beasy324

Oct 12, 2013
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
With Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang out of the blue my thread blows up. Ha!

Yeah I'm aware I can't disturb the seagrass being a fisherman of this area I like to keep the nursery grass growing thick!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately the laws don't differentiate between areas of grass and areas without.
Yeah it took off a little more after my post quoting what was said..." if I lived in Vero that river would have already been worked"...

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a lawyer, but my understanding of the law is that it is actually just as illegal to dig a hole on the beach below the hide tide line as it is to dig a hole below the high tide line in an estuary. The are both State Sovereign Submerged lands.

I made a post over in the shipwreck forum laying out the position of the Florida Department of State on this matter: their position is that it is illegal not only to dig, but even to detect below the high tide line anywhere in the state.

The caveat is in selective enforcement.

Personally, were I in the Indian River area, I would take a very close look at the area of the lagoon just behind Bonsteel Park. The beach is very thin there...it would not take much of a storm surge to wash something quite sizeable over the top of the dunes and into the estuary.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/s...nag-almost-directly-behind-bonsteel-park.html

Last edited:

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I heard of a women who stumbled over a gold bar a foot deep in the mud while looking for clams south of the inlet. Sounds like a ugly place where no one is likely to go with a detector. If your choice is nice beach or stuck knee deep in the mud ( mosquito-fest ) which would you pick? If I were to hit the IR I would consider going with a partner.

Good Hunting.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you followed the law to the letter and were in the right, you could end up in serious trouble.
There are no safeguards to protect you or anyone against overzealous authorities confisicating your equipment and you will be very lucky to get your equipment back, if ever, after it has been siezed. Sadly, this is the reality of the country we live in, and it is not limited to metal detecting, it has to do with everything we do.

As long as it is controversial and not an obvious violation of the law, you have a chance of just getting a warning not to detect there.
With that in mind, if I detected the Indian River Lagoon, I would do so only with equipment that I could afford to loose and
would have someone drop me off and pick me up, unless I had a junk car which I wanted to get rid off anyway, as it could be confiscated. I would do my best to minimize distutbing the bottom and definitely protect the sea grass out of respect for the environment.

Last edited:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Even if you followed the law to the letter and were in the right, you could end up in serious trouble. There are no safeguards to protect you or anyone against overzealous authorities confisicating your equipment and you will be very lucky to get your equipment back, if ever, after it has been siezed. Sadly, this is the reality of the country we live in, and it is not limited to metal detecting, it has to do with everything we do. As long as it is controversial and not an obvious violation of the law, you have a chance of just getting a warning not to detect there. With that in mind, if I detected the Indian River Lagoon, I would do so only with equipment that I could afford to loose and would have someone drop me off and pick me up, unless I had a junk car which I wanted to get rid off anyway, as it could be confiscated. I would do my best to minimize distutbing the bottom and definitely protect the sea grass out of respect for the environment.

Yeah I heard about vehicle confiscation when used in "what they consider a crime" especially environmental. That would be a crappy day for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt a lot of backwater areas. Sometimes the most productive areas are very shallow.

Though these shallow areas can often be worked by just wading, I almost always prefer snorkeling. I can detect in water as shallow as a foot while crawling around on my belly. I don't have to worry about sinking into the mud. Zero visibility is no problem. I don't attract much attention. I don't need a sand scoop. My metal detector looks like a Pony Bottle I strap to my waist. I can run the wire for my bonephone beneath my wetsuit or shirt so that I am not wearing headphones. I generally only use a very short (12 inch) rod on my coil. Underwater detecting is not illegal in my area, I just prefer being low key and not attracting attention.

Though I believe the tidal swing is only around 3 feet or so in the area around Sebastian Inlet, that still offers quite a bit of ground that could be potentially worked by an intrepid shallow water hunter using only snorking gear. It would have to be a very tough cop indeed to arrest someone who only has his hands as target recovery equipment (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). You might be shocked at what can erode out of banks as well as items that can be deposited in very shallow water by other means.

A good detector, a cheap kayak and some inexpensive snorkeling gear just might open up some virgin ground in that area.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I heard about vehicle confiscation when used in "what they consider a crime" especially environmental. That would be a crappy day for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

You got it!

Allowing any agency, such as the police to keep what they confiscate, or any enforcing agency for “What they consider a crime” is the start of a journey down the dark side from which there is no return.

It is only a matter of time till they claim that you have done something illegal or plant evidence so they can take what is yours and it is doubtful you will ever get it back.

Look around you and you will see all those neat cars, boats, homes that they have confiscated which they have kept. This is in addition, to finds by treasure hunters, who were turned into criminals as the government took away what they had found.
Some don’t even bother with that, they just bust in and take what they want on a suspicion, and once taken, you will never get it back.

I know this can happen as a fact as it happened to me.
My home office was broken into, and office equipment stolen, on the possibility, I repeat possibility that someone may of snuck in my office and used my equipment to commit a computer crime. I purposely use the word broken into verses raid, and stolen verses confiscation as it happened while I was out grocery shopping. They would not provide a copy of the warrant, nor an inventory of equipment taken, in spite of numerous requests.

America may be the land of the brave, but at least in my sorry sorry case, it is no longer the land of the free.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions