Run in with the law

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Went to ft Zachary Taylor state park this morning as I have done for many years to detect. Awesome first half hour with honker silver ring and about 6 bucks in quarters and dimes----
Then..... A very young FWC officer ( never seen FWC at the beach before) walks up to me,as I'm the only soul on the beach so far, and tells me I can't detect here! I told him the names of the three rangers and park manager whom have told me good luck every other time I've been there have told me it's allowed from the tide line to the vegetation line-- incorrect sir he says, you can only do that from the waterline shoreward three feet!! I said, I'm sorry sir but perhaps you are mistaken or perhaps you can show me the law where it says that so that I can be in compliance from now on? He proceeds to tell me that I can only detect that three foot strip from the water inland but doesn't have anything in writing to give me so I ask for his supervisor or to get the ranger to make sure what exactly the law is , as I'm sure he does not know and is completely wrong! Supervisor gets on radio and tells him exactly what I said, that from high tide to foliage line is permissible! He turns to me and says ," they must have changed the law recently sir because you are correct" well duh!! But after being told by his boss that I was right he says but I have some bad news as well...... It's turtle season now so no digging at all until nov 1st!! WTF?? I asked him if he was going to hang out all day and snatch the plastic pails and shovels outta all the tourist kids hand till nov and he said if I see them I will!! Unbelievable man!! I'm the only one on the beach, it's 830 am, and this guy will just not be satisfied until he has taken a big stinky on my awesome morning!! I told him i thought that was bullshit but that I will comply for today until I can research further as they find nests and barricade them to prevent such destruction- now this kid is getting pissy and asks me to provide him with my id-- well now I'm done being polite! No sir you may not-- sir I need to see your id now! No sir you don't have reason to get my id without suspicion of a crime. Am I a suspect? No response.... Am I being detained?..... No sir he says ... So I turned and split cursing that sob under my breath!! What a complete ass in a uniform!! I've been stopped by plenty of cops and I must say that today I think I met the single biggest ignoramus I've ever met and when an idiot is negligent of the law and has a badge, bad things will happen!! Anyway sorry but just thought I'd vent a little!! So in closing guys I'm wondering if anyone has any idea if he is full if it about this turtle bs with no digging the entire summer on the beach???? I just cannot see it!! I asked a ranger on my way out and they said that's the first they ever heard of it and that if that was the case the beach would be pretty empty this summer!! Curious and pissed in key west lol!!

Attachments

• image-1862514045.jpg
    image-1862514045.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image-3877350526.jpg
    image-3877350526.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 175
  • image-3265799276.jpg
    image-3265799276.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Young Rangers are full or the power trip and have to feel the need for control. You did right and had more restraint than I would have.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The local state run park here in fort pierce also doesn't allow access to beach detecting during nesting season, which is whatever IMO plenty of other places, it's a pay beach so every time I get my turn in line I always ask if it is permissible even though I know it is, unless like you had an unfavorable experience, may depend on rangers mood as well. Being a young lad with not as vast as experience as some of the other rangers may have played a role as well. I went last year the day nesting season ended maybe a dollar in clad and garbage. It's my opinion where I am at that potentially since you can access "pay beach" by just walking from the public beach 1/2 mile down. So maybe people swing it unknowingly or secretively. Personally I opt to just go to another stretch of the multitude of miles of beaches to drop pull tabs for Sponge:p

powered by pull tabs

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want to do yourself and everybody else a favor? Sit down and write a strongly worded letter to the Supervisor asking him/her to have a chat with the Young Ranger, and that you'd like confirmation of that conversation, or if she or he would rather not perform that function, they can let you know so you can direct your letter to their boss, etc, etc. Frame it as a "learning opportunity" and it might actually enact change. Ignorance and power are horrible combinations, thanks for sharing your experience and best to you.

OP
OP
wetfly

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
It was a Florida fish wildlife officer not even a park ranger

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barney Fife?

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell the turtles dig bigger holes than we do, and so do all the kids - who dont fill the damn thing back in. The turtles do.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt that turtle law is on the books...likely something an individual came up with...I would check into it because you cant hunt now no matter what...might as well find out if its true.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It was a Florida fish wildlife officer not even a park ranger

I have news for you - FWC are the highest ranking law enforcement officers in the state. They take precedence over all other state and local agencies.

All the ones that I see on a regular basis are good guys, and I know them by name. Evidently you came across one after somebody pizzed in his cheerios that morning.

I don't know what the turtle season rules are in state parks, but here on the east coast beaches they just want you to stay off the dunes.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I can see the tracks and the nest. They are pretty good marking the nests. I stay clear of all nest and share the landscape.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe get a letter from the department or copy of the laws, then if you run across a guy like this have a few pieces of paper or one master list to show him you are in the right. If you try to humiliate him to his peers, I fear he will just be more of a nuisance to you in the future.

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
I had a similar experience with "Ranger Rick". It was early Oct and I went to this beach in the middle of nowhere that was closed for the season for a month. I parked off the road way, let my dog out and walked a hundred yards to the beach. I didn't go 100 ft and Ranger Rick came out of nowhere and started into me. He was going to charge me with trespassing, desecrating sacred grounds, parking in an illegal place and having my dog off a leash. A young guy with a tin star who thought he was the Lone Ranger. The only thing that saved me was he thought he told me the year before he had give me a warning. I had never been there before. I guess we all look alike. That saved me. I honestly thought he was going to hand cuff me and put me in the back of his jeep. I believe the older guys would have told me I couldn't detect there.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
The local state run park here in fort pierce also doesn't allow access to beach detecting during nesting season, which is whatever IMO plenty of other places, it's a pay beach so every time I get my turn in line I always ask if it is permissible even though I know it is, unless like you had an unfavorable experience, may depend on rangers mood as well. Being a young lad with not as vast as experience as some of the other rangers may have played a role as well. I went last year the day nesting season ended maybe a dollar in clad and garbage. It's my opinion where I am at that potentially since you can access "pay beach" by just walking from the public beach 1/2 mile down. So maybe people swing it unknowingly or secretively. Personally I opt to just go to another stretch of the multitude of miles of beaches to drop pull tabs for Sponge:p