Questions about river hunting

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my AT Pro since I live around a lot rivers and creeks, but I have not done much water hunting. The one river in particular is so trashy it isn't even worth trying to detect it. My question is regarding just going out and "eyeing" finds. I saw one of Aquachiggers videos on YouTube of him just snorkeling (maybe scuba) a river where there is a lot of current activity i.e whitewater rafting and swimming. He didn't use his detector because there were too many targets. He of course made it look easy and recovered some really nice items (like always haha). I have areas like that near me. Has anyone ever attempted to forgo the detector and just scan the river bottom for finds? If so what about waters with a fast current? What gear or tools do you use? Any tips are appreciated I may go out this weekend and give water hunting a solid try in a good area.

Thanks in advance

JS

Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Be careful wading in fast current rivers especially wearing waders. If you get swept away and your waders fill up, good luck trying to swim you will sink like a rock. Don't risk going to deep in fast moving waters wearing waders. Get a pair of hip waders and start off going knee deep if this is your first time water hunting till you get used to it and comfortable. Always be aware of your surroundings when water hunting. Us treasure hunters have our heads down always looking at the ground so any unexpected surprise can seriously injure you when you are busy staring at the dirt. Rivers have logs floating and debris that can come up from behind you while your retrieving a target and knock you over or drag you along. The AT pro is a great detector for hunting rivers, streams and lakes. I love my AT pro and if you're using it in areas with lots of iron and junk, the iron audio feature is so awesome. If I'm hunting in iron junk infested areas I turn on the iron audio and listen for those solid crisp signals in between the iron grunting. You will pick out those goodies other detectors have trouble with in junky areas. I hope this helps some what and best of luck with your AT pro. Awesome machine!! Be safe and happy hunting.

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I do a lot of river diving both with and without my Excalibur I find a lot of sunglasses go pro cameras and pretty much any thing people would have on them rafting or fishing. Get your self a wetsuit and some flipper and have fun.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have an AT-Pro and want to try to detect on the Youghiogheny, as it is not far from me. Lots of history on the "Yough" from George Washington to the present day. Lots of junk too that gets washed down river during the spring floods. Has to be something interesting there.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done some river diving, but mostly freshwater springs and lakes way before detecting and now have the gear to go detecting but no one to go with. Not real crazy about diving alone, especially in a river. For sure get a good pair of either neoprene gloves or cut resistant gloves. Lots of dangerous stuff down there that will cut you will probing around. And ALWAYS have a dive knife on hand either on your leg or bc.

OP
OP
treasurehunter313

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done some river diving, but mostly freshwater springs and lakes way before detecting and now have the gear to go detecting but no one to go with. Not real crazy about diving alone, especially in a river. For sure get a good pair of either neoprene gloves or cut resistant gloves. Lots of dangerous stuff down there that will cut you will probing around. And ALWAYS have a dive knife on hand either on your leg or bc.
yeah I am nervous to go alone and probably won't in the one river near me it's too large and has undercurrents... I will start in smaller creeks and lakes

OP
OP
treasurehunter313

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have an AT-Pro and want to try to detect on the Youghiogheny, as it is not far from me. Lots of history on the "Yough" from George Washington to the present day. Lots of junk too that gets washed down river during the spring floods. Has to be something interesting there.
I am going near the yough today I found an old housing plant on a topo map from 1902. I'm near the mon and tough and I go out a lot (on land) PM me if you ever want to try to set up a hunt

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use a snorkel and mask in shallow water or make yourself a sniping tool. There are some videos on you tube about how to do this. Here is the link: http://www.goldpanningbc.com/
This is a site about gold prospecting, but I've been planning to build a sniping tool myself. The video would not load for me for some reason and it is probably on you tube under gold panning bc . Good luck river hunting.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I want to learn to dive! "Hint. Hint." :laughing7:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on anytime. We need a Hookah setup

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use a dive knife, put it on the inside of your leg so it won't snag on your equipment or anything else. I always carry a small pocket knife because I got tangled up in some fishing line at the river one time and without the knife, it would have been a hassle. Years ago when I was about 12 and that was 48 years ago, they let the river down so people could do their dock maintenance. I decided to wade out into the middle of the river and see what I could find and stepped into some soft mud and bogged up to my waist. If the water had been at normal level, I would have drowned. Took me almost an hour to get out and then I lost a shoe. Just be careful out there. If you can find somebody you can get along with, it's safer to go with a buddy. I'm a loner myself, but thank goodness everybody isn't like me. GL & HH.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Same thing happened to me I was detecting along the shore of a swimming pond that was getting really mucky and I sank up to my knees in my waders. Was almost like quick sand. Nobody around and was a bit of a scare. You can sink pretty quick in spots. Luckily too I wasn't in water. If you're ever detecting around swampy mucky areas, that long handled scoop could keep you from sinking and save your life

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a lot of snorkeling and dive hear and there.
Sounds like Fletch has too.
Good gloves and a knife a must.
Don't forget to fan the bottom where there is hard bottom with loose material on top.
I find a lot of fossils that way.
Depending on where you are especially if its "old water" you will come across all sorts of things including Native American artifacts fossils and more modern items.
Don't bother with waders... A wetsuit comes in handy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
treasurehunter313

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips I'm looking forward to doing it at some point this summer

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a flat bar for digging. I can pry with one end and dig with the other. The rivers I go in are very clear so this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread