Need some quick intel on a Sea Hunter?

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If you're hunting fresh water get a different machine. You will pick up every piece of tiny crap, making you dig like a mad man. Although in deeper fresh water you have less targets and it will be more pleasant to use. It doesn't discriminate much and is basically a dig everything machine. Salt water is a different story. Small pieces of scrap metal will disintegrate faster in salt than fresh water, so less junk in salt water than fresh water. It goes deep and you will dig lots of junk but you will be rewarded with those deep goodies that other VLF detectors skim right over without a whisper. Over all a solid machine. If you don't want to miss anything, then get the Sea Hunter.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's the good and bad and give and take with this machine?

Read my threads - Some GREAT finds with my SH2 - but only if you don't need to worry about trash signals!
If trash is around, try for a different machine, I am looking at the fisher cz 21

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you thinking of going pi???? i have a sandshark with switchcable coils(i badly need the 10.5 or 3x18 if anyones selling) a quick google search tells me the sandshark is equal to or better than the seahunter!! https://www.google.com/search?q=gar...5.13582j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

i also have the original tdi with 12 inch coil, incredible machine which allows the gb to be turned off giving superior depth over all others!!!!!!

not enough time on either machine to be much help but i will let you come down here and use both to decide if you want to go the pi route!!!! i am really getting into the pi's lately!!!

chuck.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you thinking of going pi???? i have a sandshark with switchcable coils(i badly need the 10.5 or 3x18 if anyones selling) a quick google search tells me the sandshark is equal to or better than the seahunter!!

chuck.

Given that it's so sanded in I thought it might make for a good summer to play around a bit. Let me know if you're interested in selling the SS or TDI.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Scoop the Sand Shark is what I use. I freakin love it. Easy to pinpoint with. Crank all settings and go.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scoop the Sand Shark is what I use. I freakin love it. Easy to pinpoint with. Crank all settings and go.

"Realistically".....what is the general max depth on say, an average size gold band? Say something in the 4-5 gram range? Or even clad?

Last edited:

kladdhunden

Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading alot on PI's as i have been using a V-flex and i dig all signals anyway so i thought why not go PI.
Just like u i looked into SS or Seahunter mark ii.
Please someone correct me if im wrong.
If i understand correct the Depth from SS and Seahunter mark ii is about the same.

The Pros with Sandshark is its light,has the volume control,lifetime warranty?
The Pros with Seahunter mark ii is the changeable coils/headphones and the circuit board is protected from the battery compartment if u have a leak.Original headphones are fine,waterproof but lacks volume control.

The cons with Sandshark=everythings hardwired if thats a problem for u and battery compartment/circuit boards are in the same place and a leak will fry it all.
The cons with Seahunter=Very heavy and needs to chest/belt mount it for longer hunts,no external volume control but u can buy a adapter for the headphone jacket and use any headphones if u are on land/wading for example(The adapter is not water proof and dont think they have a waterproof one) was that a con or a pro? the Discrimination knob is a joke and they could have skipped it.

Last edited:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Pros with Seahunter mark ii is the changeable coils/headphones and the circuit board is protected from the battery compartment if u have a leak.

The cons with Seahunter=Very heavy and needs to chest/belt mount it for longer hunts,no external volume control but u can buy a adapter for the headphone jacket and use any headphones if u are on land/wading for example(not water proof and dont think they have a waterproof one) was that a con or a pro? the Discrimination knob is a joke and they could have skipped it.

I only have used the SH2 so will reply IMO;

True about changeable coils (I have two) and also like the various configurations (short or long shafts) so easy to use for scuba / snorkel or on land.
I changed my 'stock' headphones which ARE waterproof (which were fine btw) for GHOST AMPHIBIANS which are superb AND have a volume control!
separate battery compartment is good

Not heavy (IMO) and never even considered a chest harness? but it does come with a belt holster to hip mount the control box when land or scuba hunting

agree about the DISCRIM - should have left it off - run mine fully open and dig everything (that's why I got a PI)

overall, solidly built - I like the metal control box which I don't have to worry about bumping and scratching - and its quite beat up now!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Ive heard Treasurehunter say he gets comparable depth to the PI units with the large coils on his Excal...I would send him a PM.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Ive heard Treasurehunter say he gets comparable depth to the PI units with the large coils on his Excal...I would send him a PM.

This is true to a point and I swing pretty much the same setup as TH but I have a deeper water situation I'm wanting to play with where coil stability/control is going to be an issue. The large coil is fine as long as you can keep good control over it but once it starts seeing the effects of uneven bottoms and turbulence it's pretty much end game for the Excal and large coil setup. Not to mention the increased drag the large coil generates in currents, even with a harness.

Last edited:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Realistically".....what is the general max depth on say, an average size gold band? Say something in the 4-5 gram range? Or even clad?

No problem hitting 10+ inches with my 10.5" shark coils.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is true to a point and I swing pretty much the same setup as TH but I have a deeper water situation I'm wanting to play with where coil stability/control is going to be an issue. The large coil is fine as long as you can keep good control over it but once it starts seeing the effects of uneven bottoms and turbulence it's pretty much end game for the Excal and large coil setup. Not to mention the increased drag the large coil generates in currents, even with a harness.
I get ya.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread