Taking the time to share & inspire

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People have often asked me or questioned why I write so much? So here's something I want to share with all of you that I just explained in a PM a bit a go.

The other day I had two very polite small kids, ages 6 & 8, completely mesmerized by my metal detecting activities, their eyes as large as quarters. Soon they were taking turns swinging my machine and recovering a few coins, their excitement was obvious.

Yesterday I sat on the beach, in old man story-teller fashion, with their parents present, and I told these same two very interested kids the amazing tale of the Spanish treasure fleets and the tragedies they suffered at sea. As I told my story I swear there were times when they both stopped breathing.

When I was done telling my story I handed each of them an authentic 1744 one reale coin and I made them promise never to lose them. These are now two kids who have been positively impacted during their family summer vacation. But the story doesn’t stop here.

As I was telling my yarn, and once those coins came into view, there was suddenly several other “condo owners” gathered round who now had a positive outlook on our hobby and the people who pursue that hobby. So today I'm going back to give those same two kids a few shark teeth that someone else passed onto me and I can think of no better place for them and no better time for them to trade hands.

So what I'm saying to you is this......what we do while we are on the beach is extremely important to our hobby, far more important then what we find. I can always go hunting but it is far too seldom that we take the opportunity to shed a positive light on a hobby and the people who pursue it that so many view in question. So take the time to share and to inspire. There will always be another day or hour for hunting. What we do while we are on the beach is far more important to the life of our hobby then what we find. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many times Ive been wading through a crowd of people at the beach and had one of them ask me a question. After standing there talking and laughing with them about the hobby, I notice that people near by are listening and smiling. The same people that were looking at me like I was an alien a couple of minutes ago. I walk away from that crowd being looked at with a different attitude from those people. Amazing how quickly some ones attitude can change when they understand something a little better.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The same people that were looking at me like I was an alien a couple of minutes ago. I walk away from that crowd being looked at with a different attitude from those people.

Good story bigscoop:icon_thumleft:

Thats called judging a book by its cover,which people have a habit of doing.Do something,be interested in something,out of the ordinary then there must be something wrong with you.It happens in a lot of ways.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Believe it or not I have been scolded for fishing. Lady was yelling at me saying why do you have to hurt the fish. I said because im hungry. Some people are just set in their ways. I respect that, at the same time respect me.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think people just need to be introduced "to the real people" who pursue the hobby. "Especially now." :thumbsup:

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I really like your post. It is always nice in inspire others. Great job! and thanks for sharing this.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I love kids. But I don't like adult people.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love kids. But I don't like adult people.

I've found that most adults become just as interested as the kids, some even more so. I can honestly say that I have "very few" bad or unpleasant experiences with the adults once they realize that the guy under those headphones is actually pretty darn friendly/sociable. :thumbsup:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will talk to people about the hobby if they approach me and ask. I have also talked to a couple that were just bing smart asses, but I was polite and didn't swat them with my scoop! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread