Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you won't be able to get the box wet as that will kill the 250. An
you il get her wet trust me. The 250 will work however but there are usually lots of trash in the very shallows where you can use the thing. It is much better to look for a Fisher 1280, Tesoro Tiger Shark that are really water proof. The AT Pro will work too, but why use that when you can have a much better water detector. Suggest you invest in a high quality long handled scoop like the Sunspot Stealth as it will last a lifetime.
068.gif 1280-X.jpeg 720i Sunspot.JPG Read my Signature below.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bluedogcards

Jan 12, 2013
El Reno Ok
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tks the coil part can be in water right for what i have read just cant get the main box wet. only looking at less then 4 to 6 inches of water, the scoop thing is nice going to try to make one to save on cost. al ready been thinking about it, so when i do sand pits. am pretty good at things like that. tks for the comments

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The RTG Pro Mini scoop #733 for $99 is all you need. It's very light weight, easy to maneuver and well built. It was the best $99 I've invested in a sand scoop.

Attachments

• image-3496532588.jpg
    image-3496532588.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 107

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I modified a Garrett hand held sand scoop, two u-bolts and a handle, about five foot wooden handle bolts right up to the back of the Garrett scoop.Total cost about 40 bucks. Unless you water hunt all the time the cost for me as I only water hunt a few times a year was a little to high for a quality scoop.Also I bought the handheld when I first got my detector then realized I should have bought a handled scoop.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
The Sunspot or any comparable scoop is the best investment that you will ever make if you are serious about water detecting. One gold ring will pretty much pay for it and if you ever decide to give up water hunting you can easily sell it without losing too much money on it.

OP
OP
B

Bluedogcards

Jan 12, 2013
El Reno Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is what am going to use. it is a small livestock feed scope the opening is 5 1/4 by 6 1/2 and about 8 inches deep. only a couple of dollars, will drill holes in it and put a handle on it only looking for maybe a 20 inch handle 100_5597.JPG 100_5598.JPG

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what am going to use. it is a small livestock feed scope the opening is 5 1/4 by 6 1/2 and about 8 inches deep. only a couple of dollars, will drill holes in it and put a handle on it only looking for maybe a 20 inch handle View attachment 1000584 View attachment 1000585
If you are like me and only water hunt occasionally that should do the job,You will have to make sure it has enough holes to let the sand out easily when sand is wet it sticks a bit more than when it is dry.The only problem I see you having is if you get into rocky gravel it will chew up the plastic pretty fast.

OP
OP
B

Bluedogcards

Jan 12, 2013
El Reno Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are like me and only water hunt occasionally that should do the job,You will have to make sure it has enough holes to let the sand out easily when sand is wet it sticks a bit more than when it is dry.The only problem I see you having is if you get into rocky gravel it will chew up the plastic pretty fast.

Thats a great thought about the rocks,, that makes me think about putting some type of metal edge on it and using rivets Also good point about wet sand being sticky thanks you gave me something to think about.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They do sell metal feed scoops Little Giant® 4 Quart Galvanized Feed Scoop - Tractor Supply Co. But I agree with the others that say a long handled scoop will make for a much more pleasant experience. I also would advise against taking a non waterproof detector to a stream. It only takes one fumble and you're out $200.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started water hunting in November 2012 and used my Garrett GTI-2500 and the best advice I can give you besides the Sunspot scoop is to get a sling for your Ace-250 to keep from dropping it in the water. You find something real good and get excited, drop the Ace in the water and it's all over but the crying. I got the limb saver and use it on my At/Pro in the water now.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd be scared of dropping the machine in the water, but I'm a klutz.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread