Lost ring and jewelry retrieval service in Cancun, Mx.

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey guys,

I've been living in Cancun, Mx. for the past 2 years, I recently received a msg from a couple who found my forum post on T-net. They were on their honeymoon and lost their wedding ring in the ocean behind the resort, I went out immediately to help them find their lost jewelry.

It gave me the idea, I could help ppl who visit, the area Is huge! Tulum, Cancun, and the Riveria Maya (Mayan Riveria) "

I made a quick Youtube video, incase anyone is needing help hopefully they'll run into my video! What do you guys think? I just don't like the name "Cancun Lost Jewelry Metal Detecting Beach Recovery Service"

All your opinions are valued, maybe someone has tried something like this before to help ppl out?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a service like this and advise you to claim a $$$ amount up front to save you from wasting your time looking for something that was never lost They just wanna see the nerd look for the "Rolex." I gave the deposit back usually and sometimes I charged $50 if I had to drive a ways. Its more exciting to look for something that "could be" lost where your hunting.

What ever name you choose make up business cards.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to Sandman, hardly a day goes by when someone isn't approaching me on the beach asking me to help them find something, jewelry, keys, glasses, you name it. While it's nice to help people out "from time to time" it can also cost you considerable time and money in the long run, especially true if the area becomes dependent on you and your "nice helpful nature". And like Sandman has already advised, some people just love to mess with other people, having you look for things that never even existed just so they can watch you go through all the motions for their personal enjoyment.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Check out TheRingFinders.com. I belong and have never had a problem in returning over 100 rings. I do not charge for my "service"; a Thank You note is appreciated. TRFs charge $40/year membership. They are world wide. Right now there is only one RingFinder in Mexico (Mexico City, Toluca City). Keep in mind: Rewards are taxable, gifts are not.

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it, so I should charge $ to filter ppl out for those who are truly in real need, gotcha!

Theringfinders.com? Do you get a lot of messages? Ppl looking ? Doesn't seem like a lot of ppl visit the site if they claim only 1,300 rings have been found out of all the countries they listed

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
I personally do not charge for anything, it is my hobby and if I can help some one out of a bad situation I do. Some others do charge for gas mileage, time, etc. Talking to a person you can sort out the "imposters", which I have never run into. I have referred some people to others (a RingFinder or MD Club) because they were way out of my area to travel.

As for the RingFinders, there are less than 250 of us. Many of the returns are not posted for one reason or another. I.e. the person does not wish it to be posted, insurance reasons, etc. I don't have the stats by year, but TheRingFinders started 5 years ago, with only 1 person. I have averaged about 9 contacts a year for the past 2 1/2 years I have been a member.

Since I started swinging a detector I have returned over 100 rings. I love the hobby and even if I had the 100 rings and sold them, they would not change my lifestyle. But the Karma and the people I have helped and met have made great memories for me. A Thank You note and pictures will be things I can revisit when I am no longer able to metal detect as I do today. You will only get out of the hobby what you put into it.

I wish you luck in your endeavor, no matter how you personally handle any charges etc.

TRFcard.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread