Beach hunters, do you hit the parks too?

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I live in South Florida, not far from the beach, so I often hunt the beach. I like the beach because of many reasons including:

1. You can find very valuable items, gold chains, diamond rings, etc.

2. It's a rare day I come home empty handed.

3. Digging is easy

4. The scenery is GREAT

5. The exercise is GREAT.

I also love to be able to take a break, hit a restaurant and have a cold one, and then get back to it.

You don't get this with parks. Instead, recovery is very difficult at older parks. They are full of trash, worse than the beach. My hands get black with dirt (I don't wear gloves).

That said, I still find myself hitting parks. Ideally I look for old parks, big trees. I find the difficult trashy situations help my detecting and recovery skills. I usually leave parks disappointed, and I always find myself thinking about the beach :).

I am wondering if most of you beach bums give parks a thought at all or are just die hard beach hunters.

Signal

Upvote 0

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
personally I dont like the excal on land, its the only machine I have right now. most excal guys wont go on land, it doesnt pinpoint well and you would make a mess. So just he beach for me

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Me too. Beach only. When I can get there! Work, work, work.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I get really bored, I'll take the AT Pro to the local schools or parks. My area is not too old and the ground is very hard so I usually kill an hour or two and call it. I prefer the beach.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt sports fields, old home sites, sidewalk tear outs and parks...Im two hours from the beach...the beach is my favorite.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You Florida guys are lucky to be able to hit the beaches after dusk, New York laws suck! And a conflicting federal law too! A lot of long islands South shore lies in Fire Island National seashore so it's all off limits for us, but a lot of the treasure coast is national seashore and you're allowed ! I would love to get that straitened out,

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you think we are lucky, well try this not far from where I live a man went out hunting at night and two guy kill him just for his detector. I don't go out any more with out a Gun or some other type of protection.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the park ... Well used parks can provide just as much gold as the beach.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit parks as much as the beach, as well as misc medians, residential homes, highly trafficked businesses medians and grass, really anywhere I can. But parks have treated me very well, it can be overwhelming at a park just as the beach, best thing is to pick a section and work it rinse and repeat. Currently we have some serious issues with parks and rec permitting detecting in the parks, need support to rectify this issue. Mostly with local registered voters as well as any person or persons whom would for go visiting due to the inability to detect public parks.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron , what beach was that That someone was killed for a metal detector? Was it a minelab?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I moved to Florida from Indiana I traveled a lot and hunted all over the place. I enjoyed it a lot. However, once you move to the coast this is where history pretty much started so anything and everything is possible. The history is so vast and expansive why go anywhere else when it's all right here? In the summer it's pretty much modern jewelry, etc. But after a storm or during the winter, well, history can come to life in your scoop at any moment. It's just difficult to pull yourself away once you're here and you begin to realize what's possibly right under your feet.

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Florida grass is an intertwined, sprawling entanglement of fiberous greenery that often requires more of a hack saw than a digger. As you pull up a plug, fire ants and scorpions attack you while red, brown, and black widow spiders scramble in all directions. If you are near shrubs or a forest reserve.....keep an eye out for wild boar, black bears and a vast variety of poisonous snakes. Ahhh, yeah, it seems everything in Florida is trying to eat us! Meanwhile, hunting the surf only requires us to watch out for sharks, rays, eels, gators, jellys, and riptides which want to drown us and then eat us too.

Kind of makes me wonder how the conquistidors survived all this natural nonsense? lol So, yeah, I hit the parks...but during the cold, cold winter months where the temps dip into the 40s. ha ha ha

Last edited:

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
During the winter I hunt wet sand and knee deep water because that's about all that is available to me. But summer I like to mix it up with about half my time in the dry sand, and occasionally a park for a change of pace. I just like detecting, period.

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in south Florida as well and sometimes I will hit the parks but I am always drawn to the sand volleyball courts if they have them, lol. I believe that the beach hunting spoils us!

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the the LI beaches. I could never move away from the shore. I will occasionally try my hand at a park or a school, but the digging is much harder on my back and quite frankly, people seem less accepting of md hunters on land around here.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Florida grass is an intertwined, sprawling entanglement of fiberous greenery that often requires more of a hack saw than a digger. As you pull up a plug, fire ants and scorpions attack you while red, brown, and black widow spiders scramble in all directions. If you are near shrubs or a forest reserve.....keep an eye out for wild boar, black bears and a vast variety of poisonous snakes. Ahhh, yeah, it seems everything in Florida is trying to eat us! Meanwhile, hunting the surf only requires us to watch out for sharks, rays, eels, gators, jellys, and riptides which want to drown us and then eat us too.

Kind of makes me wonder how the conquistidors survived all this natural nonsense.

You forgot to mention the most vicious, spawn of satan, flesh eating critters that infest every environment found in Florida (except possibly offshore reefs deeper than 20 feet, but I haven't counted them out yet either): chiggers. The word itself makes me itch.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
I have dug a few parks and maybe at some point I will again. I did some cherry picking for silver coins and found some, but I came to realize the reward is not worth the effort here in SoCal. Silver is pretty cheap in the realm of things. Maybe if I lived in a historic area, my thinking might be different digging parks and places of interests.

I've tried a few sports fields looking for gold. But you just can't cherry pick for gold, but you can eliminate some metals. I dug a lot of holes for a couple of junk rings. Again, the getting on your knees crap, poking into the ground, getting dirty, coming up with crap out of the hole, is not worth the effort to me.

You just can't beat the beach sand when you can make many easy clean scoops in the time it takes to dig one dirty hole in hard soil.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
I have not encountered some of the pests mentioned. I have seen "NoSeeUm's" on hutchinson island, worst ever………., other than that, no black widows, scorpions, alligators, or anything I really have to worry about. I am born and raised in south florida, never been stung by a jelly, never even seen a coral snake. I have seen plenty of cottonmouths, but generally those aren't in areas I would be detecting.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have not encountered some of the pests mentioned. I have seen "NoSeeUm's" on hutchinson island, worst ever………., other than that, no black widows, scorpions, alligators, or anything I really have to worry about. I am born and raised in south florida, never been stung by a jelly, never even seen a coral snake. I have seen plenty of cottonmouths, but generally those aren't in areas I would be detecting.

Can I stand next to you? Maybe some of your aura will rub off on me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread