Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run full sensitivity, all metal mode and dig it all. Make sure the tone isn't too loud or you'll miss deeper targets by not hearing faint tones. I LOVE mine. The learning curve is not too bad (I have an AT pro as well). I mostly hunt dry/wet sand and if calm enough, in the shallow surf.

Good luck and enjoy!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add a straight shaft right away, and then once the warranty runs out, add the remote PP switch and upgrade the headphones. The Excal is good out of the box but with these suggested mods it becomes fabulous. :thumbsup:

I use both modes of opperation, never any disc in disc mode as the machine will null over iron anyway. I always run as high as sensitivity as I can while still achieving machine stability.Run the threshold just high enough that you can hear it and the volume high enough that you'll be able to hear any faints or threshold breaks over the ambiant noise.

Last edited:

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red why not buy a PI and get more depth... your diggin it all anyway, at least a double beep is ...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrads on the New Machine, Good choice!

I would refer to the Excalibur post at the top of the Beach n Shallow water forum here.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...calibur-2-metal-detector-sounds-settings.html

I would suggest hunt in Discriminate and learning the machine before you go hunting in PP/Allmetal. And I might suggest washing it down once an awhile and using silicon spray on the cords.

So I am guess we will see your name change soon? WVAWaterhunter?

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
check out Brian Mayer :icon_thumright:on Youtube he has some great videos on the Excalibur ll hope this helps

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to everything OBN says Joe is our best source of great information and new mods. Peltor mod a must after warranty runs out. Straight shaft will make balance much better. I mounted mine above the elbow. Have fun

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe is using a new design for the headphones... skullies II. OUTSTANDING design with the CTX connector. It allows you to use the GGA and skullies.... but it also allows you to use the CTX phones like the yellow ones. They run about $150...... sending one to ML for a headphone change is $250 for the same phones. 003.jpg

This is a picture of mine with the connector. Sweet pair of phones. As far as settings.... if you use disc: disc 1, volume full (some use 3/4 for modulation for deep targets) Sensitivity is going to be based on conditions, threshold.... a slight buzz with the first pitch hold you hear... if you go to low it will break up deeper targets and you may think they are falsing or iron. Most people wont recommend using PP without the PP switch because those tiny knobs are tight and switching back and forth you will break the switch.

Dew

Dew

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Excals are like the jeep saying......if you don't own one you wouldn't understand!
Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
I have had my Excalibur 2 for about one year and I still am trying to learn the different settings and sounds. My advice is to read the book you get with it over and over again. You will always see something you missed when you read it before. I take it one line at a time and when they reference another page I look it up right away to help me understand the topic at hand.
I find that if I leave my Discrimination on #9 it will eliminate most junk and it always is dead on for the high pitch sound of a quarter or a dime. The penny has a lower sound. Pull tabs are hard to eliminate but you learn after a while what might be a pull tab or not. I dig them anyways so as to not miss any good targets.
When I get a good sound for a quarter I only dig it if it is not a large or long target. Those long targets are cans maybe 6 inches down and give a good strong reading for a quarter thats close to the top of the surface. I hate wasting time on the hunting field digging deep only to find a can. I have found silver rings on #9 but no gold yet.
They sell a waist belt for the control on this machine. I finally got one and it works great It takes the weight off the rod. I actually made mine.
One last thing, if you beach hunt, make sure you take the coil cover off every after a hunt and use a garden hose to clean it and the rest of the detector.
Good luck. Dave P.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the new Excalibur! I love using mine with a carbon fiber shaft! It balances the machine and it becomes a joy to use! Also, get Clives book on the Excal! It will advance you quickly and get you comfortable with the ins and out of the Excal!
Best of luck!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave .... you are making a funny right about disc on 9???? Since you are knocking out almost ALL gold targets.... you are only getting high conductors my man. If you aint digging EVERYTHING but iron and shallow bottle caps you ARE missing gold. I hope you havent been doing that for a year. Ensure you have a tight, but not overly tight coil.... because most of the falsing comes from the coil flipping up loosing GB in the shallower water.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave I'm with Dew if you have your discrimination set to 9 you have discriminated out all most all gold except 24k.... The lower Kt has been mixed with other metals that you discriminated out on 9...

I use NO discrimination at all.....If you want to find gold turn off that discrimination or set it no higher than 1

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I highly recommend Gary Drayton's book on the Excalibur. Terrific! You'll quickly learn from his experience and expertise rather the the long hard way of trial and error.
Great machine!!! The best of luck with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread