I am so "Jonesin"

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shawn, I think what we're doing now is going to become a growing trend/necessity simply because of the changing healthcare environment. Without getting into all of the changes I've seen in just the seven years I've been doing this I can tell you that senior care is slowly being shifted more and more to in home care with family involvement. Cost are being cut and cut and services are being rewritten to provide less and less. It's a shame really, actually a crime in my eyes since many of these people were guaranteed these services when they retired. If I've learned anything from all of this it's that life for seniors is being made harder and harder at nearly every turn. It's hard to blame them for growing so bitter.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true , and the lucky ones have younger family to care for them ! I lost my mom suddenly 3 yrs ago August , that sucked horribly! But would've been far worse to watch her linger and suffer in hospital or elsewhere!

OP
OP
Lady Pirate

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"This too shall run it's course." That's what I said seven years ago. Truth is, it's only going to get worse and require more time if you let that happen, as I did. Doing the "right thing" becomes a two-way street eventually but once people have become dependent on you that two-way street becomes harder and harder to access. Every time you do get a chance to take a break the phone will ring, which pretty much invades your break over and over again until there was no break at all. "Don't wait" for an opportune time because they will seldom come, if ever. Schedule things in advance and let everyone know that you'll be, "out of reach except in the case of extreme emergency." If you allow it you'll just keep getting sucked in deeper and deeper simply because, "you're the only recognized caregiver." As things progress doctors, hospice, visiting aids, pharmacies, you name it, they'll all be needing to talk to you all the time. So here's some food for thought:

1) Adult day cares. I started using one. They can be found for as little as $5 to $10 per hour and many of them will even offer 24/7 extended stays. "Use them!"
2) Family - sometimes you just have to draw the line in the sand. "Today is your day. Period!" If you don't do this they will always have reasons why they can't. Don't be afraid to upset this boat if you must.
3) And last, your mother's family doctor can really turn you onto some good options as far as getting help and they can even hook you up with people who will help you find those adult day care facilities. This same doctor can also order home health aids, etc., that are paid for through medicare and medicaid. "Take all the help you can get!" Did I mention that my father has Alzheimer and compared to mother he's the easy one. So I have two at age 87.

And on a closing note, my mother has grown so nasty, hostile, and hard headed she fell and hit her head on the concrete the other day. When the ambulance arrived they took the concrete to the hospital. :laughing7: If it wasn't for humor I'd be insane by now. :thumbsup:

Trust me, if you let it happen the 24/7 caregiver thing can "and will" take over your entire life if you allow it to. Don't allow it to happen! It can actually start to wear on your own physical and mental health if you do. I finally had to put my foot down, draw that line in the sand. "I either get some time away or I'm out of here. Period!"

What burns me up is when my husband comes home from the oil well, he does not help one iota. He don't make her coffee, get her water, make a meal for her....nothing to give me a break and it's his mom!!! Man saying that I would "help" was received as "I will dedicate myself 100%" to them. There are no relatives in this state to help, her daughter lives in Alabama and has not mentioned coming here to give me a break so I can away. And at the mention of a daycare person coming here for the day puts her in a tizzy and she has sh#t fits. Like I said, she is a royal pain in the a## and don't mind being it. She knows everything and tries to control everything and everyone. She does not have Alzheimer's. She just has always been negative and rude. No matter who's feelings she hurts. Period. To tell you the truth, there are times that I could run up and down her with my mouth to set her in her place....but I don't out of respect and to keep the peace. I am going to ask the doctor for some xanax. Like what you say about humor, I'd be insane also. And sometimes by the time the evening comes around I look forward to those mixed drinks!:laughing7::occasion14::laughing7: I find myself retreating upstairs to my bedroom with my 2 beagalies and drink in hand to get away from her.:laughing7::notworthy: I glad that she goes into her bedroom after Jeopardy most of the time! Plus on Monday and Friday nights I go up there to watch Monday Night Raw and Friday Night Smackdown....my escapes. :notworthy: And like I always keep in mind "And this too shall pass". My poor mother died at 54 years of age back in 1988 from the flu. She was a pistol----a jokester, never said bad things about people, help everyone. Guess that's where I get it!!! Amen:notworthy: From one loving happy mother to a miserable negative mother-in-law. But "Thank you bigscoop for all the advice to help. Bless you too in your situation :notworthy:

OP
OP
Lady Pirate

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all

for your input and trying to perk me up! I do appreciate it. I guess I am unloading to youz' guyz' because I don't want to complain to my 3 sons and have them worry about their mom. Thank all of you for caring enough to write in. Happy and fruitful hunting to you all. Cheers:occasion14:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What is often overlooked when a relative in the home is dependent on an individual is who cares for the caregiver(s)?
Scoop you have a very important and valid point in preserving your own well being through balance.
A sister works in a care facility and its hard when families expect others to care as they desire despite the lack of involvement on their own part.
The hardest is those alone in a facility un visited and alone from any relative when they pass.
As our culture cares more for elderly especcially in the home though behind many others, the importance of balance though no stranger to multiple posters here...still needs to be addressed to not conflict with caregivers well being.

OP
OP
Lady Pirate

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is often overlooked when a relative in the home is dependent on an individual is who cares for the caregiver(s)?
Scoop you have a very important and valid point in preserving your own well being through balance.
A sister works in a care facility and its hard when families expect others to care as they desire despite the lack of involvement on their own part.
The hardest is those alone in a facility un visited and alone from any relative when they pass.
As our culture cares more for elderly especcially in the home though behind many others, the importance of balance though no stranger to multiple posters here...still needs to be addressed to not conflict with caregivers well being.

A caregiver burns out quickly.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do t know you Lady Pirate but I'm glad that you can vent here,sometimes that's all you need,is to just be able to vent without fear of repercussion. I'm sorry your husband doesn't help out more,that just sucks,you need his support more than anything right now as caregiver for your MIL. Negative people are draining,no matter how old she is and even if she is in bad health,it's not fair to you to be treated that way. Hope you get that beach trip soon,hang in there.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hVent really communicated with you Lady Pirate but I'm glad that you can vent here,sometimes that's all you need,is to just be able to vent without fear of repercussion. I'm sorry your husband doesn't help out more,that just sucks,you need his support more than anything right now as caregiver for your MIL. Negative people are draining,no matter how old she is and even if she is in bad health,it's not fair to you to be treated that way. Hope you get that beach trip soon,hang in there.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What burns me up is when my husband comes home from the oil well, he does not help one iota. He don't make her coffee, get her water, make a meal for her....nothing to give me a break and it's his mom!!! Man saying that I would "help" was received as "I will dedicate myself 100%" to them. There are no relatives in this state to help, her daughter lives in Alabama and has not mentioned coming here to give me a break so I can away. And at the mention of a daycare person coming here for the day puts her in a tizzy and she has sh#t fits. Like I said, she is a royal pain in the a## and don't mind being it. She knows everything and tries to control everything and everyone. She does not have Alzheimer's. She just has always been negative and rude. No matter who's feelings she hurts. Period. To tell you the truth, there are times that I could run up and down her with my mouth to set her in her place....but I don't out of respect and to keep the peace. I am going to ask the doctor for some xanax. Like what you say about humor, I'd be insane also. And sometimes by the time the evening comes around I look forward to those mixed drinks!:laughing7::occasion14::laughing7: I find myself retreating upstairs to my bedroom with my 2 beagalies and drink in hand to get away from her.:laughing7::notworthy: I glad that she goes into her bedroom after Jeopardy most of the time! Plus on Monday and Friday nights I go up there to watch Monday Night Raw and Friday Night Smackdown....my escapes. :notworthy: And like I always keep in mind "And this too shall pass". My poor mother died at 54 years of age back in 1988 from the flu. She was a pistol----a jokester, never said bad things about people, help everyone. Guess that's where I get it!!! Amen:notworthy: From one loving happy mother to a miserable negative mother-in-law. But "Thank you bigscoop for all the advice to help. Bless you too in your situation :notworthy:

LP, I hope your life gets better soon. For what its worth, here's my .02. Your MIL doesn't really have much to say about who looks after her, other than b1tching and moaning (which she seems to do a lot anyway). So my advice to you is pay a care giver to come in for a couple weeks while you take a much needed vacation. If MIL doesn't like the care giver, she will appreciate you more when you get back and maybe even treat you better.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more you do the more the other part of the system becomes to rely on you. Nothing wrong with this to a point and in many facets it needs to be this way. However, it can consume the caregiver without that balance releventchair spoke of. And the worst factor, it can sneak up you over you time so you really need to establish some parameters in the early going while everyone is still somewhat attached to the situation.

OP
OP
Lady Pirate

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom used to tell me that I had the patience of a Saint. Guess she is right, and sometimes I can feel her beside me. Strength indeed so. My husband did sign me up to go down to Loveland, Colorado for a riding class at Thunder Mountain Harley. I will be gone Friday from 3 to 11 pm, Sat.- 6 am to about 6 pm and Sun., 7:30 am to about 8 pm. I could NOT believe it! He said I am going no matter what! I have made all the meals, so all she needs to do is warm then up. I will have a cooler full of drinks right next to her. All she will need to do is let the dogs out a few times. And she actually got upset and snoted off when hubby made my reservation for the class and said "Well nobody asked me if I will watch the dogs....and I am not going to do it"! Jon told her she didn't have to, they can use the bathroom in the house.....she quickly changed her mind!!! LOL Guess the smell would get her! But I am already worried that on my first night, when I come home she will be complaining galore. Jon said just ingore her.....that's easier said than done. Well one thing that has me happy inside....Jon said the day I get my motorcycle license, is the day he will buy me my own bike! So I have wanted a Road King since forever.....but the Heritage Softail is nice also. Mother in law say's that a woman don't need a motorcycle and she don't like the one one Jon has now! What was really hysterical, is that about 3 weeks ago when Jon was home, she was saying that people who have tattoo's are nuts and have a screw loose in their heads. I told her it was "Art" and their own choice. She was pissin' and moaning, so I said really mom???? Do you really think these people are nuts??? And I lifted the back of my shirt and revealed my tattoo that I have hid from her since I've known her (2000) She shut up fast and Jon laughed his as# of. He said he was glad that I stood up for myself! She don't know that I am getting my own bike, she suspects it, and of course she tells Jon how to spend his money and that we should invest every penny. So when I get my bike, she really is going to blow a fuse thinking that I am really a "Bad-Bad Woman".... Tattooed and a Harley.....one good shock.....LOL- Take care my fellow detectorists.....Life is GOOD

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh my. Don,t do it,don,t get a bunch of temporary tattoo's for special occasions.:laughing7:
Sounds like the ol man has it figured out, or understood something. A new hawg now that's gonna be sweet.
Since your sporting a tat and all...
:headbang: Travel safe L.P..

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Maybe you should put MIL on the back of your bike and take her to get a tattoo.

OP
OP
Lady Pirate

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the shock when I pull up with "my baby girl" and walk in with my leather chaps, jacket and headband on with helmet in hand will drop her jaw. LOL Oh my, such a rebel I am :notworthy::headbang::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread