"It takes a lot of time."

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortly after I got my Excal ( a few years back) I ran into an old guy on the beach using the same machine and I asked him if he'd had any luck? This old guy looked and acted like the professor in that movie Back to the Future. Anyway he eventually relies, “Well, earlier this week I was snooping around a herd of billy goats and I got a duck and a goose.” With that said they old guy just turned around and he went on his way. I'm thinking he's a nutcase for sure.

About a month later I run into this same old guy again and I tell him that I had no idea what he meant when he spoke to me in code during our last short conversation. His reply, “Takes a lot of time. One day you will.” And with that said he turned around and he went on his way. I didn't see that old guy again until today.

Today I walked up to this guy and I said, “You were hunting around a bunch of iron and you got a thin gold ring and a fat white gold band.” Old guy smiles at me, offers me the wink of his eye as he says, “There you go!” With that said the old guy turned around and, "poof", just like that he was gone from view. Wonder if I'll ever see that old guy again? I got a lot of questions I want to ask him. :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting and attention grabbing story. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you can write. Good stuff. Now delete this post so everyone else does get it. Lol

I enjoy writing little spoofs like this one, which reminds me of another old man I met on the beach:

Everyday, for nearly two years, I saw the same old guy on the beach swing his detector. However, what was really strange about this was that I never once saw him dig a target. Never! So one day the curiosity was killing me and I just had to walk over to him to make some inquiries.

“Excuse me, Sir, but I just have to ask. Do you ever find anything with that detector?”

“No,” he replied, “it's not even turned on.”

OK, now I'm really curious. “Not turned on? Why? I don't get it?”

Old man slips off his headphones, looks at me, “It's not turned on because there isn't any batteries in it.”

I scratch my head, my confusion certainly obvious to him by now. “Then why swing it on the beach at all?” I ask him with a puzzled look on my face.

The old man laughed under his breath. “Because if I don't bring this detector down to the beach with me and swing it she'll know I'm just cruising the beach to look at all the babes.”

I was stunned, but I could also see that he was serious. “So, after all this time she's never grown suspicious? I mean, everyday and always returning home with nothing to show for it?”

“Well,” the old man replied, “that's the best part. At the end of every hunt when I return home she even gets to tell me, I told you that thing was a waste of money.” Old man was suddenly grinning from ear to ear, “Best damn money I ever spent!”

D-TEX

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, new to this forum but not to detecting, been at it for over thirty years. Good story there Bigscoop, keep them coming.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking this guy may carry a proverbial "BigScoop" !!!! Lol. You should have been a writer Scoop! Good luck in the mushiness this holiday weekend! I guess one day we will all "figure it out".

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This man did not poof but said something that did not seem to fit. Morel mushroom season I had to tease a regular hunting area ol gal once about her trespassing,(she was not). We would cross trails a time or two most years. Herself, daughter,sister and husband. The daughter near my age would stop and chat. The sister despite having already covered nearly a quarter mile to reach where I hunted would giggle each time she found a mushroom. The ol gal when being teased lectured me how many decades they had hunted there and when I had gently got her riled up enough she drew her husband over to address me. He says,"how about a pork chop?" to her/us? and turned and walked away. She harrumphed and headed back to hunting. Was that a code of their's I still don,t know but have not seen them in years. Now the site has been logged and if we cross paths again its not going to be alive in our old haunt to ask what a porkchop meant.:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob & Stella

Bob and Stella had been frugal all their lives, the very reason they could offered that beachfront condo during their golden years. For forty-seven years they had saved every dime, “a penny saved is a penny earned” being Bob's lifetime mantra. They had moved into their condo two years ago, Bob now spending nearly everyday sitting on the balcony overlooking the beach. In the worst way he wanted a metal detector but Stella had never approved and so all he could was watch others digging for treasures on the beach.

And then came Bob's birthday and the miraculous gift of a top of line metal detector designed for the beach. Needless to say Bob was elated and at low tide on that very next morning he rushed to the beach to give it a try. Call it beginner's luck but Bob's very first piece of treasure, not more then twenty paces out onto the beach, was a beautiful platinum wedding ring with a stunning large diamond. Bob was beside himself, the thrill of that moment coursed through his blood with the speed of lightening. And then just like that it was suddenly gone.

Stella. As Bob stood on the beach looking at the ring in his hand he began to feel guilty, in forty-seven years he had never bought Stella a diamond ring, something she had well deserved. As his feeling of guilt continued to mount he came up with a plan to help justify the means and so he rushed back inside now fueled with by a different passion. When Bob entered the condo he approached Stella and he held out the diamond ring, “Here my love, I just found this on the beach and I want you to have it. If it doesn’t fit we will have it re-sized.” Luckily the ring fit perfectly and Bob was once again elated when he saw his Stella smile. But the story doesn’t stop here.

The next morning, not more then ten feet from where Bob had found the diamond ring the day before, he found a second diamond ring, this one being an 18k white gold diamond ring with a brace of beautiful glistening stones. Needless to say Bob rushed back to the condo and once again he gave it to Stella, and once again it fit her perfectly. For the next three weeks Bob started bringing Stella all sorts of jewelry, silver, gold, rings, earrings, pendents, and even a couple of chains. But man, come the end of the month Bob was really upset when he got the credit card bill.:laughing7:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEXT TIME STEP ON HIS LOWER ROD AND TELL HIM "NOW YOU DONT HAVE A LEG TO STAND ON" :tongue3:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Bigscoop,
Excellent humor! Awesome writing! I will be waiting for your book!
So funny!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread