Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friday the 4th I did my local beach with great success, so I figured Why not run down to the treasure coast for the weekend with the wife. With hopes of maybe finding something cool. Well 4hrs on Vero beaches produced a total of four targets 2 pennies and 2 fishing weights (SAD). So today I went to Wabasso beach and the Disney resort for a few hours. I got one hit and it was a small piece of aluminum wire.

Now this is VERY SAD a total of five targets from two people detecting 2 days. I also ran into another individual that was detecting and he claimed that he found a bobby pin, now I did not see it so I cannot confirm this claim.

These beaches are the cleanest metal free areas I have ever been to. They must have sand dredgers for the dry areas as well.

Unfourtionaly I wasted $400 on the trip and lost valuable 4th hunt time at my local areas. I guess live and learn. Sorry for the rant, it was just a Major let down.

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somme beaches down that way saw some replenishment but I don't recall which ones? And this is a crazy year at some beaches, some beaches really sanded in worse then others.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Were you in the dry sand or in the water?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would have to head back to Jville! I dug 6-8 targets there last Monday after 7 hours. Very sanded in!

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still have a hard time relating any area outside of vero-Stuart as the treasure coast, north is space coast and south is an area I don't go :p that being said seems like the last 6 months have produced a substantial amount of posts regarding conditions being unfavorable, it's a bummer that your hunt had minimal production, at least the views on the left and right were hopefully favorable. I would have hit the parking lot worst case after traveling such a distance. Send me a message or submit a post at the least I have some coffee to share :) next time I am sure will make up for it.

powered by pull tabs

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really quite amazing, just how quickly those targets can get sucked deep down under when there's a lot of sand piled up on the beach.

OP
OP
Mr.Excavator

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We did the soft-wet sand only . You are not allowed to go in the water. Salvage companies have the rights to water by law.

Yea I agree should have stayed here at home would have probably found some jewelry and rings, coins for sure. Friday we totaled 77 coins and some junk jewelry in 5 hrs.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely agree anyone who does not normally detect the Treasure Coast should never come here :-)
There's nothing to find here.

Mitch1FL

Oct 6, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI1500/AT-Pro/Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been detecting the Treasure Coast beach for 25 years. No sand has been placed on the beaches in the Vero-Wabasso area in a few years. There are just so many people with detectors here. The beach are kept very clean of targets. You have the sugar sanders in the early morning. You have the low tide only guys and then you have the late night guys like me. We keep it pretty clean. I was out last night. 2 cents was all I found.

MainPage1

OP
OP
Mr.Excavator

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been detecting the Treasure Coast beach for 25 years. No sand has been placed on the beaches in the Vero-Wabasso area in a few years. There are just so many people with detectors here. The beach are kept very clean of targets. You have the sugar sanders in the early morning. You have the low tide only guys and then you have the late night guys like me. We keep it pretty clean. I was out last night. 2 cents was all I found.

MainPage1

That is what I figured. With so many people going there, there is not much to find. It was a great experience to get the lay of the land. When a big storm hits I will know where to go and to stay. I will be back .

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely agree anyone who does not normally detect the Treasure Coast should never come here :-)
There's nothing to find here.
Yeah, I have to agree - LOL.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At the beach I hit, around the end of the season there are usually a a handful or targets in the dry sand and grass areas. When you move into the water, that is where the good hunting is. Even the shallow water doesn't produce much. I have the best luck in water over 3' deep.

Sounds like your beaches were just hunted hard.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Mr. excavator: My experience , in studying beach storm erosion for over 30 yrs., is the following: that when a storm/swell/waves/winds come through, with seemingly the "right ingredients" for erosion, that it affects different beaches differently. And often for just a single day or only a few days.

For example: Last February, here in CA, we had a serious south wind, that was forecast to whip up the swells to come from the south, at heights we hadn't seen for many years (from the southerly direction anyhow). So naturally many of us rushed out to the south-facing beaches, to give it a try! And there was random erosion, and random targets, at several south facing beaches. But "nothing to write home about". Finally, after sampling 4 or 5 such south-facing beaches, I tried "one last one" (by this time it was the zenith of low tide time of day). And stumbled on to a major beach bonanza! This singular beach had been scoured down several feet! For the next 3 or 4 glorious days, word trickled out, and 8 or 9 hunters harvested thousands of coins, and about 30 to 40 gold items. So many coins, that we litterally had to start rejecting all the high conductors. I mean, for like a solid hour, it would seem that you couldn't even leave an area the size of your living room in some zones! By the 4th day or so, it was starting to sand back in.

Meanwhile, beaches just a mile upstream or down-stream, seemingly having the same "fetch" (direction facing the ocean) saw little erosion.

So don't be afraid to machine gun test many beaches in the area. As one could be "going off", while another is lame. Also you gotta get there right after the storm (or even right in the middle of it!). Because something it can sand in over a single night of calm.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely agree anyone who does not normally detect the Treasure Coast should never come here :-) There's nothing to find here.

All of Florida for that matter! Everything is in Jersey or somewhere up that way!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know right? Its Florida for god sake it's all sand ...we're always sanded in.... :-(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread