Upvote 0
OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Yeah but a jeweller I've heard will give you nothing compared to what it's really worth if they were to sell it under their glass.

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
depends .you need to be in with him. depends on consignment fee

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I think diamonds really have no resale value to a treasure hunter. Look at Todd Hoffman who found diamonds in Guyana...worthless!!!

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not true Irish. here is a pic of a ring I found that had a 3'4 carrot diamond. The jeweler really only wanted the diamond P7280271_edited-1.JPG not a good pic of the diamond but the ring weighed 18.2 grams. the jeweler said the diamond was of quality.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diamonds, think of them in the same manner as coins, you have the common stuff that has flooded the market, then you have the rarer stuff, and then you have the truly rare stuff. Like coins, diamonds are also graded which weighs heavily on their value. Due to all of this it's quite possible to have a small diamond that's worth a lot more then a big diamond.

Unfortunately, the only way to establish a diamond's real value is to have it graded and appraised, which cost $$$. However, most experienced jewelers can take a quick look at a diamond and tell you if it's worth having it appraised or not. You just have to decide if you can trust that particular jeweler.

Also keep in mind, there are two kinds of appraisals, there is the true value appraisal and then there is the commercial value appraisal, the later usually being many times what the diamond is actually worth in face value.

And the sad part in all of this, take that diamond to five different jewelers and you're likely to get five appraisals that vary quite a bit. But, if you want to stand any chance of selling it in the open market for at least decent money then you'll need a certified appraisal of some type.

PS: The last quality diamond ring I had appraised cost me something like $125 but for that particular ring it was worth it.

Last edited:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Raymond lee jewelers in boca raton fl. Is a very respectable dealer and has always served me well. This info is probably useless for most of you that aren't in the area but the point being that there are decent jewelers out there that will do the right thing for you. I had offers from 4 other dealers in the area that were insulting but if you stick to your guns on what you are looking for you can always do a little better. 1st of all Never sell to a pawn shop and don't fall for the game of low ball offers. I've sold gold with and without diamonds to Raymond Lee after having offers from the other local jewelers in a 20 minute surrounding area and they offered me $20 to $30 dollars more then the others in the area.
For those of you in the area I'd recommend checking them out. They are interested in Diamonds more then your gold and platinum. I recommend not telling them you found your jewelry metal detecting because one sales women disliked the idea saying someone could have reported it lost or stolen. Went back in after a few months and they forgot when I told them.
I showed the woman a ring I sold on eBay and asked if I got a fair price and she advised me that the 2 diamonds would have brought more than I received for the gold. $455 was the sale price for just over 1/2 ounce chunker.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just remember an item is only worth what some will give you for it. I had found one ring and was offered $900 for the ring and I could keep the 1.5c diamond. I still wear the ring. Personally I have found that diamonds less than 1c are worth close to nothing, unless they are of exceptional quality - all 3Cs are perfect.
If you do sell an item, be happy with the sale and don't look back. "If I had only..." does not help your enjoyment of the hobby.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of diamond info on the internet that you might want to research just so you'll have a better feel for that market.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Cash paid out for a GIA certified Diamond from a Platinum ring, the jeweler wanted the diamond only, both hunter n jeweler split the 800 it cost to get it certified. Sorry cannot show the ring, but it was stunning, I believe it was 3c, total pay off 34,600.oo cash. Original offer from one jeweler was 25g so he took it to another, he said get it certified and I can get you more.

Just looking at the cash is a Banner......

pic minus a few bucks for a CTX....... OBN0144 (2).jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Before you sell any large diamond, I'd have it graded.
The GIA, in Carlsbad California, is the best place (IMO) in the USA (and one of the most foremost in the world) to get large diamonds (over 1c) graded.
It costs money, but their grading and certification is the best --for sellers wanting to sell.
Their Certification for diamonds is as reliable as the best professional graders for coins; perhaps even better.
Sure it costs, but you can rely on the certification of grade.
The GIA does not appraise, they only certify the "four Cs" that compose the quality of each stone.
It's well worth the investment, especially if 'locals' tell you you have a stone of high quality.
Don.......

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cash paid out for a GIA certified Diamond from a Platinum ring, the jeweler wanted the diamond only, both hunter n jeweler split the 800 it cost to get it certified. Sorry cannot show the ring, but it was stunning, I believe it was 3c, total pay off 34,600.oo cash. Original offer from one jeweler was 25g so he took it to another, he said get it certified and I can get you more.

Just looking at the cash is a Banner......

pic minus a few bucks for a CTX....... View attachment 1006144

Joe, do you know what it roughly cost the individual to have that stone certified, just so folks have a general idea of those cost?

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Wow! OBN that is a nice wad of cash for that diamond!! One day I hope to find a nice stone.

metalhead

Mar 24, 2012
York
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sovereign GT
Minlab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a nice diamond ring took it to jeweler for apprasil he apprased it for 3700 he offerd me 1800

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
I was quoted GIA cert from JAX gem at $60-80 per stone. Same advice as others regarding only worth it for stones at 1ct and up.

Also consider contacting ur local lapidary club/society. They often have instructors that can do it for u cheap.....and while u watch.

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Just like gold, diamonds are traded on a daily "diamond market" with a price index for clear colored diamonds based on the 4c's and then individual charts for natural diamonds, treated diamonds, and man-made diamonds. I am not aware of such charts for the blue's and pink's, as these were traded on a case by case basis due to their scarcity.

wow, i got offered 5 dollars a piece for my diamond collection, no lie bro, cant get crap for anything under a carrott
unless a stone has an exceptional cut, clarity, and (lack of) color, most diamond chips are bought in bulk for $2-20 dollars each. Heck, I have a faceting machine and it cost me several hours plus that much in materials to facet a stone...but overseas mfg's have cheap labor and/or automated CNC equipment to crank these puppies out. So, if you have not had any luck selling a real stone, then once again I suggest contacting your local lapidary club. These clubs have gold and silver smithing classes where many of the particpants enjoy making their own jewelry. Of course many of them are on a tight budget, but they are more likely to offer you a fair price....or might even help you make a custom piece of jewelry that you can utilize the stones and wear yourself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread