SovGT-----Excal.....same thing inside just one waterproof?

marco

Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
I've read many many posts prasing both the Sov and Excal. I found a pretty scientific depth test on a range of water detectors performed by a salvage company and the depths on Sov vs Excal were almost exactly the same...and deep. Same company....multi frequency...ect. Is there really any difference except that one is waterproof and one isnt?

Upvote 0

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
The sovereign works very well and depending on how well it is set, It can find amazing things that other won't detect.

That said, it can't possibly be any less waterproof. The face and controls are almost directly perpendicular to the sky pretty much at all times. This isn't a good thing because obviously most moisture comes from the sky.

I don't bring it to Texas, because it's housing is designed so poorly, that even high humidity renders it susceptible.

If you lay the sovereign down, it very well may come to rest at the exact point where the coil cable leaves the control box
This is a design flaw that just never should have been allowed to go uncorrected.
As a result many sovereigns are fractured at the case exactly at this spot

It can be carried separate from the coil mount, and quite possibly be kept in some kind of waterproof cover like the one that was commonly available up until the time that the machine was discontinued last year.

The housing itself is an untouched 20-year-old design and very much looks and feels it

The actual search and discrimination capacity represents the pinnacle of minelabs multi frequency technology and even today is as good or better as anything else at two or even three times its price range.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used my Sov at the beach for over 6 years, it isn't water proof but it comes with a canvas carying bag that protects it very well. I do not mount mine on the shaft, it hangs from my neck or chest...

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I draped a Baggie over top of mine on Saturday afternoon before mounting it to the shaft. Then I tie wrapped the open bottom. Worked great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread