East Coast Florida. Will Today Be The day?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
East Coast Florida. The Possibilities Are Endless.

I've recently been rearranging my book shelves and filing cabinets and I came across an old folder stuffed full of old research. Now most of this stuff is very general in content but it just goes to show that the possibilities are endless every time we step onto the beach.

Just in the period dating 1521 to 1790 I have listed well over two hundred shipwrecks that in some way were said to have gone down in the vicinity of Cape Canaveral. This includes all sorts of ships from merchant ships to richly laden galleons. Most of these ships have never been found, and these are just the ones that were known about at the time of the general research.

In this research there is also information telling us that a great deal of these wrecks were looted by the area Indians, some of this cargo including “millions of pesos in bars of gold and silver and handcrafted jewelry from Mexico.” And again, what is listed is only the amount known about of the time of the general research. Now toss in all the possible contraband and the possible looting that likely wasn't recorded. According to some of my notes in this old research I was never able to find any evidence that the vast majority of this looted treasure was ever recovered. Add to this that some evidence in support of the existence of these looted treasures had been found in archeological digs over the years.

And on top of all this there is the modern era to consider, these beaches drawing constant use and passage from the 1800's to current. Spanish, French, British, on one stretch of beach alone there has even been several German coins recovered dating in the mid 1800's. How, exactly, they got there is anyone's best guess. I've personally found a few of these coins and know other hunters who have found various coins that, for all practical purposes, seem strangely out of place. Why were they there and what possibly might have been their source? Who can really say and so for now they just remain a mystery. Old bottles, ships nails, old silverware, pieces of old jewelry, items from the church, and the list goes on and on, in many cases a line of towering condos as their modern day backdrop. On one very small section of said beach two hunting partners have recovered a French, British, and German coin dating 1869, 1855, 1841 respectively. Just a row of beach homes and rental houses here.

1689 is the oldest coin that I personally know of in recent months, several from the mid-1700's at another location on the beach, this also including an amazing ecclesiastic item and two wine bottles from that same era as well. Recently brass ships nails were recovered from a different area of beach. You just never know what that next tone might be on this coast and you just never know what the treasure gods might toss your way during the next storm. This weekend the entire coast was packed with beach-goers, just as it has been nearly each day and weekend during the summer for many, many years, the amount of modern treasure lost on this coast equaling a substantial, if not a staggering deposit of accumulated wealth.

Given the slow summer conditions I thought this to be a most timely thread. And in the words of Mel Fisher, “Today's the day” because anywhere on this coast it just might be. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some old ship nails, but today wasn't the day, had a door to install, then finished up the day in the mill shop tryin to get a few projects finished. I have some custom doors to make and a banquette to start and a library... I need to mill the lumber clean before I can even start... photo.JPG

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got any aged yew in that pile? :laughing7: Yes, that's what I'm thinking. :laughing7:

Here's another project for you.....build a galleon, fill it with treasure, and then wreck it off my coast. "Please! Please! Please!" :laughing7:

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could build you a small one, but you will have to fill it with all your Booty... Thane we wreck it and i will help ya look for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions