Metal Detector Rental

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most dealers won't rent metal detectors because of the loss of $$$ and wear and tear on the rental units. I worked at a detecting shop and the ones that wanted to find something that was lost didn't have the knowledge to operate the detector. Of the cheap ones we rented, the people came back without finding what they wanted. Good Luck....

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Most dealers won't rent metal detectors because of the loss of $$$ and wear and tear on the rental units. I worked at a detecting shop and the ones that wanted to find something that was lost didn't have the knowledge to operate the detector. Of the cheap ones we rented, the people came back without finding what they wanted. Good Luck....

Yep !

OP
OP
Metal Magnet

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn, ok thats what i thought. Thanks for the replies!

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Reilly's treasured gold in pompano beach Fl has rented out excals before but if you're out of state that info I probably useless. The fact is at least one place does so there has to be more that may.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco rents detectors.....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Reilly's treasured gold in pompano beach Fl has rented out excals before but if you're out of state that info I probably useless. The fact is at least one place does so there has to be more that may.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

An excal in the hands of a first time user would probably be absolutely useless. It's got quite a learning curve going for it...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An excal in the hands of a first time user would probably be absolutely useless. It's got quite a learning curve going for it...

Not really, first time user would usually be digging everything that didn't null.

I have loaned my spare excal several times to friends who wanted to hunt explaining what a null was and showing what a target sounds like, I told them to dig every thing that didn't null and showed them how to double check nulls..

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard people say " the Excal has a huge learning curve" many times. For me it's the simplest machine there is to learn.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard people say " the Excal has a huge learning curve" many times. For me it's the simplest machine there is to learn.

I guess you can say it's got a learning curve if your trying to cherry pick targets but for me it was easy to learn...... I even used it for land hunting until I bought my land detectors.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say the Excal is a fairly easy machine to learn but difficult to master.
The learning curve is not in the machine so much - once it is set up.
The difficulty lies in being able to effectively interpret what the multi variable tones mean
as they are not conclusive.

However, on the beach you can be very effective by following the simple rule of if it beeps dig it.
It's really how difficult or complex you want / need to make it.

In less trashy areas, you can use it in the all metal mode, where you get only one tone, and use it like a PI
for extra depth. Where I hunt, I have not noticed an appreciable increase in depth when hunting. So I mostly hunt in discrimination mode and cherry pick the targets I am looking for.

It is very flexible and powerful tool, definitely not a one trick pony.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I'm still trying to master it! I hunt in PP almost exclusively in saltwater and check targets in disc. I have noticed several inches in depth in PP over disc mode on my Excal 1000. When it is really deep and a faint rise in threshold, I have to start digging down sometimes 4-6" before disc mode will start to give a response.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the variations in the Excal experience is largely a user difference. I use disc and PP both on a regular basis and I see very little difference in depth, maybe an inch or two at most depending on the target. As far as a learning curve, I think the changes in threshold along with the multiple tones tends to confuse a lot of people who aren't use to that sort of a thing, for them the learning curve is probably greater. One thing to remember about the Excal is that when hunting in disc the threshold can still shift over a target without presenting a tone, so even in disc it is still hunting deeper then a lot of hunters realize. Whenever I experience this shift in threshold while in disc I always switch to PP and rescan the area. This same thing can be said of nulls, especially when using the larger coil, if that threshold returns with a mid to high pitch then it may not be iron.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting back to the original question....

I have a buddy who is wanting to rent a metal detector near Destin. I'm assuming they do this. Any recommendations from the folks on Tnet?

Any help appreciated!

The vast majority of places that rents detectors only rent out very basic units like Compadres. Depending on what your friends wants to do with it, a basic unit may work, it may not. Any time friends / family ask to borrow a detector I only ever loan out a simple unit like my SM PI pro, compadre, etc. For someone who doesn't know the detector and wont have it long enough to learn, simple is better.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the reason(s) for the variation(s) in Excalibur performance are far more complex:
Essentially this detector is a switch and potentiometer type of instrument which wears and deteriorates over time plus it built and repaired with discrete components whose bias will drift. That is the reason some detectors are hot in performance while others are not within the same model. The performance will also be affected by the skill and competence of the technician which assembled/repaired a given detector and if it is a variant of a factory model which has been customized for improved performance.

To summarize the above there is a variation in the performance of individual detectors as well a difference in performance between Excalibur Models/Variations.

Vlf detectors can detect incredibly deep targets. A silver cache was detected with a CTX 3030 at six feet, and I have detected and retrieved oversize targets with the Excel ll 1000 and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 at three feet. Since you don’t want to go there unless you know it is not trash. VLF detectors are usually calibrated to tone on a quarter size target ( most are coin shooters) say for example 6 to 8 inch on a mid level detector and 10 to 12 inch on a more expensive detector.
The difference in depth between pin point and discriminate is also beach specific depending on the mineralization, and conductivity of the soil which can change dramatically on some beaches, while others it is so slight that it is difficult to automatically ground balance. Further if there are iron objects close to the search and receive coils it may distort the magnetic field(s).
And like you said it is a matter of your hunting style and your skills such as overlapping, sweep speed, coil control, etc, etc.
IIRC, 27 variables have to be solved simultaneously to determine the location of a single target.

I think the variations in the Excal experience is largely a user difference. I use disc and PP both on a regular basis and I see very little difference in depth, maybe an inch or two at most depending on the target. As far as a learning curve, I think the changes in threshold along with the multiple tones tends to confuse a lot of people who aren't use to that sort of a thing, for them the learning curve is probably greater. One thing to remember about the Excal is that when hunting in disc the threshold can still shift over a target without presenting a tone, so even in disc it is still hunting deeper then a lot of hunters realize. Whenever I experience this shift in threshold while in disc I always switch to PP and rescan the area. This same thing can be said of nulls, especially when using the larger coil, if that threshold returns with a mid to high pitch then it may not be iron.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect that there is less of a difference in depth when using Pin Point (all Metal) Mode or Discrimination Mode on the Excalibur ll 1000 which I hunt with as it has more shielding than the Excalibur 1000.

Yes, I'm still trying to master it! I hunt in PP almost exclusively in saltwater and check targets in disc. I have noticed several inches in depth in PP over disc mode on my Excal 1000. When it is really deep and a faint rise in threshold, I have to start digging down sometimes 4-6" before disc mode will start to give a response.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread