Towed Detector Sled

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
If thers was an underwater coil that could be towed underwater that could cover a wide area and detect rings would you consider purchasing it?

Tesoro has/had a 18 inch by 3 1/2 inch clean sweep coil that has me thinking.

Maybe something 18 to 30 inches?

All im sure of is that I would want a coil that I could tow behind a kayak or boat that would detect rings!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sound stupid to me, I guess you don't water hunt ? Most boats are not allow in swimming areas.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey chlsbrns,
Besides what Ron pointed out, this idea unfortunately would just not be pratical. There is no 100% way to determine what is and what is not a ring, as most md'ers know to find rings you have to do due diligence and dig up your fair share of pull tabs, foil, nickels, etc. So even if you were to come up with some towed search coil that plotted all the hits that you glided over, the best you would be able to do is see where there are concentrations of hits to venture back to and search out. Now if you happen to have a trashy beach, this would not help you much. Also the reward to time spent ratio would not be in your favor simply because tides and currents shift items around all the time. So if you spent the morning plotting an area out to find your target concentrations, most likely by the time you return those targets would have moved. Your better off just sticking to the tried and true method of water hunting; but, hats off to you for trying to come up with something out of the box! :)

Good luck and happy hunting.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt I would use it for rings, unless I had to manually tow it, but could use it for large iron objects under the sand etc

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Best thing is to train a river otter with a coil collar. When the otter hears the beep it will retrive the target and move on. I have a simular setup with a dolphin.

sponge using smoke signals.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
This sound stupid to me, I guess you don't water hunt ? Most boats are not allow in swimming areas.

I water hunt from a kayak beyond the surf. When there are storms that push stuff up onto the beach where do you think the stuff comes from?

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey chlsbrns,
Besides what Ron pointed out, this idea unfortunately would just not be pratical. There is no 100% way to determine what is and what is not a ring, as most md'ers know to find rings you have to do due diligence and dig up your fair share of pull tabs, foil, nickels, etc. So even if you were to come up with some towed search coil that plotted all the hits that you glided over, the best you would be able to do is see where there are concentrations of hits to venture back to and search out. Now if you happen to have a trashy beach, this would not help you much. Also the reward to time spent ratio would not be in your favor simply because tides and currents shift items around all the time. So if you spent the morning plotting an area out to find your target concentrations, most likely by the time you return those targets would have moved. Your better off just sticking to the tried and true method of water hunting; but, hats off to you for trying to come up with something out of the box! :)

Good luck and happy hunting.

Im not wanting something that discriminates rings. I want something wide that will cover a large area that will detect rings along with other things the size of a ring. Fisher has a 4' x 8" coil. It detects large/deep but won't detect rings.

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about weeds, rocks, debris,etc, that would damage the coil, coil wire during towing, I think it would be real expensive unit, just to be rip apart.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chlsbrns,
The larger the coil the less sensitive it will be to smaller objects like rings. The reason is a bit techie but a basic way to understand it is that the larger the field generated by the coil the more metal it takes to distort the field so that the detector picks up the info and generates a signal. The next problem you have with larger coils is that they will typically see all the targets inside their field~ lots of chatter. You've probably read it here or know it yourself.

Large sled type coils are really only good if the area your detecting is pretty clean of trash and what your looking for is of some size~ typically bigger than a one ounce silver coin. I've seen sled type detectors used in Western Australia and seen information of water sleds used for treasure hunting off the coast. In a river I'd advise a good set of waders and a moderate coil. Lots of stuff gets into the water and most of its trash~ bubba don't like to haul his beer cans out so he sink's em.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
chlsbrns, it won't work. I'm not talking about "coil sizes" here, for the moment, but .... just anything you can "tow" or "drag" underwater like you're thinking. Perhaps for finding concentrations of metal-in-general (like if you're trying to locate shipwreck site or something). But no, not for individual fumble fingers targets, like rings, etc....

I learned the hard way when this happened: There was a muddy estuary tide-finger to the ocean, where we were helping the sherrifs look for a gun (that had supposedly been thrown into this water-way, by the fleeing trigger-man). So we picked a minus tide day, assuming we would walk right out on dry land. However, it was sticky gooey mud, and we would immediately sink up to our knees! Doh. So we devised another ingenious method: Wait till high tide, and take a flat bottom skiff or canoe out there. Then simply drift with the breeze, while having the coil lowered into the ~ 3 or 4 ft. deep water. Sounds genius, right? Wrong. Well, sure, we'd get "beeps". But then there is simply no way to re-swing over the object, since you are blind to the bottom (cloudy dark water). And as you try to swing left and ring to center (to get an idea of the size, if it was the object we were looking for or not), was impossible. Because the boat is subtly drifting, so you have no reference point of swinging, re-scanning, etc.... And praytell, even if you COULD get a signal, and COULD pinpoint it (ableit blindly which I'm saying won't work), then how did you plan to retreive it ?

Thus no, sledding, towing, dragging, etc.... is going to be an exercise in futility, when it comes to individual objects. No one gets a single "beep" and digs. We ALL criss-cross, move subtly up and back to size out, etc... And those type things can not be done from above water, unless you're standing there, feet planted firm and stationary. Can't be done from over a boat. Unless, as I say, you're merely looking for the presence of metal in general (shipwrecks, etc..).

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the article that got me thinking:

Lost Treasure Field Test Report Tesoro Clean Sweep Search Coil | Lost Treasure Online - Official Website of Lost Treasure Magazine

The 18" x 3.5" widescan coil is waterproof and will hit on rings. I would prefer 24" to 30" but doubt it will work.

Im a nut and would try just about anything! I should get a sea sled, mount my coil and get my buddy to tow me behind her kayak with a trolling motor. I could let go on a hit, she would feel that I let go and stop trolling. I could then use a vibra tector to pinpoint and recover.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
chlsbrns, it won't work. I'm not talking about "coil sizes" here, for the moment, but .... just anything you can "tow" or "drag" underwater like you're thinking. Perhaps for finding concentrations of metal-in-general (like if you're trying to locate shipwreck site or something). But no, not for individual fumble fingers targets, like rings, etc....

I learned the hard way when this happened: There was a muddy estuary tide-finger to the ocean, where we were helping the sherrifs look for a gun (that had supposedly been thrown into this water-way, by the fleeing trigger-man). So we picked a minus tide day, assuming we would walk right out on dry land. However, it was sticky gooey mud, and we would immediately sink up to our knees! Doh. So we devised another ingenious method: Wait till high tide, and take a flat bottom skiff or canoe out there. Then simply drift with the breeze, while having the coil lowered into the ~ 3 or 4 ft. deep water. Sounds genius, right? Wrong. Well, sure, we'd get "beeps". But then there is simply no way to re-swing over the object, since you are blind to the bottom (cloudy dark water). And as you try to swing left and ring to center (to get an idea of the size, if it was the object we were looking for or not), was impossible. Because the boat is subtly drifting, so you have no reference point of swinging, re-scanning, etc.... And praytell, even if you COULD get a signal, and COULD pinpoint it (ableit blindly which I'm saying won't work), then how did you plan to retreive it ?

Thus no, sledding, towing, dragging, etc.... is going to be an exercise in futility, when it comes to individual objects. No one gets a single "beep" and digs. We ALL criss-cross, move subtly up and back to size out, etc... And those type things can not be done from above water, unless you're standing there, feet planted firm and stationary. Can't be done from over a boat. Unless, as I say, you're merely looking for the presence of metal in general (shipwrecks, etc..).

So what your saying is a muddy finger is a good place to get rid of evidence. I see what your sayin. I come across that stuff in my river hunts.

sponge using smoke signals.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I water hunt from a kayak beyond the surf. When there are storms that push stuff up onto the beach where do you think the stuff comes from?
The stuff come from people who walk from the beach into the water, not from the water to the beach !!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OVERKILL!!!!!! how you been doing? still thinking i see!:headbang:

chuck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread