Keeping your detector safe from theft while on vacation ?

martinguitar

Feb 28, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last trip to the beach was with a large group of people at a beach house . There was someone at the house at any given moment so I didn't worry about it getting stolen . This year it will just be the wife , kids and me at a beachfront hotel . I can see us getting out and about during the midday .

The last thing I want to happen is my detector to get stolen . I thought about putting it in its canvas case and covering it up with a blanket in the back of the car to help insulate it from the heat in the car . But I'm unsure whether that's a good idea even if it's covered up from the direct sunlight . What's everyone's thoughts on this ?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are seriously over-worrying. Put it in the room and go have fun when you aren't detecting. If you plan on carrying it in a car to and from locations, then yes, I would probably put it somewhere out-of-sight.

OP
OP
M

martinguitar

Feb 28, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you think the heat is not a problem as long as it's out of the sunlight ?
I'm sure I am being overly cautious but I hate to see $ 2000 + detector disappear .
I've known a few people who have had things stolen at hotels .

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my detectors in the full sun, in the middle of 100+ degree days. Out of the light, windows cracked in the car, it will be fine.

Stuff being stolen from hotel rooms is rare. Owners and managers know that a reputation for theft will kill their business, so they take steps to prevent it. It would be especially hard to walk out with a detector. Cash, jewelry, things that could fit in a pocket... yeah, keep those in the room safe. I have never worried about having $$$$ scuba gear, cameras, housings, detectors, etc stolen while traveling.

One dive shop owner I know had a video camera stolen from airport luggage. He got home with an UW housing with no camera in it. You can't prevent all theft, but you shouldn't worry too much either.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hotel room is about as safe as you can get!! leave it in your car and the risk is much greater! i lost a teknetics g2 and some other stuff from my locked car in the employee parking lot about two years ago!!!!

chuck.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Martinguitar: If you haven’t already read it, you might consider reading “ How to Stop Worrying and Start Living (1948) by Dale Carnagey.
He was an American writer and lecture who was famous for developing courses in self improvement, salesman ship, corporate training, public speaking and interpersonal skills. being best known for a massive bestseller “How to Stop Worrying and Start Living (1948).

I still remember one of the tips, which was shared by his sponsors at a dinner I attended in the 1960s. What was suggested, is to visualize the worst possible outcome, then accept that it has happened. This way you will not only be relieved, you will be very happy when the dreaded expectation does not occur.

There are a few precautions that you can take while traveling, such as:
Make it harder for a thief – stay at a higher floor level, avoid rooms where the patio opens at ground level.
Do not take more than you can afford to lose.
When it is necessary to temporarily store items in the car, store them out of site before you leave for the destination, not when you arrive.
Thiefs are always watching for an opportunity, and view cars as their opportunist shopping cart.

If your wife will let you get away with it, put some trash on top of the blanket/canvas, you want it unsightly and messy, not inviting. An unwashed beater car with sticky door handles works great.

Also, mark your items so that they will be noticeable and hard to fence.

My last trip to the beach was with a large group of people at a beach house . There was someone at the house at any given moment so I didn't worry about it getting stolen . This year it will just be the wife , kids and me at a beachfront hotel . I can see us getting out and about during the midday .

The last thing I want to happen is my detector to get stolen . I thought about putting it in its canvas case and covering it up with a blanket in the back of the car to help insulate it from the heat in the car . But I'm unsure whether that's a good idea even if it's covered up from the direct sunlight . What's everyone's thoughts on this ?

Thanks

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAVE A TRAVEL ALARM THAT YOU CAN ATTATCH TO MOST THINGS - IF YOU REALLY WANT TO ADD TO YOUR PIECE OF MIND - i TRAVEL ALL OVER - I BAGGAGE GUYS AT AIR PORT TRIED STEALING MY FISHING RODS FROM BAZOOKA TUBE A FEW TIMES - BUT HAVE NOT HAVE A DETECTOR STOLEN YET - HAD 2 RENTAL CARS BROKEN INTO - HAD MACHINES WITH ME OR IN ROOM
THEY MAKE BEACH BAG ALARMS AND HOTEL ROOM DOOR KNOB ALARMS - BOTH CAN BE USED ON ITEMS TO PREVENT OR HELP DETER THEFT - BOUGHT ONE FOR MY GIRLFREIND RECENTLY - YOU CLIP IT TO YOUR BEACH BAG AND TO BEACH CHAIR - MOTION ACTIVATED - AND SCREECHES REAL LOUD -
YOU COULD CLIP EASILY TO THE CORD ON YOUR MACHINE AND PUT IN TRUNK OR EVEN IF YOU LEAVE IT ON THE BEACH TO GO FOR A DRINK OR WALK
i CARRY ON MY MACHINES ON EVERY FLIGHT I TAKE SO TAKE THE BAGGAGE GUYS OUT OF THE EQUATION - I HAVE HEARD OF GUYS LOSING THEIRS TO THEM IN SOME COUNTRIES

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're going to leave your detector in a hot car at least crack the windows and leave it a bowl of water.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its safe in the motel, its a big item...$100 bill left on the night stand, maybe not.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because you leave your detector at home does not mean it is safe.
My home was broken into while I was grocery shopping, and office equipment stolen along with critical rental management software and
propiatory software needed for investing and trading.

Later found that the thieves were overambitious law officers, Never left a search warrant never provided
list of what was taken, nothing was ever returned, nor was I ever compensated for resulting damage and loss.

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread