5/22/2014 Beach Metal Detecting to be banned in MA - UPDATE FROM Roger Barbrick

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Passing along from:
Date: May 22, 2014 10:04:22 PM
Subject: DCR detecting ban petition follow-up

First I want to thank you all again for signing the petition to stop a ban on metal detecting on Massachusetts DCR run State beaches. Please keep sharing and getting signatures.
I have been communicating by phone and email with a DCR official and we discussed a meeting he had earlier this week with the DCR Commissioner. Apparently the Commissioner is very understanding of our concerns and they assure me that their intention is not to stop us from beach detecting but to have some "control" and say over it.
Now having said that, I am cautiously optimistic but still guarded. According to the DCR, in the past permission from a supervisor was not written, and they want to have a mechanism in place where permission is provided. They want us to have to obtain "permission" from the "supervisor", and my problem is that we never had to do that before, and timing, tides etc, doesn't really fit in. I expressed that we have never had to find someone to get permission to beach hunt in the past and that I don't see the reason for it in the beach setting.
He agreed with me and stated that the beaches are really not their concern, but really the parks and the special protected sections of beaches. I stated that we understand the desire for park permission since as far as I know it was always that way anyway (correct me if I'm wrong).
I asked if we are still ok to hunt DCR beaches for now and he said that we were and that he would work on this further and continue to communicate with me. Hopefully, they will simply drop any restriction on the beach detecting and we go back to business as usual, but just in case I stated the following:
I made a suggestion that if there was a desire to ban or even control the metal detecting on DCR beaches and other property, maybe folks can get an annual permit to hunt DCR property (at no cost or minimal cost), and when the permit is given a copy of areas "off limits" and a jointly written Code of Ethics and Rules also be given to the detectorist. Anyone found not following the rules would be fined accordingly.
Now understand, this was just a suggestion that I posed in the event that they are looking to ban detecting outright on beaches and parks - nothing set in stone, but we are talking and trying to figure out a happy middle. I am trying to tread carefully so that we get the least restrictions possible for us.
They truly seem to want to work with us so both sides can be happy, but I want to continue collecting signatures and to keep everyone aware of a potential battle down the road.
Please let me know if you or anyone you know are told that they cannot metal detect on a DCR run beach.
Right now it is one step at a time, and I will communicate again with the DCR over the next couple of weeks and update you all after that.
Thanks again
Roger Barbrick

Upvote 0

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
I have been wanting to get my senior pass (over 60) for free admission for the last 2 years and never seem to be in the right pace and right time. Getting a permission slip won't be any easier.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you for the up-date, WaterWalker

Lorraine

OP
OP
WaterWalker

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
It sure would be great if you could get ONE permission slip for ALL State Beaches.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It sure would be great if you could get ONE permission slip for ALL State Beaches.

If there were some prohibition on those other beaches, sure. But if there's no prohibition, then ... no permission slip needed :)

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may sound well and good – BUT:

Once something is taken away, it is seldom given back.

Taking things one step at a time is reactive responding to something being taken away.
A strong proactive stance is needed from the metal detecting community: {Manufacturers, Vendors, Tourists, Hotels, etc} that will document the loss of income to state, county and city government(s) including loss of jobs and tax revenue.

Further, it should be brought to the attention of the media how polluted, unsightly, the State and DCR managed beaches currently are. Plus the additional cost(s) to the State, County, and Cities to pay for the clean up that is being done for free by the detectorists (local and visitors) should be identified.

Chatting on the Forums which keep us informed will only take us so far, such as knowing what is being
Restricted and taken away. A more united and vocal response is needed to prevent the situation from worsening.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the ph# 1-617-626-1250
and e-mail- (ok Murphy's law won't let me post web site). So, you all know the http thing followed by the www. Then you put mass.gov/DCR

These are the phone number and e-mail for the Massachusetts DCR.
We probably need to remind them we haven't gone away yet!

In their conversation with Roger first they say they don't want to take anything away from us, then say they are protecting parks and sensitive beach areas, which by the way are already "off limits". Then they said they just want to tie up the loose ends and align all the park laws....well if the parks are off limits but the beaches are ok to detect (so far), I do not think they will be removing the ban on detecting in the parks, so that suggests a ban on the beaches. And I ask you why can't they just leave it as it is now, they have their ban on the parks let us have our beaches?

Last edited:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just follow the gun laws and see what they do.
Once they get their hands in it they ruin it for everyone.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
they assure me that their intention is not to stop us from beach detecting but to have some "control" and say over it.

Do the kids need a permission slip to build a sand castle? I will never understand how anyone can live in a police state like Massachusetts.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for this thread, guess I didn't see it, & posted another. Sorry Mods.

Good news the DCR is going to let us keep detecting the beaches here in Mass. without permission !
If someone loses a personal item in DCR parks we will be allowed to look for just that item with Park Ranger permission .
So if ya dig up that pot of gold, or any other non-specified lost item, it won't be going home with you.
There was no mention of who gets custody of the trash. :laughing7:

All of you out there who helped make this happen THANK YOU!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread