Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took out the CTX 3030 this afternoon and said it was sink or swim time. I was going to call it either The Titanic or The Unsinkable Molly Brown.
Not many targets in the water but in the end I dug up a Tungsten Carbide ring with a diamond and a couple of coins. The detector worked perfectly in the Seawater Mode.
After washing off the detector I found it quite dry. Guess I'll call it "The Molly Brown" for now and leave the Unsinkable part out .

Attachments

• tung 001.JPG
    tung 001.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TC with diamonds...............UGH

Still a nice find, congrats.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good first run Les, I got one about 3 weeks ago and only been out once. Just a little leery on submerging more then the handle grip. All I got was a Merc n V nickel, and lots of trash. What I need to do is learn it on land first then venture out deep.

Congrads on the Diamond.....

OP
OP
Les West Central Fl

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good first run Les, I got one about 3 weeks ago and only been out once. Just a little leery on submerging more then the handle grip. All I got was a Merc n V nickel, and lots of trash. What I need to do is learn it on land first then venture out deep.

Congrads on the Diamond.....
I took the machine deep. The only difficulty was digging up the targets, I am used to my old Xcal. Guess the secret to not getting water in the detector is maintaining a CLEAN GASKET.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ring is a good find to me...glad to see you posting again Les.

rons1947

Jul 12, 2007
Palm Bay,Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I met a guy, about a month ago,who said that he had solved his CTX 3030 leakage problem by putting rubber bands around the rear detector housing.

OP
OP
Les West Central Fl

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met a guy, about a month ago,who said that he had solved his CTX 3030 leakage problem by putting rubber bands around the rear detector housing.
That is only to keep the battery latches securely closed, It is a great idea to keep from accidentially opening the battery hold down latch.
I must also say that the CTX gives excellent tones on its signals.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I started off with the 6 inch because I wanted to see if the Excalibur was missing targets because of this one iron ridden area. The Excalibur was right on because I run the Sunray 5 on it, what I had a issue with was I am use to telling the depth of the target by the audio strength of the target in PP with the xcalibur, where as the CTX I could not tell the depth other then by the depth gauge and since targets are based on coin size it really throws off the depth meter on deep larger trash...

Les you using the stock 11?

OP
OP
Les West Central Fl

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started off with the 6 inch because I wanted to see if the Excalibur was missing targets because of this one iron ridden area. The Excalibur was right on because I run the Sunray 5 on it, what I had a issue with was I am use to telling the depth of the target by the audio strength of the target in PP with the xcalibur, where as the CTX I could not tell the depth other then by the depth gauge and since targets are based on coin size it really throws off the depth meter on deep larger trash...

I am using the stock 11 inch, I also have the 6 inch for trashy areas. I tried the 11 inch coil in a very trashy area looking for someone's ring in a kayak launching area. The signals were too much to handle with it. I never found the ring for the person.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Joe, turn your volume gain down to around 15, that will change your target volume softer for deep or small targets louder for large or shallow targets. Works great IF you have good headphones and hearing.
Cliff

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring Les, glad your 3030 is working good, HH

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, turn your volume gain down to around 15, that will change your target volume softer for deep or small targets louder for large or shallow targets. Works great IF you have good headphones and hearing.
Cliff

I wonder if one might risk missing a deep target with the lower volume gain. Thus a trade off between a better understanding of depth of target vs. achieving maximum depth. Or do you think with careful listening the deep targets still get through?

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony i used an Explorer for a good many years that allowed that same modulation on targets. In open ground using modulation was the ticket because you could go by tone and rarely look at the screen. In a trashy area i increased it so all targets sounded the same..... just for that reason, i didnt want to find myself concentration on loud targets thinking some of the weak targets were minerals... that werent. Congrats on the Ring Les. Heard you had some upper arm issues, hope the arms better.

Dew

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my ctx and haven't had any problems at all with leaks, good luck out there hunting Les and OBN I use the stock coil, sea water on and silver mode has great tones.:thumbsup:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd be more than a little mad if I spent $2500 on a waterproof metal detector that leaked.

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See what happens when the threaten a CTX! Nice job!

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never had any moisture inside the battery compartment with the CTX in the ocean. However, before each hunt i clean out the slots with a Q-tip and wipe clean the O-ring. I apply some silicone grease to the O-ring running it between the fingers. It seals very well. While the locking tabs don't have much power to hold the battery in place, I haven't needed to use any banding. In the water I have no choice than to move slowly so no risk to the knocking around the tabs.

The only draw back is wearing sunglasses makes it hard to see the screen. But in the water sunglasses are mandatory.

Jackalope

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rubber band is still a good idea, if hate to brush against the latch and pop it when wading!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread