Do you know how to ESCAPE A RIP CURRENT???

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After responding to NJcigarman's post this morning I thought that it might be wise to bring this to the forefront so that everyone at least sees the title. So many people die each year because they simply don't realize that swimming parallel to the beach will get you out of a rip current. Too many people also don't respect the shear power that a breaking wave has and as a result could be knocked down and dragged out to sea. On an almost daily basis we see forum members who are new to water hunting and may also be new to the beach. I have seen people get smoked by 2 foot waves that were breaking on the beach because they have no clue what they are doing in/at the ocean on their annual vacation. Typically those same tourists are the ones that get caught in rip currents.

Here is the link I posted earlier. If you and or your loved ones don't know how to escape a rip current please take a few minutes to check it out. Your life could depend on it!!

Surviving a Rip Current

and a video

habs

Upvote 0

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is a shame as of Monday night his body is still missing. Couldn't even think about going in the water to detect it is so rough.
Red Flags everywhere.

Last edited:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have also seen guys detecting with weight belts so they don't get tossed around so much - good idea BUT.... they should all have the QUICK RELAEASE buckles as used for scuba, and not be some home made device!

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a shame as of Monday night his body is still missing. Couldn't even think about going in the water to detect it is so rough.
Red Flags everywhere.
If only people knew that swimming/playing in the ocean is not even remotely close to swimming/playing in a pool. So sad.

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also seen guys detecting with weight belts so they don't get tossed around so much - good idea BUT.... they should all have the QUICK RELAEASE buckles as used for scuba, and not be some home made device!

And hope that they don't panic prior to using the quick release!!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rip-sign4-27-sm.gif

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As a surfer, I use rips to get out to the waves. I have rescued close to 100 people in my years surfing in rips (including rescuing lifeguards). the best advice I give people - if you get caught in a rip, swim towards the breaking waves and let them take you into shore (essentially ride them in). Its usually easier to swim towards the waves at 45 degrees, rather than parallel, especially if its a strong rip because then you are swimming with the rip and also getting out of it. Also, before heading into the water, look for the rips so you know where not to go. I always look at the ocean before entering, especially when I am at a spot that I am not familiar with. If you do not swim regularly, you probably are endangering yourself and others by even going in the ocean. Before I give a surf lesson (I know we are talking MD here) I always make sure that person can swim at least 800 yards in a pool with ease.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The water is almost always dirtier in the rips and visually more turbid.
For folks who don't know what to look for.

D-TEX

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those who detect when it's not flat I always recommend they wear a CO2 type PFD. They are light weight and not bulky. there are several different makes, the one I have is by SOS.

Don't think you need one ? reach up behind the back of your ear, if you find gills there then I will agree with you. The only thing that is of help to swimmers is education before they get in the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread