My Saturday at the Beach

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know how you wake up in the morning sometimes with that, today's going to be an interesting day, feeling. Well, that was morning as I wiped the previous night's dreams out of my eyes, See ya, darlings. I have to head to the beach now. So I eat my boiled egg and toast, pack my cooler, load my gear, and then I head for the pull-tab fields.

So there I am, first vehicle on the beach at 8:00am sharp, park my vehicle and spend the next thirty minutes watching the walkers, joggers, bicyclers, and then those other folks that simply leave you guessing as to what they're going. Just another typical morning on the beautifully peaceful beach.

At about 8:30am four cars traveling together decide to fall a line on one side of me, and I gotta tell you, these folks had to be the biggest people I have ever seen. By my best guess all of them stood six-foot and none of them were under 325lbs, and the men were even bigger. I didn't do an actual head count but there was at least eight or ten of them. I didn't stare, just kept watching the folks on the beach and the group of pelicans feeding on a school of baitfish out in front of me.

No doubt about it, I could tell right away that my new neighbors were from Georgia, those thick southern accents being unmistakable. As soon as I heard them speaking the first thing that came to my mind was biscuits and gravy, not sure why but that's the honest truth. So there I am, sitting in my vehicle and suddenly I can't get a big old plate of southern biscuits and gravy out of mind. Heck, could darn near smell them.

This is about the time I get a new neighbor on the other side of me, no doubt these folks were Jamaican. If you've ever been to Jamaica then you couldn't possibly forget the drawn out language and mannerisms of these folks, calypso music is now playing softly in the background and suddenly I'm wanting to have a big plate of steaming southern biscuits and gravy on a tropical Jamaican beach. Good lord! It's only 9:37am and I'm already feeling starved to death.

A box of Louisiana style chicken, that's what I took to the beach today for lunch and by 9:49am I'm already sitting in my vehicle feasting on it. At 9:53am I suddenly realize that those huge southern folks next to me are silently watching me take every bite. Now I gotta tell you, I'm only 5' 8” and about 137lbs soaking wet and their silent stares gave me a serious case of the spooks. It was like an over set to broil on the beach this morning and by 10:00am I'm sitting in my vehicle with the windows rolled up and the doors locked eating Louisiana style chicken. If I ate a pound of chicken it's certain I sweat out three or four pounds sitting in my home made sauna vehicle this morning. When I finally built up enough courage to step out of the vehicle to walk over to the trash can so I could trow the empty bucket and scraps away I felt there was a good chance that I was gonna get a real down home southern style ass whipping, in Jamaica no less.

It's 10:30am and I still got over an hour to kill before the tide slacks off enough for me to hit the water to do my thing. On one side of me I have a bunch of huge southern folks singing ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall, and on the other side of me they're playing Red-Red Wine, and I got neither! And if this isn't bad enough now Beach Patrol has pulled over asked me if I'd move my vehicle one way or the other a little bit so a nice looking gentleman and his wife could park their big truck on one side of me. Go figure, first one of the beach this morning and I'm the one who's apparently taking two parking places. Go figure. But, why not, now I just needed to decide which way I wanted to move.

Now I have nothing against huge women until they come to the beach wearing bikinis that were obviously made for a toddler. At his point I figure I'll take my chances with the voodoo crowd since their tattoos look harmless and their gold and silver chains have a strange allure about them. Five minutes later it's all done and the nice gentleman in the big white truck is now walking over to thank me, I assume. “I'll tell you,” he says, “if you want to stop obesity in this country then Obama needs to quit giving them everything for free.” Obviously, I should have never agreed to move my vehicle. I'm telling you, at that moment low tide couldn't get closer fast enough.

Strange I hadn't noticed, but by 11:00am there were so many canopies set up on the beach I couldn't see the water from my vehicle anymore. Puff! And just like that the beach was so crowded it reminded me of an ant colony. First you see one, then a tiny stream of them, and then thousands of them streaming out in every direction. That poor fiddler crab must have felt like he just emerged from a manhole cover on a busy Manhattan freeway. Seagulls perched on the top of condos because there's apparently, and very suddenly, nowhere safe to land on the beach. Kites and friz-bees and footballs and drones are flying, surfboards and belly-boards and boogie-boards and paddle boards and kayaks are all cruising, people are moving in and out of the water while others are moving up and down the beach, and all of this without any air-traffic controller or crossing guards. And I'm thinking of going metal detecting? Am I completely nuts! Apparently so.

Four hours later I emerged from the water victorious, no gold or silver or anything of real value, BUT, I did return to my vehicle alive and uninjured and there was still food and cold soda left in my cooler. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another day in the life of a dedicated dirt fisher, Bigscoop. I used to love Popeye's fried chicken when I worked in La., but the Popeye's joints in south, Ga don't know how to cook like the people in La. did. Maybe those large sized folks gave you some shade. Mama cooked some biscuits from scratch with coconut oil instead of lard and we both like to OD'D on biscuits and scrambled eggs and fresh mild sausage links covered in real cane syrup. We've both almost stopped eating bread, but had to give in to our biscuit addiction the other day. Maybe you need an under water drone or rov, check out this link:OPENROV
You control the water and the tourists control the air and parking lots.
It could have been worse, they could have been wearing thongs instead of bikinis. I know the last time I went to the river was July-5th and a huge crowd was there and thought I was nuts for being fully dressed in the water. When I took off my dive boots and pulled the under armor socks off, there was a white leg alert sent out and everybody had to put on sunglasses. Please don't do that anymore, mister. We're trying to have a good time and anybody this white must be up to no good.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a bunch of honey boo boo's gone wild! LoL Good thing you didn't load up with the Rastafarian, you may have had to make another trip for chicken and powdered donuts. HELLO :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a bunch of honey boo boo's gone wild! LoL Good thing you didn't load up with the Rastafarian, you may have had to make another trip for chicken and powdered donuts. HELLO :)

I thought about tossing some bread crumbs into the air for the seagulls but the possibility of my southern neighbors going after them also brought about unpleasant visions involving beach patrol again. :laughing7:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
When I first saw your post I said to myself, "Self, it's a beach posting with no pictures again."

...I clicked on the post anyway.

I'm sure glad, after reading you descriptions, you had NO pictures.

I didn't have to try to poke the images out of my mind with an icepick. Spandex should be a felony for some people.

Since you left so early you did not get the see the carnage and trash left behind...

Keep up the great hunts!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go Gib.....my morning wasn't all that bad. Everyone should be so lucky to live this life........to have these mornings.
beach2.jpg

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Now's that's peaceful.

...and no spandex!

Your surf's a little higher than our side of the state, but we don't have the same shot at getting cobs that you do... give and take I suppose.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yikes I am up in Phila seeing a friend. I was headed to Geno's for a cheese steak. You changed my mind Federal Donuts to get fried chicken & donuts!!!!! Wash it down with Franks black cherry Wishniak soda.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now's that's peaceful.

...and no spandex!

Your surf's a little higher than our side of the state, but we don't have the same shot at getting cobs that you do... give and take I suppose.

Those are babies, been very mild here this year. "Way too much sand" on the beach this year. Even our positive tide cycles have been pretty flat and pretty mild by comparison. Just been nothing to move any sand in any significant way. It just keeps coming in.

D-TEX

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if I understand why you went to the beach in the first place ?

I can understand doing a little people watching and munching a bite

but why did you waste prime hunt time by waiting until low tide ?

Why did you not hunt the knee deep ( or deeper ) as the tide was

dropping around you ? This kind of wasting prime time I don't

understand.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if I understand why you went to the beach in the first place ?

I can understand doing a little people watching and munching a bite

but why did you waste prime hunt time by waiting until low tide ?

Why did you not hunt the knee deep ( or deeper ) as the tide was

dropping around you ? This kind of wasting prime time I don't

understand.

I know my beaches pretty well......which is why I didn't waste my energy and time doing as you suggest. :laughing7: Low tide was around 2:30, I hit the water around 12:00, came out around 4:00. Hunted what I wanted/planned to hunt and came home. :thumbsup:

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any day at the beach is better than a day sitting home. Your stories always make me smile and miss Florida even more!

goen 4 gold

Apr 12, 2012
bellevue ohio
Detector(s) used
WHITES- dfx,dx1,d2 coil 4x6 shooter coil.....
beach hunter id 300, vibra probe pin pointer.....
GARRETT-ace 250

warren tweed pick,
GPAA pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome way of describing just another day at the beach! well written!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome way of describing just another day at the beach! well written!

A bit of satire tossed in helps the day along. :laughing7: I see you're from the Fort. I lived there for about 12 years, until 2007. Always liked living there.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to mow, and glue up some panels, so your day was better than mine...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread