Left Fla. coast vacation whatnot. What do you think?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave44
  • 1 Post By Silvestri
  • 1 Post By G.I.B.
  • 1 Post By Boatlode
  • 1 Post By Thommy
  • 1 Post By Dave44
  • 1 Post By davest

Thread: Left Fla. coast vacation whatnot. What do you think?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    2223 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Left Fla. coast vacation whatnot. What do you think?

My wife, who only detects when we go to a beach, has proven that experience only goes so far. Again.

Sure, I find 4 times the targets, but in this case apparently all the Floridians left me were pop tops and pull tabs. By the pound actually.

And my honey found a nice 925 necklace. ( I am still cleaning it, seems it has been in the drink awhile.)

We also stumbled on quite a few bullets, most looked to be 30 cal copper jacket. A few were smaller. Which brings me to her best find( I think).

What do you all think this is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	1003791   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	135 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	1003792   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	128 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	1003793   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	129 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	1003794  
    BVI Hunter likes this.
    Thomas Paine-
    "Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil," Paine wrote, and "in its worst state an intolerable one." Like many Americans today, Paine believed that government added insult to injury by using tax dollars in ways that were actually harmful to the public. "When we suffer," wrote Paine, "or are exposed to the same miseries by a government which we might expect in a country without government, our calamities are heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer." To Paine, "securing freedom and property to all men, and, above all things, freedom of religion," were the only legitimate functions of government. Americans generally agreed, and went to war to achieve this vision.
    http://mises.org/freemarket_detail.aspx?control=233

"People whose lives are barren and insecure seem to show a greater willingness to obey than people who are self-sufficient and self-confident. To the frustrated, freedom from responsibility is more attractive than freedom from restraint. They are eager to barter their independence for relief of the burdens of willing, deciding and being responsible for inevitable failure. They willingly abdicate the directing of their lives to those who want to plan, command and shoulder all responsibility." ~Eric Hoffer “The True Believer”

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

us
    Apr 2006
    suncoast sw florida
    eyes in my head for now
    1 times
    nice finds!...West Coast u said? Women...like parachutes ....are lucky to have along most of the time....but you have to deploy them at the right moments...
    Dave44 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    North Central Florida
    CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
    8555 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member, Deliverer of World Peace
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The west coast of Florida was a very busy place being shot up by airplanes. The beaches, the swamps, everywhere... The state was one big target. Nobody would ever live in a swamp, and there were hundreds upon hundreds of miles of undeveloped beach's.

During WWII the training pilots strafed Venice Beach, dropped practice bombs on Horseshoe Beach and basically shot up Apalachicola. Bombs hit the wilderness north of Orlando and west of Miami. Nobody would ever live in the swamps...

So, finding lot's of spent bullets and military ammo from that time frame is quite common, depending on what beach you were on.
    Dave44 likes this.
    Get up late... Start slow... Taper off early...

I am a second level vegetarian. Cow's eat grass. I eat cows.

Half of everything I do today will be wrong. I just don't know which half yet.

us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    2223 times
    Yep. The beach was resanded last year, and the bullets were deposited onto the beach from about a mile out, I hear. But the pictures of the bullet I posted looks a lot like the ones I find around here, ( hint. Hint).

Judging by the pounds of garbage I found I would say it looks like you fellas down there need to do some metal detector recruiting! Lol
    Thomas Paine-
    "Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil," Paine wrote, and "in its worst state an intolerable one." Like many Americans today, Paine believed that government added insult to injury by using tax dollars in ways that were actually harmful to the public. "When we suffer," wrote Paine, "or are exposed to the same miseries by a government which we might expect in a country without government, our calamities are heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer." To Paine, "securing freedom and property to all men, and, above all things, freedom of religion," were the only legitimate functions of government. Americans generally agreed, and went to war to achieve this vision.

"People whose lives are barren and insecure seem to show a greater willingness to obey than people who are self-sufficient and self-confident. To the frustrated, freedom from responsibility is more attractive than freedom from restraint. They are eager to barter their independence for relief of the burdens of willing, deciding and being responsible for inevitable failure. They willingly abdicate the directing of their lives to those who want to plan, command and shoulder all responsibility." ~Eric Hoffer “The True Believer”

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    2223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvestri View Post
    nice finds!...West Coast u said? Women...like parachutes ....are lucky to have along most of the time....but you have to deploy them at the right moments...
    Ha. I always deploy her at the best possible moment to fully utilize the strategic importance of such a fearful weapon!

Thanks!
    Thomas Paine-

us
    Stickmarsh Jedi Master

Mar 2014
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Tesoro Sand Shark...... Atomic SV2 snorkel...... Scubapro Jet Fins................... Mares Puck dive computer....... Sherwood Silhouette BCD....... Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
    1740 times
    Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.B. View Post
    Nobody would ever live in a swamp.
    I live in a swamp.
    wildcarrot likes this.
    "Today's the day!" - Mel Fisher

us
    Mar 2012
    Northern Florida
    Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
    73 times
    Relic Hunting
    Looks like a badly eroded Minie Ball. There was a bit of Civil War action on the West Coast, mostly around Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Cedar Key.
    Dave44 likes this.
    When used appropriately, the metal detector is an invaluable tool for the Professional Archaeologist.

us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    2223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thommy View Post
    Looks like a badly eroded Minie Ball. There was a bit of Civil War action on the West Coast, mostly around Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Cedar Key.
    GOOD CALL!! I was surprised to see it, I started digging what I thought had been beer cans,,( they actually were if you were wondering), But I was extremely impressed that this bullet was deposited on the beach in the replenishment project. Caused me some deep, sandy, pits.
    wildcarrot likes this.
    Thomas Paine-

Charter Member

Nov 2007
    somewhere between here and there, south of over there but north of that place
    titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
    1212 times
    man, if I would have known you were visiting we could have gotten together for a few coldies.
    Dave44 likes this.
    when you tug on a single thing in nature, you'll find it's connected to the rest of the world. John muir

us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    2223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davest View Post
    man, if I would have known you were visiting we could have gotten together for a few coldies.
    I didn't know that was your area! Sorry I missed it!
    Thomas Paine-

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links