To All The Family Guys

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was on the beach yesterday I couldn't help but see a guy chasing his 3 little ones around. They were running all over and he was going in every direction rounding them up. The children then spotted me and before I knew it I had 3 silent spectators a couple feet away. Dad came over and told them to leave me alone. Dad then mentioned to me he detected too. He asked me some questions about my Whites PI and he said he had a Garrett. He told me he doesn't get out very often with his job and family. He had been contemplating bringing it with him on this vacation. But he pointed out as I could see he had to keep the little army in check. He said he wouldn't mind looking for some gold. I told him Dude you already found gold. You got a beautiful wife and three beautiful kids. Before you know it those kids will be grown up and you will be walking that little girl down the aisle. Then you will have time to enjoy this hobby.
To all you young people out there your time will come as you get older. Yes retirement is a beautiful thing. There were many days years ago when I would have loved to been detecting instead of working. I remember getting out only a few times a month if I was lucky. But I made it a goal to keep up on the hobby by reading and that was before the internet. Enjoy and treasure these family moments while you can. Life goes by real fast!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen brother. That is why I hunt in the early AM, at night or when my family is tied up doing other things. I am the king of the 30 minute hunts.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sounds like those kids might like going metal detecting with Dad. Give them each a garden trowel and you have a digging crew.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do ya mean me?

Peter_Griffin.png

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to think you can have a family and enjoy a hobby at the same time.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've run into littles one at the beach a few times. When the parent comes over to tell them to leave me alone, I tell them it's ok and let them help me sift through the sand. I let them keep a clad coin or two and put a smile on their face.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks cigarman! Sometimes It's easy to forget how fortunate we are!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've run into littles one at the beach a few times. When the parent comes over to tell them to leave me alone, I tell them it's ok and let them help me sift through the sand. I let them keep a clad coin or two and put a smile on their face.
I always tell the parents that the kids are not bothering me.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always tell the parents that the kids are not bothering me.

THEN YOU GET SOME PARENTS THAT HAND THEIR KIDS A HANDFUL OF PENNIES AND TELL THEM TO THROW THEM AROUND YOU
HAD THAT HAPPEN A FEW TIMES
HAVE HAD FATHER WITH SONS SIT AT WATERS EDGE AND THROW THEM IN FRONT OF ME TOO

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I handed out "buried pirate treasure" again last evening. :laughing7: I have "a lot" of fun with the little munchkins. Last summer I walked down the beach with this huge sack full of sunglasses and let the little ones pick out the pair they wanted. What a hoot that was! Sunglasses bigger then their heads. :laughing7:

Apr 7, 2014
MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Garrett AT Pro
Thanks, nice article. I have two of my own and realize I should have made my handle The Naptime Digger, lol! I hope mine like the hobby when they are bigger and we can go together!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks, nice article. I have two of my own and realize I should have made my handle The Naptime Digger, lol! I hope mine like the hobby when they are bigger and we can go together!

Take them with you as soon as they are out of diapers and let them dig. "Salt" a few holes with coins and trinkets and let them find them (old matchbox cars are treasures). If they are bitten by the bug, you can give them an intro level detector of their own when they are old enough, and you have a hunting partner for life.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I handed out "buried pirate treasure" again last evening. :laughing7: I have "a lot" of fun with the little munchkins. Last summer I walked down the beach with this huge sack full of sunglasses and let the little ones pick out the pair they wanted. What a hoot that was! Sunglasses bigger then their heads. :laughing7:

This year I'm thinking toy cars, etc. If I come across enough of them this summer?

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THEN YOU GET SOME PARENTS THAT HAND THEIR KIDS A HANDFUL OF PENNIES AND TELL THEM TO THROW THEM AROUND YOU HAD THAT HAPPEN A FEW TIMES HAVE HAD FATHER WITH SONS SIT AT WATERS EDGE AND THROW THEM IN FRONT OF ME TOO
It seems like a lot of adults do this without kids present!

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I know is that it goes by fast guys! Enjoy your babes now. But keep doing your thing. I used to pick up my kids from school in my wetsuit after windsurfing! :icon_queen:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i really like a man who knows that kids are a treasure,they have been a blessing for me,i have two.i took them eveywhere i went when they were younger and remember those days.i wish everyone would be kind to kids because nothing makes my blood boil worse then when they are not.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A few weeks ago while detecting I ran across a father and his son (around six years old) the boy had a very basic toy like metal detector walking down the beach, they saw me and came over asking for some advice first thing I did was reach in my pouch and pull out a hot wheels truck to give to him and then a few coins to test his detector with. After a few minor adjustments, they were on there way looking for more treasure. That was a fine example of a great father spending time with his son, he said I made their day, but really, they made my day.
Cliff

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how it's feels. I go out 2 hours before daylight and hunt til about 7 then go home get a shower and take the wife and youngest to the beach or shopping. Just try to spend as much time as I can with the youngest did not realize how fast time goes missed out with my oldest.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You parents are blessed and your children are your blessing. Enjoy them even when they are having their little temper tantrums or going thru teenage rebellions. Teaching them to be ethical dirt fishers is the icing on the cake. I wouldn't care for anyone throwing pennies around my detector, tho. Guess I'm an old grouch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread