing, reality is different. Scrapping the ring is a bad idea.

image-2066431643.jpg

image-1657664353.jpg

image-1230365632.jpg

image-3971529563.jpg

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually sold one to a jeweler once, same jeweler who appraised it, took it back to him about a month later. I ended up getting about $500 more then 95% scrap rate, he ended up getting it for about 30% of his own appraisal. But, the ring was very clean, like new, and the diamond was a small blue.

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Trent67
let me be as honest as I can be, and please do not be offended by this post, I'm not bashing your awesome find, I'm simply giving a reality check here.

1) no jeweler will offer you more than the platinum scrap value for this ring, however, you can get more for it you do the following:

2) The ring looks bad, it needs to be professionally polished. You must have it polished, there can be no discussion about it. Here in Europe I pay €10-15 for this procedure, it should not be more expensive in the US, so just do it. Bring it to a professional jeweler and let him polish it and plate it with rhodium. I'd choose a real jeweler, not some pawn shop or so. You will be very surprised to see the ring when you get it back after the procedure, I can almost guarantee you will say something like "wow is this my ring ??"

3) The pictures you have posted are horrible. If you put such pictures on ebay, you will not sell the ring. When the ring has been polished, take a decent camera and make good pictures. A lot of light is required to make decent pictures. Take a look here, this seller makes very nice pictures.

Fine Estate Amethyst Quartz & Diamond Ballernia 14k Y Gold Fashion Ring Sz 6.5 | eBay

having good pictures is an absolute necessity! A good picture can make the customer "want the ring" like nothing else, and much more so than "oh its 15gr of platinum with 3x3mm diamonds".

4) When the ring has been polished and when you have good pictures, put it on ebay for $1800 with "accept offers" option. See if you can get $1500 for it. If after a month there is nobody who wants your ring then you can lower the price somewhat. I'm strongly convinced that you can get $1500 for it, but you need to follow my advice. Also, this ring is a bit crude (which is not bad), so advertise it as "unisex ring", meaning that its suitable for males and females.

5) having a certificate made is a pricey procedure which is not necessary in this case but what you can do for free is: you can ask your jeweler to make an appraisal document, usually they make such documents for free. Such a document would add to the value of the ring for any possible buyer.

6) Do not be concerned about your ebay feedback or lack thereof. Its normal for an occasional eBayer to offer one piece of jewelry. when you put it on ebay please select "shipping to US only" or you will be overwhelmed by Nigerians and others who will try to scam you.

Greetings from Flanders.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trent67 let me be as honest as I can be, and please do not be offended by this post, I'm not bashing your awesome find, I'm simply giving a reality check here. 1) no jeweler will offer you more than the platinum scrap value for this ring, however, you can get more for it you do the following: 2) The ring looks bad, it needs to be professionally polished. You must have it polished, there can be no discussion about it. Here in Europe I pay €10-15 for this procedure, it should not be more expensive in the US, so just do it. Bring it to a professional jeweler and let him polish it and plate it with rhodium. I'd choose a real jeweler, not some pawn shop or so. You will be very surprised to see the ring when you get it back after the procedure, I can almost guarantee you will say something like "wow is this my ring ??" 3) The pictures you have posted are horrible. If you put such pictures on ebay, you will not sell the ring. When the ring has been polished, take a decent camera and make good pictures. A lot of light is required to make decent pictures. Take a look here, this seller makes very nice pictures. Fine Estate Amethyst Quartz & Diamond Ballernia 14k Y Gold Fashion Ring Sz 6.5 | eBay having good pictures is an absolute necessity! A good picture can make the customer "want the ring" like nothing else, and much more so than "oh its 15gr of platinum with 3x3mm diamonds". 4) When the ring has been polished and when you have good pictures, put it on ebay for $1800 with "accept offers" option. See if you can get $1500 for it. If after a month there is nobody who wants your ring then you can lower the price somewhat. I'm strongly convinced that you can get $1500 for it, but you need to follow my advice. Also, this ring is a bit crude (which is not bad), so advertise it as "unisex ring", meaning that its suitable for males and females. 5) having a certificate made is a pricey procedure which is not necessary in this case but what you can do for free is: you can ask your jeweler to make an appraisal document, usually they make such documents for free. Such a document would add to the value of the ring for any possible buyer. 6) Do not be concerned about your ebay feedback or lack thereof. Its normal for an occasional eBayer to offer one piece of jewelry. when you put it on ebay please select "shipping to US only" or you will be overwhelmed by Nigerians and others who will try to scam you. Greetings from Flanders.

Here some pics after being professionally polished. I'm not offended at all. I understand that I wont get anything close to appraisal. I do however appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

P.S. I know the pictures are horrible. Hopefully these are a bit better. I still used my iphone though.

image-2192770355.jpg

image-1685327281.jpg

image-3679213221.jpg

image-55769236.jpg

image-512686926.jpg

image-4294257198.jpg

image-4143781349.jpg

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trent67 let me be as honest as I can be, and please do not be offended by this post, I'm not bashing your awesome find, I'm simply giving a reality check here. 1) no jeweler will offer you more than the platinum scrap value for this ring, however, you can get more for it you do the following: 2) The ring looks bad, it needs to be professionally polished. You must have it polished, there can be no discussion about it. Here in Europe I pay €10-15 for this procedure, it should not be more expensive in the US, so just do it. Bring it to a professional jeweler and let him polish it and plate it with rhodium. I'd choose a real jeweler, not some pawn shop or so. You will be very surprised to see the ring when you get it back after the procedure, I can almost guarantee you will say something like "wow is this my ring ??" 3) The pictures you have posted are horrible. If you put such pictures on ebay, you will not sell the ring. When the ring has been polished, take a decent camera and make good pictures. A lot of light is required to make decent pictures. Take a look here, this seller makes very nice pictures. Fine Estate Amethyst Quartz & Diamond Ballernia 14k Y Gold Fashion Ring Sz 6.5 | eBay having good pictures is an absolute necessity! A good picture can make the customer "want the ring" like nothing else, and much more so than "oh its 15gr of platinum with 3x3mm diamonds". 4) When the ring has been polished and when you have good pictures, put it on ebay for $1800 with "accept offers" option. See if you can get $1500 for it. If after a month there is nobody who wants your ring then you can lower the price somewhat. I'm strongly convinced that you can get $1500 for it, but you need to follow my advice. Also, this ring is a bit crude (which is not bad), so advertise it as "unisex ring", meaning that its suitable for males and females. 5) having a certificate made is a pricey procedure which is not necessary in this case but what you can do for free is: you can ask your jeweler to make an appraisal document, usually they make such documents for free. Such a document would add to the value of the ring for any possible buyer. 6) Do not be concerned about your ebay feedback or lack thereof. Its normal for an occasional eBayer to offer one piece of jewelry. when you put it on ebay please select "shipping to US only" or you will be overwhelmed by Nigerians and others who will try to scam you. Greetings from Flanders.
I had it appraised at a reputable jeweler, the same one that polished it. I have nice documentation with the appraisal, ring specs, and 3 digital photos. I can definitely use a good camera for the ebay pics. Thanks again Flanders.

Last edited:

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
I had it appraised at a reputable jeweler, the same one that polished it. I have nice documentation with the appraisal, ring specs, and 3 digital photos. I can definitely use a good camera for the ebay pics. Thanks again Flanders.

Flanders is the name of the area where I live (northern Belgium) and not my name :)

did the jeweler plate it with rhodium? the ring still looks as if it was heavy used.

pics need to get better, but you understand it yourself.

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Judging by this picture I can tell that the jeweler did not polish it as he should had done it.

attachment.php

I also see all the potential this ring has, this is a $1500 ring which needs proper care.

a good polish and rhodium plating will make it completely smooth, as new and it will look way better.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flanders is the name of the area where I live (northern Belgium) and not my name :) did the jeweler plate it with rhodium? the ring still looks as if it was heavy used. pics need to get better, but you understand it yourself.

Sorry about the name confusion. I'm not sure if they plated it with rhodium. They polished it when they appraised it for me. I'm guessing they didnt plate it. Thanks again for your help. You have me heading in the right direction.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging by this picture I can tell that the jeweler did not polish it as he should had done it. I also see all the potential this ring has, this is a $1500 ring which needs proper care. a good polish and rhodium plating will make it completely smooth, as new and it will look way better.
Just so we are clear. I only brought the ring in for an appraisal, not a polishing. I guess he just cleaned it up for me. It looks 100% shinier and cleaner but now I understand what you mean about the scratches. Rhodium will take care of that huh? That is pretty cool. Thanks for the education, I will definitely take the ring back and get it properly polished and plated.

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Sorry about the name confusion. I'm not sure if they plated it with rhodium. They polished it when they appraised it for me. I'm guessing they didnt plate it. Thanks again for your help. You have me heading in the right direction.

it looks like your jeweler has simply polished it with some rotating polisher, which is not enough for this heavily used ring. It is possible to make it look as completely new. How to get it done and where is your concern, but it should not cost more than $15.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging by this picture I can tell that the jeweler did not polish it as he should had done it. I also see all the potential this ring has, this is a $1500 ring which needs proper care. a good polish and rhodium plating will make it completely smooth, as new and it will look way better.

Okay I just spoke to my jeweler and he says that they dont use rhodium on platinum, only gold, but that he can refinish the ring have it looking as good as new.

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Just so we are clear. I only brought the ring in for an appraisal, not a polishing. I guess he just cleaned it up for me. It looks 100% shinier and cleaner but now I understand what you mean about the scratches. Rhodium will take care of that huh? That is pretty cool. Thanks for the education, I will definitely take the ring back and get it properly polished and plated.

ok I get it now.

first the ring is cooked in acid to remove traces of old rhodium plating, then its polished, and then its plated with rhodium again.

you will be amazed at the result when you see it! go for it man! and post here so we can all be a bit envy of this find :)

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Okay I just spoke to my jeweler and he says that they dont use rhodium on platinum, only gold, but that he can refinish the ring have it looking as good as new.

it is recommended to plate platinum ring with rhodum though, it will shine more.

look here:

Platinum - does it require rhodium plating - The eBay Community

Rhodium plating is not a requirement, it's a matter of preference. White Gold and platinum reflect 60%-65% of light, Rhodium reflects 70%- 85% of light, thus it gives a better "shine". Like most other plating, the Rhodium plating will break down and require re-plating as the piece will be subject to chemicals and body oils, bumps and scrapes etc. I wouldn't put 2 coats of Latex paint on my vehicle to protect 7 coats of expensive Lacquer....I'd opt to take care of the paint job. Know what I mean?

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is recommended to plate platinum ring with rhodum though, it will shine more. look here: Platinum - does it require rhodium plating - The eBay Community

Okay I will discuss this with the jeweler when I see him. This is a very reputable jeweler and I do like them personally. I appreciate your knowledge and this will definitely help me out when I go in to discuss my options. I will let you know how it goes. I cannot thank you enough for your time and knowledge. THANK YOU.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread