I Have The Utmost Respect For All The Water Hunters Out There!!!

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Me and my wife just returned from a nice vacation to Florida. We had been living in Florida up to maybe 2 1/2 years ago and normally metal detected the dry sand at minimal three times a week, usually more. We found a generous amount of targets to keep us happy and hunting most of the time. At that time I did not have a good enough machine for the wet sand or water hunting. Since then, I have been blessed enough to obtain a Garrett AT Pro and and a Minelab Safari.
So we were pysched to try the Safari for dry/wet sand and the AT Pro for dry/wet sand and water. First challenge is the fact I think most of the beaches were recently sanded in. Second, OMG :censored: once getting a signal with the Pro in the water, it seemed close to impossible to retrieve the targets :BangHead: . The beaches I speak of is St Pete beach, Treasure Island beach, Sunset Beach, and Pass A Grille beach. We were there from May 1st-8th. Between the mild rolling surf, the shifting of sand (especially once you've disturbed the ocean floor) at the target, and the fact that nothing looks quite the same in the water as it does on the surface. I enjoyed being in the water and trying, but I can tell that this type of hunting is going to take a whole lot more practice and skill. There was another hunter in the water and passed right by us in a wet suit, he could have been a fellow TH'er from TNet, not sure. If so, wished we could have said hello and would have welcomed any tips :laughing7:. Most targets read 6"-8" and digging with scoop was not as easy as I assumed either. Once you penetrate the smooth top layers of sand, it seems to be a harder mixture of broken shells and coarser sand beneath. I do want to add that the beach scoop was homemade and that might be part of the culprit. Although, we did also have a true quality handheld beach scoop and my wife would try her best to scoop with that too and was getting tossed around like a dingy in the middle of a storm. Needless to say, I never even retrieved one single target from the water :icon_scratch:. Not even junk target signals. We looked like two drunk monkeys, or Laurel & Hardy out there trying to water hunt. AGAIN, hats off to all the guys and gals out there that water hunt. You are the $hit!!! You deserve any good finds you come across because it doesn't come easy, I know now you have to work at it with patience, skill, and due diligence. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Upvote 0

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next to good detector a water scoop is your most important tool. If your going to hunt wet sand and in the water get a good water scoop, it is worth it's weight in gold..... American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

So true. I found out the hard way.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since we're talking scoops.....why don't one of you metal fabricating guys start making a scoop like the old Miller scoop? Still the best water hunting scoops I ever used, by a long shot! :thumbsup:

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about using a powerful underwater flashlight to assist in underwater digs. Here on the east coast (NYC) our beach water is dark green and hard to see after about 12inches .

I'll be in the water up to my waist so I'm looking for an underwater flashlight.

Any suggestions ?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I water hunt I want as little attached to my body as possible. I've had more then one sudden swell roll me and attempt to carry me away. Stepped in a few unexpected deep blowouts a couple of time as well. Be careful out there, my friends. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Thanks everyone for the tips and understanding. I actually can't wait to get back out there and try and try again with a better scoop. The one I made was from a galvanized livestock feed scoop with drilled holes added and attached to a repurposed handle, which I saw the idea on here and at the time looked pretty impressive. The length of the handle was great but scoop just didn't hold up overall. As the old saying goes "You get what ya pay for". Also, we fabricated a floating sifting rig, which in all honesty was impressive except for the fact that the mesh/screen needed to have been a little less restrictive for the wet sand. It seemed to get a little mucked up with heavier wet sand and broken shell matter.

OP
OP
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
ALMOST ALL MY VACATIONS ARE DETECTING VACATIONS - AND WHEN I GET BACK - I TELL PEOPLE I NEED A VACATION AFTER MY VACATION CAUSE i WORK VERY HARD IN THE WATER WHEN IM ON VACATION

Thanks Don for sending the diary of your digs. Great read. Keeps a person inspired to keep at it, especially in the water.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don for sending the diary of your digs. Great read. Keeps a person inspired to keep at it, especially in the water.

THOSE ARE ACTUAL MAGAZINE ARTICLES IVE WRITEN - ANYONE INTERESTED - PM ME AND I'LL SEND A LINK

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the mask and snorkel just so I can go deeper in the water and still function. Where I detect the water is dark brown most of the time, especially after the nearly 3 inches of rain last night. So, as far as aiding visibility, it doesn't. Get me out a foot or two deeper, it's good.

OP
OP
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
THOSE ARE ACTUAL MAGAZINE ARTICLES IVE WRITEN - ANYONE INTERESTED - PM ME AND I'LL SEND A LINK

Thanks Don. Your magazine articles were great. I enjoyed you sharing them with me. Thanks Again and HH. Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread