Greenie
Jan 26, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I'm rather new to metal detecting; I bought my Garrett AT Pro about this time last year. I really enjoy detecting in the water at the all the fresh water lakes in Michigan. However, I'm planning a trip to FL this summer and I'm curious whether the AT Pro is suitable for salt water. I've read that the PI detectors are best for this. Does anyone have experience using an AT Pro in the ocean?

Upvote 0

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
The AT Pro is a great machine but it does not work well in salt water, at least not here on Cape Cod. Previous posters are correct, by the time you ground balance and reduce sensitivity it's detecting abilities are severely compromised. On the dry ocean sand it is very good, but move to the wet sand or the salt water and it can't handle it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro is a great machine but it does not work well in salt water, at least not here on Cape Cod. Previous posters are correct, by the time you ground balance and reduce sensitivity it's detecting abilities are severely compromised. On the dry ocean sand it is very good, but move to the wet sand or the salt water and it can't handle it.
There are beaches where it doesn't work well. Here in Florida the beaches are very mild and the AT pro works well in the salt wet sand and water. The original poster was coming to Florida.

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
lookindown, in your list of detectors you have a cz21 listed. from all I've read if I had a cz21 I would never pick up the at pro for a saltwater beach. Do you actually take the pro out on the beach anytime over your cz21???

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown, in your list of detectors you have a cz21 listed. from all I've read if I had a cz21 I would never pick up the at pro for a saltwater beach. Do you actually take the pro out on the beach anytime over your cz21???
Nope, the CZ21 is deeper and doesn't pick up some of the tiny targets that the AT hears that I don't want to hear. First day in the salt water with my CZ21 I found two gold rings and the AT became a freshwater machine. In freshwater I can run the AT on max sens and I find gold earrings and chains that the CZ cant pick up, even when rubbed on the coil. AT weighs half what the CZ weighs. I used my AT pro in the salt water for one whole summer before I got my CZ21 and made some nice gold finds. In tests at the beach my AT was only about 2 inches shallower in the wet sand than the CZ but that's enough difference to use the CZ in the salt.

Last edited:

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
I tried using my ATPro in the water two weeks ago at Wildwood, NJ. The first day wasn't too bad after ground balancing when in the water, but the second day it kept falsing for some reason. I think I am going to purchase an Infinium LS for the beaches.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Due to very high mineralization. That's why they manufacture PI units. GL.
I tried using my ATPro in the water two weeks ago at Wildwood, NJ. The first day wasn't too bad after ground balancing when in the water, but the second day it kept falsing for some reason. I think I am going to purchase an Infinium LS for the beaches.

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
Yes, I am aware of that. What I don't understand is why I didn't have falsing the first day. I didn't expect the AT Pro to perform good in the water since it was not really designed for that, but it is all that I had at the time.

OP
OP
T

tomnkari

Greenie
Jan 26, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Returned a couple days ago from my trip to FL. Went down for a weeklong conference in Orlando that started on Monday. I arrived late Saturday afternoon so I was only able to spend one day (Sunday) detecting on the beach at Lori Wilson Park at Cocoa Beach. It was so hot & humid (92 F) that the wife dragged me out after 2 hours. Anyway, after watching the Saltwater Tips at the Garrett website and reviewing everyone's posts here this is how it went down. I arrived at low tide, about 1:00 in the afternoon, and made directly for the surf. After auto ground balancing my AT Pro, I took it down manually to about 17 or 18. I was in Pro Zero mode with the iron discrimination up to about 35. I also took the sensitivity down a couple bars. At that point the chatter was bearable. The only thing I found in the water was a clad shield penny that rang out loud and clear above the chatter, right at what it normally would have on land (about 76). After an hour in the water, I moved to the beach for an hour, re-auto ground balanced for the sand and found and additional $1.12 in clad including a bicentennial quarter, a couple bottle caps and a fish hook. I want to thank everyone who posted a comment to this thread. I know the AT Pro isn't the best choice for salt water, but that's really not why I chose it. Most of my water hunting is in Lake Michigan or fresh water inland lakes in MI. I just wanted suggestions for using what I had in an environment I was unfamiliar with. You guys are great. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    593.6 KB · Views: 77

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro in the ocean, yep if that were me that's where it would have ended up.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro in the ocean, yep if that were me that's where it would have ended up.
Yeah, you wouldn't have figured out how to set it up...they are pretty complicated.

goldluvr

Jul 29, 2014
I have an at pro use it in the ocean often here in miami I just ground balance it back down on the sensitivity 1 or 2 and it works flawlessly.

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just my two cents worth ...I was at a sc beach a few weeks ago with my AT pro.I used the nel attack coil and found quarters and bottle caps over six inches deep....i had to manually turn gb down to 9 to 11 but ran sense all the way up with minimal chatter

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My at pro HATED the beach , that's why I got my SH 2

SAME HERE! My AT Pro kept falsing at the Croatian Coast last year, so I bought a SH MK 2 and had great success this year in the sea!

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT Pro and I've used it at the beach and in the ocean. The key is GB, SENS, and where you are. When I hit the dry sand, GB 80-95, as the sand gets wetter, the. GB continually drops to 9-13 when the coil submerged. Only then do I lower the SENS to cut the chatter. And don't scrub the bottom, it falses with every touch. If you can deal with all that, you can succeed. I found 2 boobie pins around 8-9 inches, as 2 separate targets in 2 locations. If it can see those, it can see more valuable items. I hunted in south NJ, so my beach mineralization may be very different from yours.

All that being said... My AT Pro hasn't seen the beach since I got my Sov XS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread