How slow is the Water Hunting on my area beaches?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How slow is the water hunting right now on my area beaches? Well, finding pull-tabs is even difficult. I actually water hunted for about four hours today and didn't hit a single penny, or coin. It was so slow I actually dug a few obvious nulls just to see what kind of iron junk it was. It was so slow I actually tried to count the little minnows in a tiny school that was staying out in front of me, I got 149 the first time, 164 the second time around. It was so slow I dug that deep but certain tin can bottom just to see how deep and big it really was. And my big score for the day, a cheap pair of recently lost China made sunglasses. But the good news..... “no tungsten ring today.”:thumbsup::laughing7:

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why it is fun hunting with a PI detector !!

rancherjl

Jan 22, 2013
Palm Bay, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i ---- Garrett Ace 350 -------
propointer---------
wireless headphones---
lische with T handle --- stealth & rtg scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went to Paradise beach Tuesday - nothing good-- even dug a few that I knew were metal===== did get a 2# fish wt.=== much replinish dirty sand===
Monday Melbourne Beach at H192 2 coins etc
will go to Cabin wreck area Thusday at low PM tide.
need a good storm ---not even very slow now
RancherjL

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Same here on the West Coast! I actually concentrated on a target in the water for five minutes, if not more, only to pull up a pull tab!
up on the sand I found a nickel, qtr, and a penny and pepper spray!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Gonna follow the low tide out tomorrow afternoon...hoping for some gold

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My area beaches are really undergoing that summer transition. Those soft layers and piles of sand are coming in faster then the goodies can be replenished. Probably going to be like this until the kids are out of school. The weekend traffic alone just isn't providing enough, by Tuesday or Wednesday just about anything lost has been swallowed up.

PS: I think I'll put the big dog on tomorrow and see what happens.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not quite summer here in Minnesota, but you described my hunting conditions to a "T". Only reason to keep doing it is that chunk of gold that pops out in the middle of a whole lot of nothing.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started MDing a bad Day was 2 Gold rings and about $ 5 in coins , now is 2 or3 cents and a bunch of trash.

rancherjl

Jan 22, 2013
Palm Bay, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i ---- Garrett Ace 350 -------
propointer---------
wireless headphones---
lische with T handle --- stealth & rtg scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hit the Green Cabin wreck area today, one piece of copper and pull tabs, hit some #95 (f. metal) but did not dig
went to turtle trail beach Sunday & Thursday and found fish lead etc.
much sand and no beach erosion
nice day to walk on the beach had an ice cream cone on the drive home.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Bad day on the beach still beats a good day at work.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just came back from a five hour water hunt on my area beaches, and man, the sand is really coming in. It's still very slow out there. Maybe this busy holiday weekend will perk things up a bit. But right now I'd stay with the wet sand and dry beach if I didn't love being in the water so darn much.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just came back from a five hour water hunt on my area beaches, and man, the sand is really coming in. It's still very slow out there. Maybe this busy holiday weekend will perk things up a bit. But right now I'd stay with the wet sand and dry beach if I didn't love being in the water so darn much.
Scoop, from the pics a member posted this week of a beach north of you, I believe they're sending it all down your way! It looks like 8-10' wiped out compared to when I was there a year ago.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scoop, from the pics a member posted this week of a beach north of you, I believe they're sending it all down your way! It looks like 8-10' wiped out compared to when I was there a year ago.

You may be right. :laughing7:
This is only the middle of May and we've already got issues with cars getting stuck in all that soft white sand that's piling up in the driving lanes. Myself and the guys I typically hunt with noticed earlier this spring that the sand appeared to be building sooner and we suspected then that it was probably due to the lack of the usual spring northeasters we typically get. Most of the typical winter troughs and cuts we're already starting to close back up clear back in late February and early March. Seems we also started getting those straight in waves earlier this year. I was talking with beach patrol yesterday and one of them remarked that this was the earliest they had ever seen the weed building on the beach. So I think it's going to be a tough summer this year, especially for the water hunting. I've never spent four hours in the water before and come back out with so little. It was pretty barren out there. Even iron scraps were scarce.

Three Bears

Greenie
Apr 30, 2014
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you have "over harvested" like the commerical fisherman do in some areas...... leave a few rings as "seed" for the season....:tongue3:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
So slow yesterday on the Cape that I took up smoking again, using the electronic water logged cigaret I found.
I felt so bad for the next detectorist to search the beach I seeded it with gold plated rings.
It still better than last year.
The SAND, yep we have it bad here, I think it is coming down from Plum Island and the National Seashore where the cliffs are being eroded away and homes are falling into the ocean. I am waiting to find a jewelry chest that may make its way this far south.
Until then I will just be thankful for being able to enjoy a bit of WaterWalking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread