shallow water river hunting

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
I am gonna give this a good try this season. I have half hazardly tried in the past while the family fished with no luck. I figure a good try is in store. Are there any sort of features(traps) I should look for? I am thinking I should go in like I was looking to prospect the area. Hit the bedrock cracks, behind big boulders, inside bends, etc. Any advise is appreciated.

Upvote 0

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be prepared to find lots of trash, but you can't find treasure without digging trash. Have a good scoop. I've been planning on building a sniping tube for some pretty dark water I have permission to hunt to look for items that are not metal , like artifacts.
Just haven't taken time to do it. GL & HH.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking I should go in like I was looking to prospect the area. Hit the bedrock cracks, behind big boulders, inside bends, etc. Any advise is appreciated.

Sounds like you've already got a pretty good fix on things. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Indianametal

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
Sounds like you've already got a pretty good fix on things. :thumbsup:

I just figure precious metal is precious metal and it would most likely all act the same, but wasn't sure. Thanks for letting me know I was on the right page.

This creek although too shallow now for more than a canoe use to have steamboats running up and down it. Right on my property is an old ford. It is aldo a heavy tourist stream in Indiana so there is potential for old and new alike. Unfortunately I just got a high water alert on my phone so I know where I wont be going this weekend.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just figure precious metal is precious metal and it would most likely all act the same, but wasn't sure. Thanks for letting me know I was on the right page.

This creek although too shallow now for more than a canoe use to have steamboats running up and down it. Right on my property is an old ford. It is aldo a heavy tourist stream in Indiana so there is potential for old and new alike. Unfortunately I just got a high water alert on my phone so I know where I wont be going this weekend.

Ouch! "Indiana".....you'd better check and see if you can even MD that river/stream? I know people say, "don't ask" but I do know two guys that got nailed in Indiana a few years back. You may not believe this, but I'll bet the system you're wanting to hunt is listed as a, "navigable waterway". Going to send you an email and also a link to a website so you can send this guy an email and get the straight scoop. Give me a minute.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a flat bar. At Wally for 6 or 7 dollars. I wear a couple them out every year hunting the rivers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread