Ace 350 in the sand?

bettendorfJoe

Jan 23, 2013
Quad Cities (Iowa/Illinois)
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
I am headed out to California and was told to keep my Ace 350 in the dry sand because it will "poop itself".

I know that it is not waterproof like other detectors, but is it that bad in the ankle deep water/wet sand?

Any others out there that have experience on these beaches with a 350? I am going to the Laguna Beach/Newport Beach area.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Joe,
Most detectors have a real problem in wet saltwater sand because the salt is conductive. Add to this the shore could have black sand in varying amounts just like salt. it would work fine in the dry sand. Only PI's and detectors with more than one transmit frequency can handle the wet sand. Some detectors are advertised as beach detectors but at some locations they are a POS.

Last edited:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black sand drives it crazy, I live in ca and in Santa Cruz the sand is highly mineralized. .

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sometimes you have to "see it, to believe it." So when you get to the beach, drop a ring or a coin in the dry sand and swing your detector over the target. If you are near wet or black sand, you'll have to lower the sensitivity of the machine and consequently, will reduce the depth of target recognition.
Next, bury the coin/ring in wet sand and try it again. You'll likely find out that your detector either does not recognize the target or it goes off where there are no targets at all., ie. a false signal.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am headed out to California and was told to keep my Ace 350 in the dry sand because it will "poop itself".

I know that it is not waterproof like other detectors, but is it that bad in the ankle deep water/wet sand?

Any others out there that have experience on these beaches with a 350? I am going to the Laguna Beach/Newport Beach area.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Machine will work great in the dry sand. Won't work in the wet sand or the water dual to the mineralization and the fact that your machine is a single frequency unit. You can reduce its sensitivity as far as you can, to quiet all the chirping its going to do (most of it) but doing so will result in loss of depth and good targets. Dont fret however, as there is just as much gold in the dry as in the wet, you just need to put your coil on top of it. Good luck!

OP
OP
bettendorfJoe

bettendorfJoe

Jan 23, 2013
Quad Cities (Iowa/Illinois)
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
WHAT ABOUT THE WET SAND HERE IN THE MIDWEST? YES...THERE ARE "SOME" BEACHES IN THE MUD FILLED LAKES AND RIVERS OF THE MIDWEST. WHEN WE GET A DAY OFF THE FARM WE SOMETIMES LIKE TO GO A-SWIMM'N-IN THE MUD HOLES!

WHAT I MEAN IS, IS IT THE SALT AND BLACK SAND THAT DRIVES IT CRAZY? MIGHT I HAVE SOME LUCK ON A LOCAL LAKE BEACH?

THANKS!

JOE

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lakes are fine and not all beaches have black sand..LAKES ARE GREAT!

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fresh water tends to be alot easier to dectect due to the lack of salt minerlization making dectectors that are not suited for it false and chatter alot. If it's waterproof then have at it....

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be sure the only part you put in the water is the coil

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT ABOUT THE WET SAND HERE IN THE MIDWEST? YES...THERE ARE "SOME" BEACHES IN THE MUD FILLED LAKES AND RIVERS OF THE MIDWEST. WHEN WE GET A DAY OFF THE FARM WE SOMETIMES LIKE TO GO A-SWIMM'N-IN THE MUD HOLES!

WHAT I MEAN IS, IS IT THE SALT AND BLACK SAND THAT DRIVES IT CRAZY? MIGHT I HAVE SOME LUCK ON A LOCAL LAKE BEACH?

THANKS!

JOE
At some freshwater lakes there is still some black sand near the shoreline, but it is lots easier to detect because of lack of salt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions