Excalibur lower shaft stuck to Anderson carbon fiber long shaft

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While on a beach hunt this morning I noticed the arm cuff on my Anderson carbon fiber (over-under) straight shaft had cracked. Good timing I guess because my new balanced straight rod from Rods-by-Plugger arrived by Fedex this evening. The problem I have is the Excaliber fiberglass coil rod is stuck to the Anderson carbon fiber long shaft. The plastic cam lock is froze solid. I tried loosening the cam lock with WD-40. No dice. Vice grips didn't work either. Guess I should have taken it apart and cleaned it occasionally. That cam lock has had 16 months to fuze to the shaft. :BangHead: I'm considering cutting the cam lock off the shaft at this point. Anyone have a less drastic idea?

Here is a photo of the old Anderson arm cuff.

Attachments

• IMG_5061.JPG
    IMG_5061.JPG
    898.7 KB · Views: 401
Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The arm cuff on my Excal broke exactly the same way today. Luckily I had an older pair of SS crutches that I had been saving for just this occasion, found them at a thrift store for $10. Arm cuffs on these things are also padded stainless and one of them bolted right onto my Excal SS shaft. Good as gold now.

As for the frozen shaft/lock....good luck. My advise, just keep soaking it until it starts to loosen up. The last time I had one froze it took about three days of constant soaking.

OP
OP
Fitzwilk

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aaargh. Three days of soaking? I won't last that long. :tongue3: I'm jonesin' to swing the new shaft already.

Thanks Bigscoop....

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
My Excalibur Shaft froze up also. I was able to push the Spring Pin in. It took me 3 Days about 6-7 hours to free up the 2 Shaft's. Keep putting water in the lower shaft and the turn it up side down and you will be amazed how much sand the 2 shafts hold. I finally took and placed 3 Dimes in my top shaft and let it slide all the way to the bottom of the lower shaft ( where it hit the Spring Clip and then took a 1'4 steel rod and beat on it. ( I don't recommend this ) It finally separated when all the sand was removes from both of the shafts-Joy Detergent-WD 40 , etc.

Last edited:

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prepare to buy a new lower! If you can get it to wiggle with a vice grip you may be able to get it out , the prob is you might crush the lower rod trying to get a good bite on it! The best penetrating product I've ever used is called kroil!

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
PB Blaster is a really good penetrating oil also. It's way better than WD40.
I'd send some hot water down the shaft with controls off of course. I usually drill a hole about a 1/4" above where the two lowest parts of the coil shaft. This keeps the sand that gets in the shaft flowing out every time I'm in the water or when rinsing. That sand build up gets pretty heavy in your shaft and you wouldn't notice how much lighter it should be until it's out. It will really help to clean out your shaft while trying to gently wiggle the cam lock and lower shaft while blasting water from a garden hose. A funnel can help drive the water down the tube. I strongly recommend removing your coil first to avoid breaking the mount. 1/4" hole and hose works great. Hope this helps!
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Cut that baby off...Your a Pirate not a mechanic.........

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a mechanic and pirate! Go get some Kroil oil and it will do the trick! It will work wonders over WD-40

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally I would think there couldn't be much of a difference between penetrating oil products , but having seen a dropped in the mud and left for 2 Years snap on ratchet be freed up and work like new , I say Kroil ! Although I like the hot water suggestion too!

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cut it like OBN said.

I don't even use camlocks anymore, rod to rod is tight enough for me, a little play is ok, and it all rinses out cleanly.
drilled a hole or two in each minelab lower rod also, near the bottom, to flush that out as well.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, now I'm thinking "trophy equipment" display. A nice looking plaque, some fashionable hangers, I can see the thing hanging on a wall as if to say, "A true treasure hunter's wall hanger." Could even double as an emergency crutch if you ever broke a leg. :thumbsup:

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditched the cam locks on my excal setups, even ditched the newer plugger ones, just run without now, works fine, a few wraps of black tape instead (or not). Have free'd up several stuck lowers, using a long screwdriver through the coil adapter hole, a little twisting (not much) and some careful tapping on the screwdriver to move it out of the main shaft, tapping the screwdriver as close to the coil adapter as possible, has worked every time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread