Put a question to "service & repair" so far no replies..maybe someone here could anxw

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Put a question to "service & repair" so far no replies..maybe someone here could anxw

er my question:

My car was out in 80+* temps for three days..with two tornado coils & GT unit and Elite unit in the trunk. :BangHead:

now both coils are inoperable ( erratic threshold...coughing , choking, bleeping, etc)

Soooooooooo...could this possibly be due the extreme temps in the trunk ruining the inside of the coils?

I have been getting various ( yes, no, maybe) answers

Has anyone on the forum encountered this problem?

Any comments would be appreciated

thanks

Lorraine

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the suggestions, Casper...I'll try that.

Lorraine
'

Lorraine - if you call or email company with no quick response - try your brands forum
Brands
I have found sometimes people that work for the companys sometimes frequent there and you may get a quick response

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The heat probably done them in, Lorraine. I pulled a dumb stunt and fried my GTI-2500 the other day. We've had a lot of break ins in our area and I had to take Mama to a doctor out of town Monday. I did what I always do and put both my detectors in the shower and closed the door and put a towel over the door so nobody would see them in there was a burglary.
Usually I put the 2500 in the corner and the At/Pro in the middle but was in a hurry and did it backwards. I've never had any water leak from the shower head with the valve turned off, but it did for some reason this time. When I took the detectors out and saw the water on the console and tried to wipe it off, I realized the water was inside the console. A smart man would have drained the water and waited a few days, but I had a senior moment and turned it on to see if it would still work. Wrong decision. Fried the circuit board and it was making a noise like a tormented devil in a lake of fire and the only way to stop it was to remove the battery pack. When I turned it up, water just gushed out of the console. I should have known better, but when you're tired and get excited, the old brain stops working sometime. I guess we both have to send out detectors and coils off to be tested now. I really don't need this expense right now and it's just my back-up detector since I mostly water hunt these days, but I'm calling Garrett for a return number tomorrow. Live and learn.
I try to follow the Lord and live right, but he knows this child ain't too bright. My dumb stunt file just keeps getting bigger and bigger and my smart file just keeps getting smaller and smaller.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you for your reply , fongu .I can relate to all that you wrote.

Sorry about the mishap with your detectors. I like the GTI, and may get one in the near future.

It would not have been so bad had it not been that my "back-up" also got fried; I was left with nothing, but am looking forward to a new coil and renewed enthusiasm for this terrific hobby.

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you, rons1947

Lorraine

Diggin Dave

May 20, 2013
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (Waterproofed)
Primary Interest:
Sorry to hear about your detectors Lorraine, that's a real bummer. Hope you get them straightened out soon so you can get back out there. I've been storing my GT in the garage. I think I'll now bring it inside...

Tc, Dave

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Hope the problem solves itself. I'm worried now, I have a Pickup truck with a camper top, and usually leave a spare in the Back, its been over 90' degree's-goldnugget- trying to attach a Video on what to look for at the Beach.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Nice video, goldnugget.

That's the type of terrain that I love to detect at; bet there is lots more along that edge.

HH
Lorraine

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right, Lorraine. At least I have the At/Pro and the GTI was my back up. I've decided to wait until next Monday and put the batteries back in and try it before I call Garrett. Good luck and hope you get back to detecting soon. Think I will stay away from the river for a few weeks. Wrote two letters today at the library asking for permission to metal detect some older properties and will mail them in the am. Stumbled across some information on this area I've been looking at going down the road and found out something about it the other day and hope to contact the owner next week. Used to be used for community picnics and Confederate days for decades. Probably been hunted because the lady at the library has a husband who metal detects and if anybody knows the history of this town, they do. Hope you get to dirt fish real soon and both of us have better luck with our detectors.

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the verdict on the machines Lorraine ?

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lorraine, I put the batteries back into my 2500 and it started making lots of noise. After pushing the reset 3-4 times, it quieted down. when I test scanned different coins, 5,10, .01 & 25 cents, instead of sounding or beeping twice with the concentric coil, it would beep 2-3 or 3-4 times on one coin. Didn't matter if it was penny, nickel, dime or quarter. Think I will take it out tomorrow and see what happens. Praying I don't have to send it back for repair.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread