Put a question to "service & repair" so far no replies..maybe someone here could anxw

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Put a question to "service & repair" so far no replies..maybe someone here could anxw

er my question:

My car was out in 80+* temps for three days..with two tornado coils & GT unit and Elite unit in the trunk. :BangHead:

now both coils are inoperable ( erratic threshold...coughing , choking, bleeping, etc)

Soooooooooo...could this possibly be due the extreme temps in the trunk ruining the inside of the coils?

I have been getting various ( yes, no, maybe) answers

Has anyone on the forum encountered this problem?

Any comments would be appreciated

thanks

Lorraine

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry to hear about your problem. Although this never has happened to me , may I offer a couple suggestions.

You know a lot of GT users in your area. I would put one of their coils on your machine and see what happens. Also,put your coil on their machine. At the very least you can determine if it's the machine or the coil that's the problem.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thanks , fsa, that's my plan, fsa; I have already contacted a few friends to do this.

I've interchanged the coils with both my units with no success, so the next step is as you suggest

Lorraine

So sorry to hear about your problem. Although this never has happened to me , may I offer a couple suggestions.

You know a lot of GT users in your area. I would put one of their coils on your machine and see what happens. Also,put your coil on their machine. At the very least you can determine if it's the machine or the coil that's the problem.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lorraine, did you drive on any dirt roads with the machine in your trunk? Maybe the bumps loosened a connection, it could be something as simple as that.

rons1947

Jul 12, 2007
Palm Bay,Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
I bought a 9" X 12" coil for my Ace 250,back in 2007 and it worked well,but I didn't use it for a few years and kept it in my garage. After a few years,I tried to use it again.It was falsing all over the place.I guess that being in that hot garage for a few years ruined it.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
No, boatlode, and I had just used the GT one day before the "3 day disaster in the sun", and it worked great.

On the day in question, I drove on the highway to the beach...got all set up...walked onto the sand, and "huh?..what's this nonsense?"

I've hunted this area tons of times , so I knew it was not a problem with any heavy mineralization; went all the way back to the car ( "no problem..I 'll just use the back-up Elite") go all the way back down to the beach.....same problem.:dontknow:

Back to the car and interchanged the coils; checked two sets of headphones...back to the beach with both units..same problem..:icon_scratch:

Took a deep breath, smiled, in like " I don't believe this" ( it was either that or cry) and headed back home to do housework and cooking :BangHead:

I should know by the end of the week what the verdict is....meanwhile, I'll gather up some of my treasures in preparation to cash in for a new Tornado slimline 10"....maybe two if I can afford it.8-)

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it :laughing7:

Thanks to all for listening .
Lorraine

Lorraine, did you drive on any dirt roads with the machine in your trunk? Maybe the bumps loosened a connection, it could be something as simple as that.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lorraine:
Physics is physics - coils made by any manufacturer, can be damaged by heat buildup.

The coils can be exposed to excessive heat, over a short period of time, by leaving them unprotected inside the car with windows closed (greatest heat buildup), unprotected in your trunk, or uncovered while lying on the sand with the sun beating down on it.
They can be also damaged over a longer period of time by leaving them in a garage whose temperature is warmer than the specified storage range for the electronic devices/components.

Alignment of the coil wires is critical; this alignment may be ruined by the coil slightly warping or the compound holding the alignment melting.

Further some coils have active electronic components in the coil. IIRC, Minilab coils for the Sovereign and Excalibur have active signal amplifiers inside the coil, which can be damaged by heat

er my question:

My car was out in 80+* temps for three days..with two tornado coils & GT unit and Elite unit in the trunk. :BangHead:

now both coils are inoperable ( erratic threshold...coughing , choking, bleeping, etc)

Soooooooooo...could this possibly be due the extreme temps in the trunk ruining the inside of the coils?

I have been getting various ( yes, no, maybe) answers

Has anyone on the forum encountered this problem?

Any comments would be appreciated

thanks

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you for your in-put Sir Gala Clad.

In all the years of detecting and taking care of my detectors, this display of negligence has caused me much grief....the
most prominent of which is "withdrawal symptoms" ; I miss detecting so very much, but by next week, I should be ready to go again.

This definitely will not happen again..unless Alzheimer's sets in some day

Lorraine

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lorraine, if you do have to replace your coil, you might want to consider the 8 by 12 coil that kellyco sells. Seem to be very popular, and are cheaper than the tornado. I think frank uses one, you might PM him for his thoughts.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you , Bob; I would have to check on the weight difference between the two.

Lorraine

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lorraine, if you do have to replace your coil, you might want to consider the 8 by 12 coil that kellyco sells. Seem to be very popular, and are cheaper than the tornado. I think frank uses one, you might PM him for his thoughts.
Bob, If you're talking about this Frank it's the 10 x 12 SEF that we're all using, and once you put it on it won't come off. The weight is comparable Lorraine and the depth will beat the 10" Tornado hands down. All the spots you hunt will seem like new ground. Just MHO.

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right about leaving it in the trunk. I reluctantly take two machines. The one I leave I cover up the COIL and HOUSING for protection, plus, quizitive eyes. I was always told never lay your coil on the hot blacktop where you park or any where hot. I also store my machines in the house. Utility sheds get hot also. This does not sound good Lorraine. Hopefully they'll settle down and miraculously start up again.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Bob, If you're talking about this Frank it's the 10 x 12 SEF that we're all using, and once you put it on it won't come off. The weight is comparable Lorraine and the depth will beat the 10" Tornado hands down. All the spots you hunt will seem like new ground. Just MHO.

Thank you, fsa46;

Do you mean that the SEF can never be removed from the shaft once it is put in place?

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thanks, Sonny.
It would be a miracle if they started up again .....and I could once again hear that nice, smooth buzz.:icon_thumleft:

Lorraine

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
all is not lost. left mine in 94degree car all day. coil looked like a bent rim on a bicycle. slap on a new tornado good to go

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may not be that bad Lorraine:
Even though metal detectors are considered fragile sensitive instruments which require care in transporting, handling and storing as stated by Doctor Fisher (IIRC). Metal Detectors are designed for rough use and can take a surprising amount of abuse from shock and excessive heat. Hopefully you may find the damage slight and easily repairable by replacing the battery, search coil(s), headsets. It is also possible that the equipment may not have been damaged as mineralization levels on a beach constantly changes or there may have been lightening/EMI interference.
It may be that your batteries have deteriorated over time or the battery cells may have shorted as a result of the high temperature. I would carefully inspect these batteries before charging. If they charge normally, they will fully charge and should the charge over several hours of detecting use. Please note that since the battery is common (feeds current) to the control box and search coils, a bad / marginal batter can cause the symptoms you described.
A high resistance in the connector or a pulled pin in the cable can cause the same symptoms, that is why I carefully check all connections and connect and reconnect a few time to insure that the contacts are good. If you experience problems with your threshold dropping in and out for no reason, lightly jiggle the cables to determine if the pins in the wire have been pulled.
Since I do not have any test instrument I would most likely do a simple air test in my home, office, or better my back yard. Be aware that if you do it near your home there will be some Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) from the refrigerator, lighting – especially fluorescent and other electronic devices. This test is normally used to build confidence in your detector; however a shorter version of it can be used to fault isolate.
I set the threshold to a slight buzzing sound, sensitivity to low (to reduce effects of EMI) and discrimination to maximum, Volume to Maximum.
With these settings, a tone should blast out, when any of the below targets are rapidly swept across the search coil: Zinc Penny, Clad Coins, Silver coins/jewelry. Satisfactory completion of this test verifies your capability to detect highly conductive targets.
Next decrease the discrimination to near min and rapidly sweep any of the below targets across the front or rear of the search coil: Can Slaw, Pull Tabs, gold: ring/coin/jewelry. Successful completion of these tests verifies you ability to detective low conductive targets
Finally set your detector to pin point/all metal and test by rapidly sweeping iron target(s) in front or back of the search coil. You should lose threshold (Null) followed by a growling sound.
Better yet, if you can find an iron free area in your back yard, put these targets of a beach towel and test by sweeping your search coil across them. You can run at a higher sensitivity as you will be less affected by EMI.
Note: If you can hear target tones on the detector speaker but are not able to hear these tones on the headphones – the headphones are defective or there is a high resistance in the headphone connection.
I would connect and reconnect the connectors several times to remove any corrosion that may have built up.
If none of the above tests passed, even after installing a known good search coil. The problem is most likely in the control box (brain dead) which most likely have to be returned for repair/repair. As the Sovereign went out of production, I would definitely look into purchase of a new GT with extended warranty or the heavier CTX 3030 which is more sensitive and selective for your use.[
Please send a PM if you need additional information.

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I was talking about you fsa46, and I did mess up on the description. And Lorraine, I also think that he means you'll like it so much, you won't want to take it off.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THE CHEAP MACHINE YOU READ ABOUT ME BUYING FOR MY SON WHEN HE WAS YOUNG - I USED TO KEEP IT IN THE BACK OF MY CAR AND LOAN IT TO PEOPLE THAT LOST KEYS AND WHAT NOT IN THEIR YARDS - LEFT IT IN THERE ONE HOT SUMMER DAY - IT MELTED /WARPED REALLY BAD - WAS USELESS
I USED TO LEAVE MY OLD WHITES PI IN THERE YRS AGO - IT CAUSE PROBS WITH THE SEAL OF THE BOX
LIVE AND LEARN

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, fsa46;

Do you mean that the SEF can never be removed from the shaft once it is put in place?

Lorraine

No, (as Bob stated in his last post), I mean you'll like it so much you won't want to use your other coils.

Last edited:

2Peas

May 26, 2014
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lorraine, might want to try to find another coil to see if the problem is in the controls or the coil or batteries. Reverse ruling out things.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lorraine - if you call or email company with no quick response - try your brands forum
Brands
I have found sometimes people that work for the companys sometimes frequent there and you may get a quick response

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread