First Spanish Reale !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
ATTACH=CONFIG]992045[/ATTACH]

:laughing7:I have been somewhat hesitant about posting finds, but just have to share this one. Last weekend while detecting a FL Treasure Coast area beach I noticed larger shells and rocks grouping towards the previous high tide line. I know that millions of pounds of sand had recently been dumped on our beaches, so I figured they had been washed up by waves. I figured that maybe some goodies had been washed up too. I started working the tide line with my M6. I had the Whites 950 Eclipse coil on it with no discrimination and the sensitivity at +1 ..................toggle was in "Beach" mode of course. I dug some pull tabs, change, etc and then I got a high tone. It repeated in every direction and my VDI indicated it was a sliver dollar. Of course I figured it was a beer can, but I dig EVERYTHING. About 7-8" down I nailed an in encrusted piece of crud, but when I waved it by my coil I got a 91 on my VDI. I wiped away what I could in the salt water and when I realized what I had I almost fell over. After about 12 hours+ in electrolysis as well a good cleaning with Colgate toothpaste (great for silver) I had a beautiful early 1600's 8 Reale weighing in at 26.7 grams

Attachments

• 8Reale.JPG
    8Reale.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 293
Upvote 0

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inland off hwy 60 just before valrico, big park, I'm sure it's more of the ballfields but first time I've ever seen anything like that.

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting/awesome find. I like my M6 but it just don't work well here. Looking forward to being back in the states and working it.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inland off hwy 60 just before valrico, big park, I'm sure it's more of the ballfields but first time I've ever seen anything like that.
Their is a old U.S. fort out their. Can't remember the name, but it is off of 60. The histirical sign is posted along the hwy, but the site is no where near the sign if my mind remembers correctly.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their is a old U.S. fort out their. Can't remember the name, but it is off of 60. The histirical sign is posted along the hwy, but the site is no where near the sign if my mind remembers correctly.
I'll have to check it out on my return home, this is between some type of juice plant and a moderate size hotel/motel, outskirts just a few miles before hwy 37 heading west.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one, hoping to find one myself one day.:thumbsup:

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey does anyone know what happened to that bloke OVERKILL OVERKILL? He had some interesting post.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You took a bunch of nice pics before you sold it...right?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey does anyone know what happened to that bloke OVERKILL OVERKILL? He had some interesting post.
I wish he would come back, he was a blast. He got people so irritated ...I thought it was funny. He may have met his demise trying out one of his ideas...he had some doozies.

rancherjl

Jan 22, 2013
Palm Bay, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i ---- Garrett Ace 350 -------
propointer---------
wireless headphones---
lische with T handle --- stealth & rtg scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hit Turtle Trail Beach Sunday and Thursday, sand moving on and off the beach
lead fish wts. and pull tabs,,, had hits of 95 but did not want any f. metal
went to Green Cabin Wreck area today, piece of copper and pull tabs, did not dig the f. metal-
will try the dry sand beaches at the towel line until beach conditions change.
rancherjl

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
When you hit those beaches, I would assume you're using the V3i ? That machine should do rather well for you. Remember, don't be afraid to go north or south of the wreck beaches. I see so many people just working the beaches adjacent to the wrecks and then just leaving. When you get to those known Treasure Coast beaches, go for a walk and get away from where all the other people with detectors are. It has been 300 years and coins from the 1715 fleet have been recovered as far north as Daytona! Another thing is that everybody seems to go for the wet sand at low tide. While this is tempting, there is a lot of beach out there and a day or so of good waves, who knows what the ocean may have thrown up on the beach.....or uncovered for that matter. Don't be like everyone else and you're bound to find more. Another thing is that everyone seems to get caught up on these "forecasts" and blogs out there highlighting finds, beaches and the like. IGNORE THEM! One thing that I have learned from Gary Drayton is not to be a box hunter. Forget what everybody else is doing and where everybody else is going...... be your own person, go out there and have fun. Explore, experiment, try different beaches.....Don't be afraid to go against the grain, and you just might find something really cool. HH

hit Turtle Trail Beach Sunday and Thursday, sand moving on and off the beach
lead fish wts. and pull tabs,,, had hits of 95 but did not want any f. metal
went to Green Cabin Wreck area today, piece of copper and pull tabs, did not dig the f. metal-
will try the dry sand beaches at the towel line until beach conditions change.
rancherjl

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was a kid I went to Central Junior high school in Melbourne Florida, my father had crab traps, and I hung out with a lot of working-class kids.
A friend of mine's dad had a bobcat type excavator that he would pull on the trailer behind his diesel pickup truck. Apparently for the entire three years we were in junior high school joel's father was getting quite a bit of work digging footing foundations for another guy that had a following building homes in Indialantic.
My friend Joel, whereever he is, would often bring eight reals like the one in the picture to school with him.
He would tell kids that his dad was a metal detectorist and that he found them all back in the 70's at Sebastian Inlet

In actuality he was making monthly modern finds as he dug foundations at construction sites on the dunes between the Melbourne and Pineda Causeway's.

In 1983 this was all mildly interesting, but I recall that cobs like that could be found readily out of area pawnshops for $20 each.
It just wasn't that big a deal

Finding the Square grouper, now that was a big deal (Bail of pot....)
I didn't smok weed, but I remember going to parties in high school at other kids houses that lived on the barrier islands.
What a glorious time that was.....

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda funny to read "ignore the reports" and "be your own man" and "what I learned from Gary Drayton".. in the same couple of paragraphs..
With a little bit more research you'll find out there's another wreck up towards Daytona.. Nothing from the Treasure Coast drifted up there.
And still not a single other photo.. For everyone's information I am NOT the guy who writes the blog.. That gentleman does a great job and puts a lot of time and effort into doing it he has also been at it for many years... I don't understand anybody's reasoning for disrespecting him.. It just shows bad character in my opinion.
Still waiting for the photos...
It looks like Atocha treasure coin replica that are sold at Maclarty museum.. I'm not saying you did or didn't find it but I am saying it looks like a replica.
They usually have the word copy on them somewhere nowadays that's why it seems strange that the photo is cut off on the bottom and you're not posting any other photos of it

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a scatter pattern... It's not some big mystery

ForumRunner_20140525_162656.png

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's after almost three hundred years

ForumRunner_20140525_162935.png

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Gator Boy" not really sure what your agenda is here, but if are insinuating that I didn't find it, I did.

The fact that there are no "Dynamics" to explain why that coin ended up where it did, could be because you just don't understand the ocean and the beach as well as you think that you do. Actually, that day I checked your blog and you indicated that conditions were not good ..... interesting....what "Dynamics" came into play when you made that assumption? So basically where you live the laws of physics don't apply? 300-400 years of tides, hurricanes, tropical storms and monster waves could move a ONE OUNCE coin a few hundred miles? Yes I am aware that the Atocha is in the keys .... My cat knows that too. Maybe it's from another ship that sank closer to us from that era ....who knows? The bottom line is that I put my coil over a target and got a solid signal and dug. Just because this is beyond your comprehension, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Like many other great hunters before me, I am done with this forum crap. You go run your little "Treasure Coast Report" or whatever the heck it is called and I'll actually hunt the beach and find things.

Well guess what buddy.....Capt Carl Fismer liked it and didn't have any reservations regarding it's origin or resting place. The fact that you actually believe that coins and pulltabs can not be found on the same beach, just goes to show your lack of intellect and that you are basically a miserable person who takes pleasure in ...... well basically doing nothing useful.

Good stuff right there

Last edited:
OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
El Padron,
You are correct. Once again, you have to consider what 300 years of tides, waves, tropical storms & hurricanes could do to little 1 ounce (and less) coins. We've all seen much heavier rocks deposited on the beach, so why not coins? Heck, I know people who fish the flats and they have found 1715 items in the intrcoastals as far north as Merritt Island.

I have heard of the legendary "square grouper", but have never seen one.

Gator Boy,
You are getting way too worked up over this.......relax. We should start calling you "Magneto", as you control and know the location of every piece of metal on the planet.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
El Padron,
You are correct. Once again, you have to consider what 300 years of tides, waves, tropical storms & hurricanes could do to little 1 ounce (and less) coins. We've all seen much heavier rocks deposited on the beach, so why not coins? Heck, I know people who fish the flats and they have found 1715 items in the intrcoastals as far north as Merritt Island.

I have heard of the legendary "square grouper", but have never seen one.

Gator Boy,
You are getting way too worked up over this.......relax. We should start calling you "Magneto", as you control and know the location of every piece of metal on the planet.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

To answer that question why not see little one ounce coins washed around like rocks it's because the material they're made from is much more dense and they present much less surface area to the water they simply do not spread around like rocks.. I'm not getting worked up just wondering why you are avoiding the very item you posted.. I'm not name calling or acting disrespectful... Just being " REAL"

Last edited:

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your not going to use it gator, i call dibs on magneto, if anything a great nickname for a detectorist

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting