May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just picked up a tracker IV and took it out to the beaches near my house (southern NC - kure, carolina, wrightsville, etc.). Had a blast. In about an hour I found $1.15 in nickels/dimes, some metal wires, and about 20 bottle caps. I took my son, who is 3, and we had fun just walking the beach and finding what he calls 'treasure' haha. Anyway just wanted to say hello. The bounty hunter that I have was only $80 on amazon and seems to do an awesome job on the beach. It was a blast. I set it to all metal, and put the sensitivity on 3 o clock because at first i was getting some false negatives in the wetsand but this setting stopped that in a second. fun little detector. If anyone has advice for cleaning the coil after beach use, let me know. its kinda sandy and I brushed it off the best I could but living here, I know salt and sand destroy everything.

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
adambomb, welcome to TNT, keep up your hunting the gold will come. what ever you do ,do not tune out pull tabs,

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Thanks! I will not tune out anything thanks to the info I have read here:) And its so easy to dig at the beach that I don't mind digging a bunch. Its actually one of the reasons I just got a simple bounty hunter - I didnt care if it told me what kind of metal/depth - I am digging regardless.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to Tnet Adambomb!
Ron lord is right about pull tabs as they often have the same or similar tone as different karats of gold and you will discriminate them out. If you get tired of the iron targets tune them out at the most and dig the rest. If you can tell the difference by tones and pass up the junk iron targets without discriminating, then all the better.

Ron lord is right, keep hunting and the gold will come! Some days maybe 5 hrs with nothing and one day right away or hanging in a extra 30 minutes.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Welcome aB and HH

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! The BH is not really the machine to use for wetsand, but in the dry it is pretty deadly. My ex wife used a BH 505 and she had some amazing finds. A great coin shooter. As others stated, dont discim out the pulltabs otherwise you will miss the gold, but it is certainly capable of finding it. It sounds like you found the true meaning of the hobby already .... thats to get out, have fun, and enjoy the company of your family at the same time. Get that treasure!

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Just picked up a tracker IV .... I set it to ...

Atta-boy Adam, you did a great job researching how to use the BH, what to expect, and how to best compensate for your hunting conditions. Honestly, you did a great job...especially for just starting out!
If you decide to stay in the hobby, start keeping your eye open for a used multi-frequency machine to hunt the wet-sand. Older Fisher machines like the CZ-7 are well-built, capable on salt, and can sell for as little as $150.

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Atta-boy Adam, you did a great job researching how to use the BH, what to expect, and how to best compensate for your hunting conditions. Honestly, you did a great job...especially for just starting out!
If you decide to stay in the hobby, start keeping your eye open for a used multi-frequency machine to hunt the wet-sand. Older Fisher machines like the CZ-7 are well-built, capable on salt, and can sell for as little as $150.

Thanks. A lot of reading on these forums before I went out helped significantly.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spending time off the couch with the kid/s outdoors is worth it alone, great memories your giving. Biggest thing I can advise anyone, as long as your enjoying yourself the finds won't matter, ie... Bottlecap, pulltab, nail.. Etc and when they don't matter they tend to get better. Look forward to seeing you with the "fever" lol be safe

Metal Militia

May 17, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 & Garrett Pro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May the spirits of yesteryear lead you where the gold appears. 8-)

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Welcome to T Net! Listen to the Lord he's dug hundreds of rings. I dug a nice men's 10k wedding band the other day which I thought was for sure another pull tab. The gold comes when you're not expecting it. Be positive and persistent in your search and the gold will start to appear.

image-2416924623.jpg

Attachments

• image-777726874.jpg
    image-777726874.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2404586567.jpg
    image-2404586567.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3565205296.jpg
    image-3565205296.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 68

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Welcome aboard! :hello2:

Wash off the coil and lower shaft with fresh water when you get home. Don't go any higher.

I suspect you are already learning that there is a lot more treasure with metal detecting than just the golden goodies.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net! you already discovered the real gold- you and your son detecting together!
You also may want to leave the coil lower than the electronics box for a while just so no water from the shaft runs into the control box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Have went out a few more times now. Mostly going in the mornings as the nights are pretty crowded until dark. Thus far I have found about $2 and tons of junk. I got the harbour freight pinpointer to help me out. I have learned the settings for wet and dry sand on the tracker so that is now working. I find on wet sand I have to go over spots 2 times to ensure its actually metal and not just an error but it seems to be working. Otherwise if anyone has any beach tips let me know (ie where is the best place to search haha).

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Welcome to the forum , Adam.

I wish you the best in finding treasures:hello2:

Lorraine

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Have went out a few more times now. Mostly going in the mornings as the nights are pretty crowded until dark. Thus far I have found about $2 and tons of junk. I got the harbour freight pinpointer to help me out. I have learned the settings for wet and dry sand on the tracker so that is now working. I find on wet sand I have to go over spots 2 times to ensure its actually metal and not just an error but it seems to be working. Otherwise if anyone has any beach tips let me know (ie where is the best place to search haha).

How is the pin pointer from Harbor Freight by the way? Could u post a pic?

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
How is the pin pointer from Harbor Freight by the way? Could u post a pic?

Here is a link with pic: Metal Detector

I got it for around $16 total with a mem day discount. Its awesome. Depending on the sensitivity the item can be touching it or a few inches away from it. Ive done a bunch of tests around my house with it and it worked well. At the beach I find I set the sensitivity to the lowest or it just goes off the whole time. This mean the item needs to be about 1 inch from the point, which is fine for me. I use it to dig through my scoop to find the item. It has saved me quite a bit of time. I Have read reviews that the button sticks and needs some modifications after a while, but I have yet to experience this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread